Alamo Plaza Motor Hotel At 4343 Old Spanish Trl.

sevfiv

Here is the alamo plaza on Old Spanish Trail...please add postcards, etc if you have 'em..

The grounds were actually in nice condition...the landscaping was surprising. There are still people living there (they are all efficiency apartments now I believe). And thanks to gnu for the information about it being for sale!

alamo2th.jpg

alamo3th.jpg

alamo4th.jpg

alamo5th.jpg

alamo1th.jpg

almost forgot - the side street had a marking post next to the sidewalk - first i thought it was one of the vertical street posts...so did it get shoved in next to the sidewalk, or was it originally placed there?

blythewood.jpg

you got an early start this morning, sevfiv!

Great pics. I wonder if they still take Carte Blanche! :lol: (BTW...does that card still exist??)

I bet that street marker fell down...just probably a long time ago.

My Mom worked the PBX (Ooooh PBX...there's a word you don't hear much anymore :) ) at the Alamo Plaza hotel in Beaumont in the 50's. That one is extant too, at least it was about 8 years ago. I guess it was the same chain or at least all the buildings were very similar to this one.

Wasn't/Isn't there one on Washington Ave too?

I just had a crazy picture in my head of a large terracotta pot filled with sand, with the street post sticking out of it, sitting in the middle of my living room :lol:

When the place goes though, I wouldn't mind snatching up a few of the philodendrons and palms from out front :D

I just had a crazy picture in my head of a large terracotta pot filled with sand, with the street post sticking out of it, sitting in the middle of my living room :lol:

Now that's a discussion piece!

I can hear your guests now (for some reason i hear a wisconsin/minnesota accent)...oh my. that is interesting. Honey, didn't we used to have a blythe tree in our backyard? Sevfiv, (as if your guest would call you that! :lol: ) is this made out of petrified blythe wood?

I know...Lame B)

you got an early start this morning, sevfiv!

Great pics. I wonder if they still take Carte Blanche! :lol: (BTW...does that card still exist??)

I bet that street marker fell down...just probably a long time ago.

My Mom worked the PBX (Ooooh PBX...there's a word you don't hear much anymore :) ) at the Alamo Plaza hotel in Beaumont in the 50's. That one is extant too, at least it was about 8 years ago. I guess it was the same chain or at least all the buildings were very similar to this one.

Wasn't/Isn't there one on Washington Ave too?

There was also an Alamo Plaza Motel in Baton Rouge, LA on Florida Blvd.

There was also an Alamo Plaza Motel in Baton Rouge, LA on Florida Blvd.

The Alamo Plaza Motel in Baton Rouge is still there, got some pics of it a while back. Same sort of clientele. Folks trying to hit you up for cigarettes, etc. But the place is in pretty good shape.

Houston I've noticed has a lot of cool old motels. There's the Admiral across from Spanish Flowers on Main, with garages on the ground floor and the rooms above. It's intact and well maintained. Well worth a look when you're in the neighborhood.

Houston I've noticed has a lot of cool old motels. There's the Admiral across from Spanish Flowers on Main, with garages on the ground floor and the rooms above. It's intact and well maintained. Well worth a look when you're in the neighborhood.

You're right, the Admiral is almost unchanged. That neighborhood has a good bit of decent old architecture. Some nice art deco buildings have survived. New development around there has been slow, so there hasn't been the same pressure to demolish things.

• 7 months later...
  • 8 months later...
FYI, its not going anywhere. It'll be serving a niche market in its existing form. :ph34r:

Sorry, folks, but I can't reveal my source.

Speeding by the Alamo Plaza the last couple of days, I've caught glimpses of a Public Notice sign in front of the Motel.

Something about it being a proposed multifamily residential facility. I assume the motel is being transformed into an apartment complex?

I think that's very cool...especially if we could get some UH/TSU students in there. ;)

Something about it being a proposed multifamily residential facility. I assume the motel is being transformed into an apartment complex?

I think that's very cool...especially if we could get some UH/TSU students in there. ;)

the units don't look large enough...sounds like it may be torn down then and some new units built.

True story about this hotel. My Mom's cousin was married to a missionary. They came in to town and brought their daughter. They stayed at the Alamo Court Hotel. My cousin's daughter was 5 years younger than me, and at least 50 pounds heavier. We were swimming and, without warning (or provocation), she jumped on my back. Right at that moment, I stepped off into the deep end. She was having fun, because I was jumping up and down, trying to throw her off like a horse - then it got bad. I couldn't breathe. So I took both hands and ran my nails down her legs. THAT WORKED! She was mad - but I was alive. Last time I ever went there!!!!

True story about this hotel. My Mom's cousin was married to a missionary. They came in to town and brought their daughter. They stayed at the Alamo Court Hotel. My cousin's daughter was 5 years younger than me, and at least 50 pounds heavier. We were swimming and, without warning (or provocation), she jumped on my back. Right at that moment, I stepped off into the deep end. She was having fun, because I was jumping up and down, trying to throw her off like a horse - then it got bad. I couldn't breathe. So I took both hands and ran my nails down her legs. THAT WORKED! She was mad - but I was alive. Last time I ever went there!!!!

I understand what you mean. It takes only one bad experience to happen at a place to make you not want to go back to (or to even see) it ever again.

• 2 months later...
I can't read the sign. So, what does this mean? It's going to be torn down, or rehabed?

What it says is that Andalusia Homes LP has made application to build a 102 unit apartment complex on that site to be called the Andalusia Apartments.

Looks like another Houston landmark will so be just a memory (and a photograph)

Alamo_Plaza_III.jpg

The site will be a mix of apartments with a shopping strip in front. There is also for sale a Large piece of property occupied by a stand along ATM buiding , directly across the corner from the Alamo.

• 1 month later...
The Alamo Plaza Motel in Baton Rouge is still there, got some pics of it a while back. Same sort of clientele. Folks trying to hit you up for cigarettes, etc. But the place is in pretty good shape.

There is also an Alamo Plaza still intact in Atlanta. http://www.atlantatimemachine.com/commerci...stewart2370.htm

Archived