Fourth At Navigation: Multifamily At 2404 Navigation Blvd.

It will be helpful to receive more clarity on this project after the Planning Commission meeting on Thursday.  While the ownership appears to be Midway, the plans originated from Marquette Companies - the developer of the Catalyst.  It would be great news if they are investing in this neighborhood.  Perhaps part of the reason there has been little movement on their plans to develop that partial lot north of MMP is because they've  been pursing this opportunity?  Looking forward to learning more about this.  Imagine if they put another Catalyst in this area...

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, CREguy13 said:

It will be helpful to receive more clarity on this project after the Planning Commission meeting on Thursday.  While the ownership appears to be Midway, the plans originated from Marquette Companies - the developer of the Catalyst.  It would be great news if they are investing in this neighborhood.  Perhaps part of the reason there has been little movement on their plans to develop that partial lot north of MMP is because they've  been pursing this opportunity?  Looking forward to learning more about this.  Imagine if they put another Catalyst in this area...

I'm under the impression that the lot that is owned by Midway is across the street (Runnels and Navigation) and the lot that is being presented for a potential "EaDO Navigation" (which hopefully changes in name because this area is not East Downtown) is the lot behind the Andes Cafe and Maritime Museum(Navigation and McAlpine). Also, I don't think a Catalyst type building would fit this area at all. The plans appear to be closer to five to six stories versus a towering complex. Hopefully this sticks, as large buildings would set a precedent for this area that i'm hoping is avoided.

edit: after a quick search it in fact looks like this property was also purchased by KBR in 2016( I'm guessing it was part of the Midway transaction but I'm not sure.)

Edited by I'm Not a Robot
  • Like 5

It looks like Alamo Tamale is staying where it is, so this will be kind of a piggy-back development on the west side, which is not ideal from an urbanist standpoint but no big deal. Honestly this whole area around Navigation and Jensen is such a no brainer, I'm surprised it hasn't been turned upside down with redevelopment.

Edited by H-Town Man
  • Like 3

this matches what i was told well over a year ago that midway had acquired the site where andes cafe was located with the intent on building a midrise MF project with GFR. the appreciation of land prices and rental rates in EaDo has been nothing short of spectacular.

• Thanks 1

On 2/11/2019 at 1:11 PM, Mr.Clean19 said:

Thanks for sharing. I cant tell if the Eado thing is real or graffiti 

Dear god let’s hope it’s just graffiti. As others have mentioned, this is definitely not EaDo. . . although the “EaDo Edge” townhomes over near Clinton Dr have already screwed up any semblance of consistent boundaries for neighborhoods in this area.

11 minutes ago, thedistrict84 said:

Dear god let’s hope it’s just graffiti. As others have mentioned, this is definitely not EaDo. . . although the “EaDo Edge” townhomes over near Clinton Dr have already screwed up any semblance of consistent boundaries for neighborhoods in this area.

What is this area called?

25 minutes ago, thedistrict84 said:

Second Ward, which is part of the larger area known as the East End.

EaDo stops at the BNSF tracks that go over the Navigation underpass and continue more or less due south to I-45.

Ahh, that makes sense. I know even some of the signs close to the light rail tracks say East End also.

Eight-story Apartment project (293 units) plan to break ground in 6-8 months.  Ground floor retail.

HBJ Article:

A nearly 2-acre plot of land where an old elementary school once stood could soon be the site of a new eight-story apartment building with a floor of retail below.

Illinois-based Marquette Cos. is under contract on the tract near the corner of Navigation Boulevard and Canal Street, east of the Houston Maritime Museum, said Darren Sloniger, president and CIO.

Marquette is asking the city planning commission for reduced building lines on both Canal and Navigation to “create a more interesting pedestrian experience,” the Feb. 14 agenda stated.

Sloniger plans to break ground within the next six to eight months, pending city approval. He anticipates an 18-month construction timeline. Marquette’s Catalyst project downtown near Minute Maid Park officially opened in April.

Sloniger said the company wanted to develop on Navigation Boulevard for some time.

“I think with its proximity to downtown, it’s a really attractive place for people to live,” Sloniger said. “Navigation Boulevard is a very romantic, walkable neighborhood. We really love the area.”

Along with 293 apartment units, the project will likely have an anchor restaurant and a sidewalk cafe on the ground floor from local restaurateurs, Sloniger said. Average unit size will be about 890 square feet, with mostly one-bedroom options along with some two-bedroom floorplans. Interiors will feature a lot of wood, and plumbing fixtures will be matte black. Exteriors will have more of a rusted panel look.  

“It’ll be unique to Houston,” Sloniger said of the project. He compared the look to its Fulton Station development in downtown Chicago that has an urban yet vintage aesthetic.

Marquette selected Chicago-based Brininstool + Lynch as its design firm but has not yet selected a contractor. Sloniger said the company is still finalizing a construction loan.

• Like 9

With nearly 300 units, this is the type of major development in this area that will help stimulate quicker development of the many empty lots up and down Navigation, Canal, and Commerce. Many of these (like the lot at Canal and N Live Oak, for example) have been listed for sale for years now.

And idk, I kind of like the phrase “interesting pedestrian experience” much better than “activated pedestrian realm” or other goofy terms/phrases used to describe GFR with minimum set-backs, built right to the sidewalks.

Houston could definitely use more “interesting pedestrian experiences” that don’t involve tripping on cracks in the broken sidewalks or almost getting run over while trying to cross a street.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, thedistrict84 said:

With nearly 300 units, this is the type of major development in this area that will help stimulate quicker development of the many empty lots up and down Navigation, Canal, and Commerce. Many of these (like the lot at Canal and N Live Oak, for example) have been listed for sale for years now...

Agreed, this is a great sign for this neighborhood. I think a big reason there has been a bit of lull in development over there, is that so many big projects are on the cusp of happening and people want a clearer view of what's to come. Between East River construction beginning presumably within in the year, the Freeway Project being finalized soon, Buffalo Bayou finalizing the master plan for the East Sector in the next few months, and projects like this one; this area is going to be much easier to project in the next year or so. I think we'll see a lot of developers rush to get ahead of it. There is already see some movement here with Ancorian coming close to finishing up a development just about block from this project at 2339 Commerce, but no tenants announced at this time.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
37 minutes ago, Urbannizer said:

https://www.bisnow.com/houston/news/multifamily/marquette-cos-moves-ahead-with-two-multifamily-projects-in-east-end-district-99415?utm_source=CopyShare&utm_medium=Browser

2404 Navigation

- Nine stories, 300-units, 18k sq ft of retail

- Construction begins in August, 15-month build

5d0126deba7bb-marquette-cos-2404-navigat

Building #2

- Nine stories, 330-units, 5k sq ft of retail

- Construction begins in January, 15 month build

ohhh is that corten steel? That would be cool to see.

EDIT: The trend keeps going upwards. So do designs overall. It seems for the most part we are out of the age of faux stylistic looks and into more contemporary approaches.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ZRFkris said:

I always liked the sound of East End 

These kind of developments help give the “East side” a stronger sense of a neighborhood, I’m really not a fan of the rows upon rows of individual town homes.

Not everyone wants to live in an apartment though. It’s good to have a mix of apartments and higher-density single family homes (i.e., townhomes).

This part of the East End/Second Ward is starting to fill out nicely.

Edited by thedistrict84
  • Like 4