Astroworld Model At The Downtown Library

Reefmonkey

Has anyone noticed the old Astroworld model at the Downtown library, ground floor? I hadn't been by in a while and this was the first time I had seen it. Looks to be from before the park was first opened. I took a few pictures, posted one here that is focused on what was my favorite ride when I was a little kid in the early 80s, the River of No Return ride, a blatant copy of Disneyland/world's Jungle Cruise. I think it was probably the best ride Astroworld ever had, when it was a genuine theme park, before SF turned it into just another roller coaster park in the mid 80s. I'm not sure exactly when the RONR was closed, but I know XLR8 was built over where it was.

And a bonus, some commercials from Astroworld's heyday in the late 70s-early 80s:

IMG_6407.jpg

Edited by Reefmonkey
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I didn't know that was at the library, so thanks for the note.

I'm not sure if it was ever done, but someone really should have collected as many Astroworld items as possible, and opened a mini-museum. This model certainly would have made a worthy addition. I suppose it could still be done, if someone started the ball rolling. There are surely many items in various hands across the city, and could be rounded up if they were donated to such a worthy cause.

Edited by Gurgis

• The title was changed to Astroworld Model At The Downtown Library