JW Marriott At 806 Main St. & Expansion Into Battlestein’s - 812 Main St.

Houston19514

This is excellent news. I just checked out their website (Pearl Real Estate) and their only "urban" conversion right now is the Embassy Suites in Ft Worth. Since Embassy Suites is building new, I wonder who the brand might be? They are opening a new build Westin in Austin in 2012 so maybe it will be a Westin????

I used to work in the 806 Main Bldg from 1993 to 1996. It was a strange old place but it did have tunnel access and adjacent parking. Main St was very different back then and the street level walk to the courthouses from there was always an adventure, especially in the summer when the smell of piss on the old Rice Hotel was the worst.

This is excellent news. I just checked out their website (Pearl Real Estate) and their only "urban" conversion right now is the Embassy Suites in Ft Worth. Since Embassy Suites is building new, I wonder who the brand might be? They are opening a new build Westin in Austin in 2012 so maybe it will be a Westin????

I used to work in the 806 Main Bldg from 1993 to 1996. It was a strange old place but it did have tunnel access and adjacent parking. Main St was very different back then and the street level walk to the courthouses from there was always an adventure, especially in the summer when the smell of piss on the old Rice Hotel was the worst.

http://www.kimptonhotels.com/hotels/hotel-palomars.aspx

Click the link in the original post.

A 100-year-old office building recognized as the city’s first downtown skyscraper has been acquired by a developer for conversion into a hotel.

I actually did but wasn't sure if they meant the transaction was closing on Feb. 15th when I initially read the article. I was under the impression that the bldg. was already "closed" un-operational for years excepting a small sandwich shop at street level connected to the tunnel system.

Nope, all of 806 was up and running. The article stated that the bldg was only 45% occupied though. Most tenants had moved out by the end of 2009 with the last two set to vacate on Feb. 15th.

I am assuming they're out. Hopefully work will begun more quicky than the Omni! What is up with that project (turning the old Sheraton Lincoln into an Omni)?

To clarify, what the story says is that Omni is no longer involved, so an Omni hotel is not happening, but it is completely unclear what the other partner (and owner of the property, Songy Partners) plans, if anything.

It was done in the name of modernization. Several downtown buildings were re-cladded at about the same time.

so sad. i am normally more lenient on things like this, but the before and after are just so so sad. in the name of modernization, i wish they just would have the left the old one as is and built their modification, brand new.

This is good news. The Carter Building is one of my favorites; I originally discovered HAIF while searching for information on it for my history. An early broadcasting enterprise, the Clifford W. Vick Radio Construction Co., had offices at 1801 and a license for station WSAV. The antenna on top, however, was not for a broadcast station. It was originally installed by a wireless telegraphy company as early as 1911 and later used by the Houston Radio Club (ham operators in today's terms).

Perhaps the new owners could also revive the rooftop garden and cabaret that supposedly was a popular downtown entertainment venue in the 1910s.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...