Caudill Rowlett Scott Office At 1111 West Loop S.

IronTiger

Not so fast Tiger. That building is still with us, but it's not the CRS Building anymore. It's now the Houston Animal Emergency Veterinary Hospital on the northbound feeder of the West Loop between Post Oak and Woodway.

http://www.animalemergencyhospital.com/

Go to Google Maps and home in on that stretch of the West Loop. Look for the building set way back off the feeder with a big parking lot on the roof, as described in the notice from Houston Today. That's the place. It still looks just like the photo.

I worked in that building for a few months before the move to Transco (now Williams) Tower. The architecture part of CRSS (CRS Sirrine) had been bought by Hellmuth, Obata, & Kassabaum (HOK) out of Kansas City. Coming from office buildings with an average floor plate of around 18-20,000 sq, ft. the single floor space seemed enormous. It was odd also that the ceiling height was no greater than a normal office building floor.

The veterinary clinic is still there and the exterior of the building has changed little. The interior was modified extensively of course. I was fortunate to attend an open house for the clinic just before it opened. It was impressive - very leading edge technology. It seems appropriate that such an advanced animal care facility would be in the same city as our renown Texas Medical Center. I made that comment to one veterinarian there and he simply harrumphed at me. :mellow: I guess he thought I was crass comparing pets to mere people.

The veterinary clinic is still there and the exterior of the building has changed little. The interior was modified extensively of course.

Luckily, there are interior pictures (black and white of course). Who wants to see them?  ^_^

• 4 months later...

I used to work there. What I remember most were the snakes. You'd be walking down the sidewalk and there on the sidewalk in front of you was a snake escaping a heavy rain.

There was also a row of windows along the bayou where you could look out and see turtles, gar, possum, and the occasional snake in the bayou or on the banks.

• 4 years later...

Wow. Didn't know they demoed this! Such a shame. It was a rather unique Modernist building. At one point it housed one of the largest Architecture firms in Houston during the 70's, CRS. Was very low and in-touch with its surroundings and the bayou. The parking lot on the roof deck on top of the office building was a rather interesting solution to what was a common problem (and still is), and at that time a lot of modernist architects started developing the elevated offices over parking which are common in Upper Kirby. Essentially they took the opposite approach. Unfortunately with it being in the 100-year flood plan it was going to get hit bad at some point. With how sensitive the city is to developing in the floodplain it will be incredibly difficult to develop this piece of land at this juncture.

• 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to 3.8-Acres For Sale At 1111 West Loop S.
  • The title was changed to Caudill Rowlett Scott Office At 1111 West Loop S.

Archived