ekdrm2d1

The Paramount on Westheimer

Here’s an email they sent today to people who signed up for updates:

“Thank you very much for your interest in my newest addition to the Houston skyline! The opportunity to develop a residential tower between the Galleria and River Oaks, essentially adjacent to Highland Village is definitely exciting. 

Right now, this new development is a work in progress. My current focus is on creating functional and interesting floor plans. We will be offering 2B-2.5BR, 3B-2BR, and 3B-3.5BR plans of varying sizes along with Penthouses of approximately 4,200 to 5,200 square feet. The top floor will have two story Penthouses with a private elevator. I am on the fifth pass at this effort and should be able to complete the floor plates within the next three weeks.

After conclusion of the interior lay out, we move to the time-consuming exterior design of the structure. This is always complicated as we have to balance design and materials with realistic costs and structural engineering requirements. I am envisioning a classical style inspired by two world class buildings in New York, one residential and the other theater oriented. The trick is to meld the two unrelated developments into a residential tower encompassing a cohesive design borrowing the best features from each. This is both a challenging and inspiring exercise that will take weeks to unfold. 

In the interim, we are still on the search for a name for this to be designed condo tower, we are always open to suggestions. We are also in process of specifying the amenities that will help define the development. And, trying to make these amenities outstanding by any measure.

As progress is made in the design arena, I will send you frequent updates. Until then, thanks again for your interest in ???????, a new and timeless addition to the skyline.”

Edited by richfish
Can't write a simple sentence
  • Like 3

The 'inspired' by a 'theater oriented' building in NYC makes me hope this doesn't become too garish. What should we get him to name this one guys?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richfish said:

The 'inspired' by a 'theater oriented' building in NYC makes me hope this doesn't become too garish. What should we get him to name this one guys?

Value Engineered Eye Sore in White Stucco

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

On 6/8/2019 at 5:08 PM, ekdrm2d1 said:

P0Sv48m.jpg

If he stops right now he'll be ahead of the game.

What scares me is the quote:

"The trick is to meld the two unrelated developments into a residential tower encompassing a cohesive design borrowing the best features from each."

Good luck on that

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ekdrm2d1 said:

The replat signs are posted all over the Westgrove Court business area.

nlKs6fM.jpg

7JzhLn3.jpg

With all the renovation work they have done to this one lately I'm sure they would like to make it one plat after that. Makes sense.

• Like 1

RD sent out a new email about the project, basically that they're still working the design, but it will be named The Paramount. 

• Like 4

It's a very clean looking building. They did a very nice job!

On 8/19/2019 at 6:15 PM, ekdrm2d1 said:

The replat signs are posted all over the Westgrove Court business area.

nlKs6fM.jpg

7JzhLn3.jpg

1 hour ago, richfish said:

RD sent out a new email about the project, basically that they're still working the design, but it will be named The Paramount. 

