Sign in to follow this  
CrockpotandGravel

Anyone able to fully use "Real Property" search the Houston Harris County Clerk website?

Since the website for the Harris County Clerk was updated and renovated some months ago, some key functions no longer work and the site is slow.

The site freezes and crashes my browser when more than one page of search results load( tried different ones with the same result)
The site is slow with only one page of search results
When  I try to search using the  description field, typing the neighborhood description, nothing comes up. It's like it's disabled.

The site is complete trash now. The other pages and search, death, vital, assumed names are all slow too. 

Is this the experience of others here?

I ran a test search under Real Property that returned five pages of search results, and was able to navigate to the second page of results with no problems. Also didn't notice any particular sluggishness. This was using the latest version of Chrome. 

I did notice that typing in a neighborhood description in the description field did not return any results unless I also entered a value for grantor or grantee, then it seemed to work. 

I'm likewise not too impressed with the changes that were made in comparison to the old site. Given Stan Stanart's less-then-impressive track record when it comes to tech issues, perhaps the site functionality will be revisited once Diane Trautman takes office. 

I haven't noticed any issues using Chrome. I get the same performance as before.

14 hours ago, mkultra25 said:

I ran a test search under Real Property that returned five pages of search results, and was able to navigate to the second page of results with no problems. Also didn't notice any particular sluggishness. This was using the latest version of Chrome. 

I did notice that typing in a neighborhood description in the description field did not return any results unless I also entered a value for grantor or grantee, then it seemed to work. 

I'm likewise not too impressed with the changes that were made in comparison to the old site. Given Stan Stanart's less-then-impressive track record when it comes to tech issues, perhaps the site functionality will be revisited once Diane Trautman takes office. 

So weird. I disabled ad blockers, extensions, cleared caches, and anything else I could think of and encountered problems on each browser (Chrome, Firefox, IE).

If it's a page with less than 20 results, it loads with no problem. Anything larger, it loads slow and then crashes. On Chrome, I get a message that I've run out of memory after it crashes.

The only workaround for me, stopping the page after it loads. I don't like it because I get a page of partial results.

I ran a similar search with neighborhood description, entering a value for grantor or grantee before. That worked, but before the site overhaul, typing a neighborhood description by itself and filtering by date returned results without the need to include a grantor or grantee as a required value.

After the holidays, I'll email the county clerk's office or their web team with my issues. Maybe something will come about. I like change if it's for the better, but this change, at least for me, as made it almost impossible to use the site.

8 hours ago, Ross said:

I haven't noticed any issues using Chrome. I get the same performance as before.

Again weird. What's wrong with my end then? So frustrating.

6 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

So weird. I disabled ad blockers, extensions, cleared caches, and anything else I could think of and encountered problems on each browser (Chrome, Firefox, IE).

If it's a page with less than 20 results, it loads with no problem. Anything larger, it loads slow and then crashes. On Chrome, I get a message that I've run out of memory after it crashes.

The only workaround for me, stopping the page after it loads. I don't like it because I get a page of partial results.

I ran a similar search with neighborhood description, entering a value for grantor or grantee before. That worked, but before the site overhaul, typing a neighborhood description by itself and filtering by date returned results without the need to include a grantor or grantee as a required value.

After the holidays, I'll email the county clerk's office or their web team with my issues. Maybe something will come about. I like change if it's for the better, but this change, at least for me, as made it almost impossible to use the site.

Given what you've already tried, I'd normally tend to suspect a corrupt browser profile, but if it's happening in three different browsers, that seems unlikely. It could also be a conflict with your antivirus/firewall software, but again, if it's only happening with this specific site, it's somewhat unlikely. 

You should not be running out of memory in Chrome, but unfortunately most of the recommended fixes for that error involve what you've already done, with the exception of rebuilding your profile. I typically have a ton of tabs open, and rarely encounter any performance issues, even on a 7-year-old desktop with an average-in-its-day AMD CPU, 16GB of RAM, and a fully-patched 64-bit Windows 7 install. Unlike gaming, web browsing is an activity that typically just doesn't require a whole lot of computational horsepower over and above pretty basic specs.

If you have a Windows PC.....delete all temp/junk files from these directories - I have seen where these temp areas get overly full and cause strange issues

C:\Windows\Temp

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp.  (you have to show hidden files/directories to see these)

23 hours ago, mkultra25 said:

Other than the subdivision glitch others have noted, it works OK for me (Mac environment). 

Getting the county clerk's site and functionality was in the works until Stanart took over, then, weirdness began to reign (as in, we are the only county in Texas where you have to show photo ID if you're filing something in person - guess who pushed for that).  With any amount of luck we can return to the days when the county clerk's office just quietly worked well.  

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. I'm able to search the site with Microsoft Edge. Everything loads quickly and no crashes. 

I followed the suggestions here and clearing out everything, disabling extensions, and updating browsers to new versions didn't fix anything. The site continued to crash or freeze.