Jump to content
LS27

2404 Navigation - EADO Navigation (Proposed Mixed-Use by Marquette Companies)

Recommended Posts

On 9/4/2019 at 3:16 AM, Urbannizer said:

Building height is 114' 

 

wnt1kLv.jpg

 

This is a step back or three from the earlier rendering unless I am not seeing something.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

 

This is a step back or three from the earlier rendering unless I am not seeing something.

 

On 2/11/2019 at 4:51 PM, Luminare said:

From this weeks planning agenda:

 

Site Plan

 

I5wfg7f.jpg

 

Section

 

XBF1MP4.jpg

 

Elevation

 

fg8JmOm.jpg

 

Looks like they will have ground floor retail on both canal and Navigation.

 

If you look at what I posted back in February it actually isn't. Its just a step back from the render they did back in 2018.

Seems everything is still in play exactly what they submitted to the city. Still have retail. Still the same number of apartments. Same use of materials. They just never updated the render.

Its clear though they made changes from the original hero image to the stuff they submitted to planning commission. in the original hero image it showed more apartments in the middle volume, an alley that cut the full block on the side, glass railing, and a drive loop on navigation. Looks like all that was already cut out by the time they submitted to the city and corresponds to what is shown when I posted in Feb. You can even tell the render now correctly corresponds to what they sent to the city via the window shapes. So is it a step down? Only a step down from the original hero image. It also looks like they are not doing a grated screen system like they showed in the original hero image, but are instead going with solid panels. All in all I still really like this one even in the new image shown. All the cuts are logical cuts that even I would make in a design if I were to meet a budget.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Y'all just beat me to it.

 

They held a little groundbreaking ceremony today...

20190912_175151.jpg

20190912_174744.jpg

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JBTX said:

Y'all just beat me to it.

 

They held a little groundbreaking ceremony today...

20190912_175151.jpg

20190912_174744.jpg

 

Who are the dignitaries in the photo?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dbigtex56 said:

 

Who are the dignitaries in the photo?

Leftover bartenders and a straggler. I came by as they were cleaning up. Someone actually put a photo up on the big board in the pic later. I'll take a pic of it tomorrow morning if there is something new.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, JBTX said:

Today's work involved clearing off the trees, fences, and a good chunk of the land.

 

I'll post again next time there is some major step forward, but let me know if y'all want more pics sooner/throughout.

20190913_144951.jpg

20190913_172925.jpg

20190913_173043.jpg

 

There's the good rendering.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, JBTX said:

Today's work involved clearing off the trees, fences, and a good chunk of the land.

 

I'll post again next time there is some major step forward, but let me know if y'all want more pics sooner/throughout.

20190913_144951.jpg

20190913_172925.jpg

20190913_173043.jpg

 

2 things -

 

1) that’s a beautiful oak tree. I wonder if it has any chance at staying.

 

2) even though the building they are going to demolish isn’t that great... I still wish new developments let the existing structures in good shape remain. I could definitely see it as a cool little office or retail one day.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Avossos said:

1) that’s a beautiful oak tree. I wonder if it has any chance at staying

 

Not to come off as a too tree huggery, but that tree is one of my favorite things in the neighborhood. It's absolutely gorgeous. It's definitely staying for now...the workers have been taking breaks under it. I hope they find a way to keep it.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Avossos said:

 

2 things -

 

1) that’s a beautiful oak tree. I wonder if it has any chance at staying.

 

2) even though the building they are going to demolish isn’t that great... I still wish new developments let the existing structures in good shape remain. I could definitely see it as a cool little office or retail one day.

 

Unfortunately, from the plat that Luminare had posted earlier, I don't see how this will be possible as the parking structure appears to take up the entire lot. Sad.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Toopicky said:

 

Unfortunately, from the plat that Luminare had posted earlier, I don't see how this will be possible as the parking structure appears to take up the entire lot. Sad.

@Avossos is talking about the building that is next door west of this development which in some conceptual renders is shown to be a later phase. The parking garage takes up the entire lot, but not the entire block, so that second phase is still in play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Luminare said:

@Avossos is talking about the building that is next door west of this development which in some conceptual renders is shown to be a later phase. The parking garage takes up the entire lot, but not the entire block, so that second phase is still in play.

 

@Luminare

I was only referring to the loss of the tree. The building to the west is not (that I know of) in any danger at this time. There are currently occupied offices in the western building and, in fact, the Maritime Museum just moved into it's rear area this last year

Next time I will parse the extraneous verbiage

Edited by Toopicky
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sadly, the tree is gone.

 

Maybe if we had those Greenpeace protesters tie themselves to this instead of the bridge...

 

 

20190916_183125.jpg

  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 5:04 PM, hindesky said:

Not sure why the sign is facing south, who is supposed to see that? The workers.

 

They gotta keep track of what they're building. It's like the picture on the jigsaw puzzle box.

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isn’t this the old Americas Plaza proposal site? It’s amazing how Navigation is buzzing with activity compared to Harrisburg. Once the Bayou Park & East River are completed the greater east end will become a destination. The “Greater East End”.

 

...in the not too distant future, anything south of I-10, and north of 45 will be the Greater East End. You heard the super neighborhood buzzword here first. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/16/2019 at 5:38 PM, JBTX said:

Sadly, the tree is gone.

 

Maybe if we had those Greenpeace protesters tie themselves to this instead of the bridge...

 

 

20190916_183125.jpg

yes, very sad.  those protestors were basically at the wrong debate and preaching to the choir.  still a colorful newsworthy spectacle that keeps Houston in the spot light - can't complain too much :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Montrose1100 said:

Isn’t this the old Americas Plaza proposal site? It’s amazing how Navigation is buzzing with activity compared to Harrisburg. Once the Bayou Park & East River are completed the greater east end will become a destination. The “Greater East End”.