Email in full....

~~~~~~~~~~

Dear Future Client,

We are now approaching 120 interested clients on our Preferred Wait List. The current plan in place is to have three or four private showings starting in late October, early November, when the Sales Center is scheduled for completion. Clients will be invited to these private parties in the order in which they registered to give ALL a fair opportunity to purchase one of our 50 new homes. Terms are likely to be 10% of Purchase Price paid at contract execution with another 10% due one year after construction commencement.

We are still working diligently on completing the floor plans; however, a City meeting effecting the shape and the positioning of the building is still in the works. Once the final determination is made, we will complete the floor plans and turn our attention to the exterior elements. Right now, the exterior design of the structure is about 75% finished. I am MUCH MORE than pleased with our architectural concept and am confident you will have the same viewpoint.

In my last update letter, I noted that the search for a name that fits our New York inspired condominium was still a mystery in progress. Happy to inform you that your new home will be called…………. The PARAMOUNT.

For me, the name brings to mind superior or above all others, timeless design, great importance, and compelling value. For you, I trust it means a new home with unparalleled, uncompromising features and standards... which is always my objective. More exciting details to come, please stand by.

Sincerely,

Randall Davis

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I'd love to know more about the financial incentives here? How much did he pay the HOA and what will they use the money for? 

• Like 1

On 8/26/2019 at 9:01 PM, ekdrm2d1 said:

r4WR7bn.png

Will not look like this at street level unfortunately, variance request denied due to neighboring opposition. 

https://www.virtualbx.com/construction-preview/houston-condo-developer-swats-opposition-forges-ahead-with-tower-in-royal-oaks/

Houston (Harris County) — A Houston condo tower developer shrugged off a decision by the Planning Commission for a requested variance and, instead of building a 22-story high-rise, will probably add several floors.

At its Aug. 22 meeting, the commission by majority vote adhered to a staff recommendation of denial on a setback variance request. The vote came after a public hearing in which most of the neighbors stated their opposition to the variance and the tower project. 

One aesthetic feature that Davis offered as an incentive was an art wall within the lobby that would be visible to pedestrians from the sidewalk, although enclosed in glass. But there was correspondence suggesting this would not be offered if the variance were denied. 

Carolyn Hartley, one of the residents in opposition, produced an email exchange between Davis and former Planning Commissioner Bill Baldwin, wherein Davis said that if he did not get the variance he would add three or four stories and increase the number of units from 50 to 55 or 60.

“The developer is likely to fence (the setback area) as a private garden, providing only the required 6-foot sidewalk and small trees because of the neighborhood’s prior response,” Hartley said, referring to the email.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Let’s be honest here. No matter what he builds or how tall it is, it will disappoint most people here. No matter how appealing the rendering is, the final project will fall far short of most people’s expectations. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Urbannizer said:

Royal Oaks? Isn't that the area around the country club in Westchase?

Then again, the same person wrote that garage at Fannin & Rusk was being built in a "Federal District", downtown.

2 hours ago, db650 said:

Let’s be honest here. No matter what he builds or how tall it is, it will disappoint most people here. No matter how appealing the rendering is, the final project will fall far short of most people’s expectations. 

I recently walked by his condos downtown which I originally thought to be one of his best efforts except the damn thing already needs a power washing. Any vent or window or really any edged corner on the building already had grey streaks coming down from them. I have no idea why he chose white for all his recent buildings exteriors in our climate. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, db650 said:

At least he was going for something nice from the pedestrian aspect. Randy usually does not file a request for a shorter setback. The people who go out to oppose variance requests are clueless, when a request is denied to build closer to the street majority of the time it means a building will end up being taller. Same scenario occurred with the X Houston project planned for Museum District.

• Like 5

Email went out today...

If you drive by Paramount, you will see the transformation of the sales gallery is almost complete. We have been re-branding the existing building, which will soon be The Paramount, slated to open mid - November. My long-time superior Sales Manager, Gloria Tanksley, will be leading our sales team. Her knowledge of the local market and The Paramount in particular will greatly inure to your benefit.   

All Paramount’s floor plans are in the final design stages. The stunning exterior details will be reflected in the renderings and building model, which is currently being custom constructed in Las Vegas. When you visit The Paramount Sales Gallery, you will see a completed kitchen with Gaggenau appliances and Eggersmann Cabinetry. Paramount’s completed bathroom, will give you an idea of the luxurious finishes offered to you. Also on display will be custom closets by Eggersmann from Germany, and a custom closet by Molteni from Italy. 

We are more than excited about the Grand Opening of The Paramount sales gallery and are looking forward to your visit. We have over 135 people who have signed up for our VIP viewing. Therefore, two parties are forthcoming on November 20th and 21st so please save the date that works best for your schedule.

We look forward to seeing you at Paramount’s sneak preview.

Sincerely,

Randall Davis

• Like 6

Rendering has been posted. I like the glass upper part.

I’ll post photos later this afternoon.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, db650 said:

