Fourth At Navigation: Multifamily At 2404 Navigation Blvd.

1 hour ago, Luminare said:

All good. It happens. Probably due to both being Marquette Company projects.

And only a block or two apart.

But yeah, trust me, this one isn't on hold. Full steam ahead every day. I do find it odd that they are pouring the second floor of the southernmost section, but the foundation hasn't been poured in the center section yet.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Mr.Clean19 said:

I miss swamplot... This picture would be front and center on their website showing this old brick building being dwarfed by this large multi-use complex. Crazy picture

So true. I still don't know why Mr. Salmeron didn't sell since the building isn't even occupied these days, but, oh well.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like Marquette has contracted with Gin Design Group for the interior/commerical aspect. Based on their website (gindesigngroup.com) they are responsible for Axelrad, Oxheart (RIP), Goodnight Charlie, Public Service, and more.

received_594705651254042.jpeg

• Like 9

3 hours ago, hindesky said:

It so sad that whoever owns that shitty little building wouldn't sell. It an eyesore.

The owner is an interesting man. It's his father's old clinic. He has no interest in the place aside from keeping it clean (he "mows" it with a scythe in a full one-piece beekeeping suit type thing). I spoke to him years ago about what his plans are with it. He said hold out for the "right" offer.

From the intonation I gathered he did not mean money. That said, yeah, it's pretty clear now that he missed any shot he would have had at selling the place.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Have Houston developers ever used imminent domain?  The U.S. Supreme Court approved its use for private development and the Houston to Dallas high speed railroad, a private venture, is using it to get land along the route.

Edited by Geographer
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Geographer said:

Have Houston developers ever used imminent domain?  The U.S. Supreme Court approved its use for private development and the Houston to Dallas high speed railroad, a private venture, is using it to get land along the route.

Since when?

(Eminent domain)

10 hours ago, Geographer said:

The Supreme Court case did not give private developers the ability to use eminent domain.  Generally, the power has to be exercised by a governmental authority.  The Supreme Court allowed governments to use eminent domain for the purpose of assembling property for private development.  However, the Texas Constitution does not allow eminent domain to be used for private development as was allowed by the US Supreme Court.

The ability of Texas Central to use eminent domain (which, contrary to your post, I'm pretty sure they have not exercised) arises  from Texas Law that grants certain eminent domain powers to railroads and pipeline companies.  It is not available to private real estate developers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To piggyback off Houston19514's post, Texas Central's claim is grounded in TX law that states that a railroad may use eminent domain to acquire land for tracks. However, Texas Central's argument was recently struck down on the grounds that you have to have rail lines before calling yourself a railroad, and thus, Texas Central has no right to use eminent domain.

That ruling is of course up on appeal.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2020 at 11:36 AM, JBTX said:

To piggyback off Houston19514's post, Texas Central's claim is grounded in TX law that states that a railroad may use eminent domain to acquire land for tracks. However, Texas Central's argument was recently struck down on the grounds that you have to have rail lines before calling yourself a railroad, and thus, Texas Central has no right to use eminent domain.

That ruling is of course up on appeal.

Just to follow up.  Texas Central won on appeal.  On to the Texas Supreme Court.

• Like 6