BREAKING NEWS: Former NBC 2 KPRC-TV Houston Weatherman Doug Johnson dies

Blue Dogs

Sad news for anybody, who watched NBC 2 KPRC-TV Houston over the years. Former NBC 2 KPRC-TV Houston Weatherman Doug Johnson, passed away on Thursday night at the age of 79.

Johnson joined NBC 2 in 1962 & stayed until his retirement in 1992. He was also the co-host for "The Scene at 5" with the late Ron Stone. In case you have been living under rocks, Johnson was bitten by Wilma the Weather Chicken LOL. 

http://www.click2houston.com/news/doug-johnson-longtime-kprc2-weatherman-dies-at-79

http://mikemcguff.blogspot.com/2019/01/doug-johnson-of-kprc-has-died.html

Give your thoughts on Johnson's passing & his long career with NBC 2.

• Sad 2

Doug Johnson seemed to be a very affable person. He made watching the weather fun. I grew up watching Sid Lasher then Doug Johnson. I like to be around, or at least observe, people who appear to be enjoying what they do. Rest in peace, Doug. You brought many smiles to the residents of this area.

Edited by Specwriter
  • Sad 1

The video clip is great, but the backstory behind the weather chicken as related on McGuff's blog is priceless. 

It probably seems strange to anyone used to local on-air talent being recruited from across the country that someone born and raised in Houston had a long-term position on one of the big three local network affiliates. And it seems even stranger that there are a lot of Houston residents now who probably have no idea who Doug Johnson and Ron Stone were, let alone Larry Rasco. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Blue Dogs, I didn't want to make you more sad. We do feel the loss but, at the same time, I will always remember that Doug Johnson made something as mundane as the weather forecast fun to watch.

mkultra, I can think of some Houston natives who are local affiliates today and I appreciate their perspective though they are all younger than I. Those who come immediately to mind are David Paul, Mia Gradney, Melanie Lawson, and Katherine Whaley. I know I am overlooking more than a few. BTW, if my arithmetic is any good David Paul is only about eight years my junior. 😊

Ah yes, Larry Rasco - our local version of Walter Cronkite who, while not actually a Houston native, spent his formative years in our city.

Edited by Specwriter
  • Like 2

Doug Johnson had a great big personality and made everyone laugh. He always seemed to be having such a good time. I used to love the banter between Doug and Ron Stone. Another one of the early newscasters who made his mark here on Channel 2 and later 11 was Ray Miller, who ran the news at channel 2 and was the original eyes of Texas host.

His son Doug Miller has worked at channel 11 for probably 30 years.

• Like 1

I met Doug Miller through a mutual acquaintance and encountered him again at a TUTS production at Miller Theater (no connection I assume) sometime later. I found him to be friendly, intelligent and very witty.

I had no idea he was the son of Ray Miller but learning that does not surprise me. Doug's reports were always professional, polished, and well prepared. I guess the apple does not fall far from the tree.

Bob Phillips does a creditable job with "Texas Country Reporter" but I don't believe anyone will ever best Ray Miller and "The Eyes of Texas." I can watch a 40-year-old re-run of that show and still be taken away to the places he described.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2019 at 9:48 PM, Specwriter said:

I met Doug Miller through a mutual acquaintance and encountered him again at a TUTS production at Miller Theater (no connection I assume) sometime later. I found him to be friendly, intelligent and very witty.

I had no idea he was the son of Ray Miller but learning that does not surprise me. Doug's reports were always professional, polished, and well prepared. I guess the apple does not fall far from the tree.

Bob Phillips does a creditable job with "Texas Country Reporter" but I don't believe anyone will ever best Ray Miller and "The Eyes of Texas." I can watch a 40-year-old re-run of that show and still be taken away to the places he described.

I had no idea he was Ray Miller's son either.

On 1/8/2019 at 9:48 PM, Specwriter said:

I met Doug Miller through a mutual acquaintance and encountered him again at a TUTS production at Miller Theater (no connection I assume)

Not unless Ray and Doug are related to Jesse Miller. From the Miller Theatre website:

Mining engineer and cotton broker Jesse Wright Miller died leaving property to the City of Houston for municipal purposes.  The City sold that property for $50,000 to Miller’s sister.

City Council authorized use of approximately $50,000 from the sale to the Miller estate to build the Miller Memorial Theatre, a “permanent bandstand” located in Hermann Park.

The original theatre was designed by William Ward Watkin as an amphitheatre surrounded by twenty Corinthian-style limestone columns and built by Tom Tellepsen.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 9/11/2019 at 4:55 PM, bonappettit said:

When I worked at Kmart (59 & Beechnut) in the early 70's I used see Doug at the  store sometimes.He wasn't

hard to miss. That voice and being so tall I would notice him walking down the aisle. I waited on him a couple of times. A great TV personality.RIP 

They don't make legends like him anymore....