TxDOT Will Build Bike Lane Along Montrose Stretch Of Highway 59

I heard a report at last nights Neartown/ Montrose meeting that Txdot will build a bike lane along south side of 59 as reconstruction begins. Another plus — 527 will be lowered to connect with Lowered 59 but none of the bridges will be impacted. All those bridges will stay “as is”

22 minutes ago, trymahjong said:

I heard a report at last nights Neartown/ Montrose meeting that Txdot will build a bike lane along south side of 59 as reconstruction begins. Another plus — 527 will be lowered to connect with Lowered 59 but none of the bridges will be impacted. All those bridges will stay “as is”

Really?  I thought the Montrose Bridge had to be replaced with a larger version

2 hours ago, trymahjong said:

Wait...Are you saying they are going to bury the Spur as well?!

2 hours ago, trymahjong said:

I assume that means the bridges on 59 will stay as is, and the ones on Spur 527 that cross Richmond and W Alabama will be eliminated .
This should be a welcome change for all but the homeless and beggars who encamp there.

11 hours ago, Luminare said:

Wait...Are you saying they are going to bury the Spur as well?!

No.  The ramps connecting I-69 to the spur will be lowered (but not buried; physically, they really can't  all be buried).  They will connect to the existing spur.  Except for the connecting ramps, I'm pretty sure there are no changes planned for the spur itself.

12 hours ago, samagon said:

this is exciting. I'm assuming it will start at Shepherd, I wonder how far it will go? Hopefully at least to Caroline, or maybe even Almeda?

Looking at the Houston Bike Plan map this must be one of the "key connection projects" and appears to be part of an off-street bike path down the old rail line from Royal Oaks Country club in the west and ending at Main St.  I hope they go ahead and build all of it, but this would be a good start.

• 4 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to TxDOT Will Build Bike Lane Along Montrose Stretch Of Highway 59

Archived