 

...in the not too distant future, anything south of I-10, and north of 45 will be the Greater East End. You heard the super neighborhood buzzword here first. 

 

If you type in “Greater East End” in Google maps, you’re not too far off from how it is currently. I thought it ended at the Bayou, but the map shows it going all the way to Clinton. 

 

11 hours ago, ZRFkris said:

Sounds better than eado 

 

Agreed 100%, but if developers and real estate agents have their way, all of this will  be called EaDo eventually. It’s the hip, trendy name after all.

 

Exhibit A: this development, which has “EaDo” in its name but is definitely not in EaDo.

 

I’m not against gentrification generally, but the loss or even dilution of existing area/neighborhood names into whatever invented name sounds cool to marketing focus groups is an unfortunate byproduct. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

 

I don't think the development has "EaDo" in its name. https://www.marquettecompanies.com/new-development

 

They may have removed it from the name then. It was originally referred to as “EaDo Navigation” in materials and on the variance request notice placed on the property (see the previous pictures and discussions in this post).

 

Regardless, Marquette still states on their website that both this development and 400 Jensen are in EaDo. They’re not.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is also "EaDo Edge" off Jensen and Clinton, by UrbanLiving. It annoys me cause it's its not EaDo edge, it's EastEnd Edge, if anything.

 

But alas.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, JBTX said:

There is also "EaDo Edge" off Jensen and Clinton, by UrbanLiving. It annoys me cause it's its not EaDo edge, it's EastEnd Edge, if anything.

 

But alas.

 

It's just a really big edge. That whole area is like the Ukraine of EaDo.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

 

It's just a really big edge. That whole area is like the Ukraine of EaDo.

 

 

Are you saying that EaDo is gonna Crimea the East End? Damn it. Does anyone know if the flag shop on Fannin sells Russian flags?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, JBTX said:

There is also "EaDo Edge" off Jensen and Clinton, by UrbanLiving. It annoys me cause it's its not EaDo edge, it's EastEnd Edge, if anything.

 

But alas.

 

They should have named that development Nickel’s Edge.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very significant project for the area. Really great to see the quick work done on this. Now...if they’d just get the nightmare of the Navigation/Jensen & Navigation/Canal intersections dealt with. 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Naviguessor said:

Very significant project for the area. Really great to see the quick work done on this. Now...if they’d just get the nightmare of the Navigation/Jensen & Navigation/Canal intersections dealt with. 

 

We can only hope that the roundabout will be coming soon.

 

Never thought I would say that a roundabout would be a better solution, but man is it ever here.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tone2002 said:

Don’t let the train come then its a total nightmare. 

 

No trains near that though. Purple/Green line are a bit off, and the freight line has a below-grade crossing leading up to it. Runnels needs a below/above grade crossing, but there isn't much traffic in that direction.

 

I don't think there will be any train problems at that intersection.

Edited by JBTX
Forgot to add Runnels
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, JBTX said:

 

No trains near that though. Purple/Green line are a bit off, and the freight line has a below-grade crossing leading up to it. Runnels needs a below/above grade crossing, but there isn't much traffic in that direction.

 

I don't think there will be any train problems at that intersection.


??? 
 

If Commerce is unusuable due to the train then traffics backs up on those streets/lights even more because everyone is using the below grade crossing to get around it. I’m specifically speaking rush hour at 8am every morning. The train tends to come pretty regularly 

Edited by Tone2002
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People usually leave Commerce and take Bastrop to the below-grade crossing and cut along the Shops at Navigation right before hitting Canal. I see that intersection from by bedroom. There is no traffic coming from Commerce to Navigation where that traffic circle will go.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Origin Investments and Marquette Cos. break ground on EaDo apartment midrise

https://m.chron.com/business/texas-inc/article/Origin-Investments-and-Marquette-Cos-break-14509552.php

 

Quote

A partnership of Origin Investments and Marquette Cos. has begun construction on an eight-level apartment midrise at 2404 Navigation Blvd. in the EaDo neighborhood. The first units are slated for delivery in April.

 

The project will bring 300 residences, 7,000 square feet of restaurant space on the ground floor, a rooftop lounge and coworking spaces for residents.

Edited by ekdrm2d1
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

“Navigation is a romantic boulevard that will be an incredible amenity for the residents with great restaurants, festivals and farmers markets,” said Darren Sloniger, president of Marquette Cos. “This is a truly unique community, with great history, walkability and culture.”

 

Taken from the Chronicle article linked by @ekdrm2d1

 

Marquette is really sticking to calling Navigation a romantic boulevard. Definitely not how I would describe it, but if that's its' reputation and it gets more development to the area, I'm all for it. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, I'm Not a Robot said:

 

Taken from the Chronicle article linked by @ekdrm2d1

 

Marquette is really sticking to calling Navigation a romantic boulevard. Definitely not how I would describe it, but if that's its' reputation and it gets more development to the area, I'm all for it. 

They must be trying to speak it into existence 😎

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I live right off it. I've always found it to be lovely during the nighttime events with the lights lit up, and music playing. Light breeze makes it great.

 

But yeah, during the day, or when the weather isn't great, its pretty far from romantic. EEMD needs to beautify it a little bit more before it gains full "romantic boulevard" status.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, I'm Not a Robot said:

 

Taken from the Chronicle article linked by @ekdrm2d1

 

Marquette is really sticking to calling Navigation a romantic boulevard. Definitely not how I would describe it, but if that's its' reputation and it gets more development to the area, I'm all for it. 

 

Romantic in the sense that, you know, the teeming wharves of a third-world shipping port are romantic, or the Little Italy scenes in Godfather II. Romantic in the cultural sense.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...