I like it. I just wonder what the finished product will look like.

I do to but you're right. Often the first renderings are pretty handsome and then once he's sold a lot of the units he pulls the switch and puts out one of the stinkers of a rendering.  

• Like 2

Another garage-mahal. Hopefully he doesn't go cheap on the garage but not holding my breath. Betting it'll be stucco/EIS.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, kennyc05 said:

I know I always ask this question. But do you think it will be visible from 59? 👀

I’m going to say yes. I know that Park Place near River Oaks District is visible and that’s less than 20 stories.

• Like 4

The garage won't look that nice because of the way they lit it in the rendering. Looks like a Sky House sort of. I think it'll be nice infill and is a nice look but will probably suffer the same issues as other RD designs. As much as I bag on him, they have been consistently building in Houston and I appreciate that.

• Like 5

If that garage is stone, this will be his best one yet. If the garage is stucco, it could be the worst.

He has an affinity for classic Americana - 1920's drama. Hopefully he will realize that the cost associated with a building that will truly be romanticized cannot be cheap.

• Like 4

Hmm looks like a skinny version of The Hawthorne being built on the corner of San Felipe and Chimney Rock. I agree with...

@Avossos that if its stone then it will look really pleasant, and if its stucco it will look like hot garbage.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Avossos said:

If that garage is stone, this will be his best one yet. If the garage is stucco, it could be the worst.

He has an affinity for classic Americana - 1920's drama. Hopefully he will realize that the cost associated with a building that will truly be romanticized cannot be cheap.

What is the ballpark cost difference for doing something in stone like limestone versus stucco? Is the difference that significant given the cost of these units to the buyer?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, db650 said:

What is the ballpark cost difference for doing something in stone like limestone versus stucco? Is the difference that significant given the cost of these units to the buyer?

Depends. But it can get into the millions. It depends on their # of units, parking plan, revenue modeling, etc...

• Like 1

On 11/17/2019 at 4:12 PM, ekdrm2d1 said:

Rendering.

cobJf67.jpg

XY03njX.jpg

excellent design and eye catching.  exactly what we need more of in this area and downtown btw.

• Like 5

So...on the subject of that base?

What type of material would be of high quality to give it the appearance it has in the rendering? What would be low quality? 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, EllenOlenska said:

So...on the subject of that base?

What type of material would be of high quality to give it the appearance it has in the rendering? What would be low quality? 

In this region? Typically the high end would be using actual limestone, and to my eyes thats what the stone in the render looks like. I would say an example of actual stone veneer that seems to look decent would be The Sophie on Memorial. Now a super high end alternative to limestone would be a kind of white, gray, or tan granite.

A medium range solution which they might do is mimic the stone look with concrete. They could form it and create the joints to get that look and then either paint it or infuse a color into the concrete to give it a stone look. If you want an example of how they do this you will typically see this done on streets if someone wants a stone street look, but doesn't want actual stone, and so they will just get a machine that creates the lines to give it that finish. Now foregoing concrete they could utilize a technique that was used to mimic stone in the past and use Terracotta. If you go to New York you might be surprised that most of the building stock there where you think is stone is actually Terracotta. When stone veneer techniques were proliferated Terracotta (especially for architectural detailing) was the material of choice to mimic stone.

Low end? I can't remember the field name often given to this product, but it would be a Faux Stone which is typically made of foam. In fact most times when you see "stone" especially on apartments or McMansions it will be this faux stone. Most cornices are made of this material due to the fact that its less demanding structurally, and its super cheap. If you see a classical cornice on a strip mall then its probably this material.

Considering this is RD, its hard to tell what he might do, but seeing how this is in River Oaks it might be a signature project that he might want to really embellish and make beautiful with top of the line materials, so who knows.

• Like 2

Ugh!  Why, why, why does RD have to construct a giant sarcophagus-like parking podium?!?  It is so unnecessary and makes the building look incredibly disjointed.  As for the limestone cladding — I give it zero chance of happening.  That podium has Cosmo-Astoria-Arabella-Marlowe-esque stucco written all over it. 😕

Here's the take home packet.  Some photos, replaced the scans.  Looked better quality.

dglhGGc.jpg

S43IyzJ.jpg

U2Q5Jm5.jpg

RdouFuJ.jpg

xRRDr83.jpg

Gg0fjkU.jpg

g8OoZFY.jpg

7vAenTp.jpg

0G55FFp.jpg

aOKjKrR.jpg

ZjbhTEl.jpg

• Like 8

On 11/17/2019 at 6:22 PM, db650 said:

I like it. I just wonder what the finished product will look like.

Like all of his projects.  Cheap and "Vegasy" (not a word, I know but you get the drift)

• Like 1

Under features... "Low Maintenance Fees (ALWAYS)".

How? How "always"? All it takes is a Board vote, and the fees are what they are. 

Further, let's say they run into a property maintenance issue, or a desire by the residents to change something. Something that costs money. They raise the fees to cover it. "Low fees" still?

Maybe someone more versed in Condo HOAs can educate me, but I can't imagine how they can say "ALWAYS". (Their caps, not mine)

Is it wrong to want that chair and ottoman pictured in the second photo above that looks like a lady's bathing suit from the 20's sitting indian style with a matching beach ball?!

where can i get that?! haha! 😍😵

Edited by gene
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2