The Hawthorne: Condominium High-Rise At 5656 San Felipe St.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Urbannizer said:

Same design it seems, but looks like they are upgrading the quality of the materials. The stone in the render looks like the stone thats going up on the Sophie on Memorial Drive. Don't like the driveway rapping around, but this is in Tanglewood, so not like it was going to be interested in being closer to the street.

• Like 1

Looks pretty modern, to be honest, which fits with connecting Tanglewood to the Uptown area. I kinda love the wrap around drive way, with the extensive landscaping. Kinda gives it an older money feel.

Just an observation: Everytime I read the interviews for condo developments in Houston, this included, its always "empty nesters" or "lock and leave" or "downsizing" (in the context of older people). I guess thats the market for 300k+ Condos in Houston, but damn, how many older people are going to move back into the city. Who knew Houston has this seemingly large cache of 45+ year olds making great money just chilling 15+ miles out of the downtown. I wish I could ask these developers "well what should the 30 year olds be buying." I'm sure they'd say they are just renting.

The people of Tanglewood should be happy all this earning power is moving in, think of all the new development it will draw in. 😙

• Like 1

2 hours ago, X.R. said:

Looks pretty modern, to be honest, which fits with connecting Tanglewood to the Uptown area. I kinda love the wrap around drive way, with the extensive landscaping. Kinda gives it an older money feel.

Just an observation: Everytime I read the interviews for condo developments in Houston, this included, its always "empty nesters" or "lock and leave" or "downsizing" (in the context of older people). I guess thats the market for 300k+ Condos in Houston, but damn, how many older people are going to move back into the city. Who knew Houston has this seemingly large cache of 45+ year olds making great money just chilling 15+ miles out of the downtown. I wish I could ask these developers "well what should the 30 year olds be buying." I'm sure they'd say they are just renting.

The people of Tanglewood should be happy all this earning power is moving in, think of all the new development it will draw in. 😙

With all various proposals and buildings already underway regarding senior living facilities in an urban typology, I'm sure someone found some really interesting numbers to start this trend. Its one of those fascinating things about statistics, and that idea that just because we have eyes to see with in many ways it blinds us to other things, or that our own eyes lie to us in many ways. Its like my recent fascination about the redevelopment on 34th street. Like why? What numbers are they looking at? Or its like Astros and reformulating semi decent pitchers into pitching gods. Like why? What numbers are they looking at? haha. Its interesting.

I"m 63 and now live in Four Leaf Towers. My 6000 sq. ft. house in Hedwig Village was a great place when I had two kids in school and had tons of gear, a son who played guitar and drums and parking for our three cars.  It had a back staircase that allowed a summer to go by without having to meet my daughter's then-current boyfriend. But the kids are now in L.A. and Austin, one is married and my wife is nearing the end stages of a decades long rare neurological disease, By the time both kids were in their mid-=twenties, when they were at home, it was like running a small hotel and I was the staff.  I miss my garden and pool, but not much else about the property. At Four Leaf Towers, I have someone to unload my packages from my car after returning from Costco or HEB  and bring the stuff up to my apartment.  I;m now living in 2690 sq. ft. and its certainly more than enough for my needs.  Right now, I have one guest room and when  both my son and my daughter and son-in=law visit, I usually book one of them into a hotel for a few days. I think one could live nicely with a family in this apartment, but for many reasons, including the amount of personal possessions amassed by the affluent, including sports gear, cars, etc. it would feel cramped by most families.

• Like 7

14 hours ago, Skyboxdweller said:

I"m 63 and now live in Four Leaf Towers. My 6000 sq. ft. house in Hedwig Village was a great place when I had two kids in school and had tons of gear, a son who played guitar and drums and parking for our three cars.  It had a back staircase that allowed a summer to go by without having to meet my daughter's then-current boyfriend. But the kids are now in L.A. and Austin, one is married and my wife is nearing the end stages of a decades long rare neurological disease, By the time both kids were in their mid-=twenties, when they were at home, it was like running a small hotel and I was the staff.  I miss my garden and pool, but not much else about the property. At Four Leaf Towers, I have someone to unload my packages from my car after returning from Costco or HEB  and bring the stuff up to my apartment.  I;m now living in 2690 sq. ft. and its certainly more than enough for my needs.  Right now, I have one guest room and when  both my son and my daughter and son-in=law visit, I usually book one of them into a hotel for a few days. I think one could live nicely with a family in this apartment, but for many reasons, including the amount of personal possessions amassed by the affluent, including sports gear, cars, etc. it would feel cramped by most families.

Thanks for sharing.  Always cool getting a look into the lifestyle of the rich and famous 😜

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Skyboxdweller said:

You had 3 cars 👀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Skyboxdweller said:

Well, I gutted th place and rebuilt it to accommodate my wife disease, multiple system atrophy - cerebellar, which is rare, degenerative, progressive and always results in death.She has the master bedroom to herself, with a large closet with no doors and  with an attached bathroom with no barriers and a roll in shower,.  When we first moved in she was independent and used   an electric scooter and was able to scoot into the shower, transfer to a bench and bathe herself.   For the last two years she has been immobilized and I have a staff of three aides who clean her, feed her, etc. Until recently I had someone on call during the night and she slept in th gust room next to my bedroom.

You have my sympathies for caring for someone with a condition like that. My grandmother lived with my family for a few years when she had Alzheimer's. I was in college. It requires a mental transition to begin spoon feeding someone, but it is one of the great memories of my life. I certainly did not do as much as I could have; my mother bore the brunt of it, and eventually we had to resort to assisted living for the last year or so. It is great that your wife is able to live with you and not somewhere else. God bless you both and thanks for sharing.

• Like 6

I appreciate you sharing your living conditions. I imagine after living in a large ground floor home it took some time to get used to all of the changes. 

I also feel for what you are experiencing with a loved one who you are taking care of. Our mother in law lived with us until her recent death and I know my wife was 

especially happy that she was able to keep her at home and we watched over her. She was 93 and lived a very full life, and you are doing a great thing in being close for her.

I wish for you and your family the most pleasant and comforting times. 

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...