HAIF - Houston's original social media

The Paramount: 26-Story Condo Tower on Westheimer

1 hour ago, Dakota79 said:

Like all of his projects.  Cheap and "Vegasy" (not a word, I know but you get the drift)

Maybe we need to introduce a concept called the "RD Spectrum of Quality", since it seems to radically shift from project to project, and even by experience level of RD himself. To his credit, he is getting better with each project and that is all one can ask for.

I don't know about you, but all that marble definitely doesn't look cheap. This is going to be one pricey slice of pie.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 1
  • Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you think it won't end up like this, then you don't know RD.

You're not accounting for unexpectedly high HVAC costs.  It will probably look something like this when it's done:  

Rendering.    

Posted Images

Article in the Chronicle...

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/article/Randall-Davis-unveils-design-for-Westheimer-tower-14856488.php

Randall Davis has finalized plans to build a high-end condominium tower in the River Oaks area, the Houston developer’s newest towering addition to the urban landscape.

Davis, whose most recent project was Arabella — a contemporary structure on San Felipe with glass balconies and a spa-like indoor pool — said the design for his new building will have a more classic style.

The planned 25-story tower, to be built at the southeast corner of Westheimer and Eastgrove, just east of Weslayan, will be constructed in white limestone with black and gold accents.

Davis and his daughter, Natalie Davis, the company’s creative director, said they found inspiration from new homes in Houston’s affluent neighborhoods, many of which showcase white exteriors with contrasting black trim.

“I’m trying to do something that I think fits into the neighborhood,” Davis said.

Davis has developed or restored more than a dozen buildings, often designed around a central theme. The Renoir project featured a French garden and 16-foot caryatids, carvings of female figures meant to be used as supportive pillars.

Downtown’s Marlowe intended to strike a masculine chord, with portraits of Marlon Brando, Sean Connery and Paul Newman hanging in the concrete, metal and glass-clad lobby.

His new building will be called The Paramount. It will have 50 units, an indoor and outdoor pool and high-end kitchens with designer appliances.

Davis purchased the 17,300 square-foot site at 3723 Westheimer earlier this year. He recently built a sales center from a nearly 10,000-square-foot building on the site that once housed Krispen, a home furnishings store.

Davis sought a building variance for the site, hoping to build the tower closer to the street. The reduced building line, he said, would have allowed him to keep the building to 20 stories. The city’s Planning Commission denied the variance.

Units will top eight floors of parking and will range from 1,800 square feet to 6,500 square feet for a penthouse. They will start at around $1 million. Maintenance fees initially will be set at approximately $1,240 per month on an average unit.

Designed by Powers Brown Architecture, the building will be crowned by an art deco-style fixture that’s lit at night.

Davis said he’ll break ground after preselling at least 15 units. He hopes to start in April and anticipates a two-year construction time. He did not disclose the development cost.

RD-in-a-Tee.jpg

• Like 7
  • 1 month later...
4 hours ago, CraneHunter said:

Has there been talks of who the GC will be? I know G.T. Leach usually works with Randall Davis but I have not heard any updates on this.

I believe I read in one of the stories about this building that it is GT Leach. 

• Like 2

It is GT Leach, according to several articles. I know they often work with RD, but their reputation has taken quite a hit over the last 2-3 years. Surprised Davis hasn't brought in someone else.

OTOH, they were probably low-bidder, and that's the quickest way to RD's heart.

1 hour ago, rechlin said:

You're not accounting for unexpectedly high HVAC costs.  It will probably look something like this when it's done:

Perfect! I'll be taking bets that this is the end product - give or take a panel or two.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I love the birds-eye view, as they swoop up and away... you can see Westheimer in front of it. A beautiful road, smooth pavement, traffic free, meticulously landscaped.

Yeah, right. I live 100 yards down the street from The Paramount, and that stretch of Westheimer is the pits. Literally. Pockmarked, potholes, patches over patches, sidewalk broken up. I'm surprised the good folks of RO haven't used their clout to have it repaved.

$50 bucks says Mr. Davis shows up in a tight white tee tonight.

• Like 5

I have always avoided riding my bike especially along this part of westheimer...

those sidewalks are a freaking mess!

I wish they would do what was done in the river oaks area near kirby where there are all new sidewalks and street lights etc.

and yeah as far as driving goes...those right lane potholes...ouch!

• Like 8
  • Highrise Tower changed the title to The Paramount: 26-Story Condo Tower on Westheimer

I thought anything inside the loop could be called "River Oaks" 🙃. Heck, there's a project down at Shepherd & 59 called "River Oaks".

This isn't even an announcement of a groundbreaking. It's an announcement of an announcement-to-be-announced of a groundbreaking. And they think they can build this in less than a year?!? They have to have meant completion in late 2022, not 2021.

It's interesting that they're using Martha Turner to sell the units. Every, and I mean every, high-end condo building uses Douglas Elliman (FKA Sudhoff) to handle their sales.

• Like 1

The Chronicle also has the press release in today's paper. I still think there is a mistake. You don't build a 25/26 story building in less than a year.

But as someone who lives just a couple blocks up Westheimer from this, I hope they can. Because you know they're gonna create some traffic issues during construction.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, astrohip said:

The Chronicle also has the press release in today's paper. I still think there is a mistake. You don't build a 25/26 story building in less than a year.

But as someone who lives just a couple blocks up Westheimer from this, I hope they can. Because you know they're gonna create some traffic issues during construction.

So true. Houston loves to allow developers the right to block as many lanes of traffic and sidewalks for as long as they please.  

Edited by jmitch94
  • Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/19/2020 at 1:34 PM, Paco Jones said:

Per a VP at GT Leach...

"Still early on 3723… The Paramount.  It’s currently still in the marketing phase.  It currently has zero (0) sales, so it might be a while." 

I read 3 sales backed out among COVID uncertainty.

I agree this one will be a long wait. And I’m sure there will be the inevitable design changes RD always seems to make. I actually like the look of this building, but then again I also liked the original Arabella plan until it got its “makeover.”

• 1 month later...