Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
CrockpotandGravel

Grocers Supply Co. - 3131 Holcombe Blvd

Recommended Posts

If this is a duplicate thread, please merge with the original. I performed different searches and couldn't locate an existing thread for this. I'm assuming this is a new listing due to the marketing materials pointing out this property didn't sustain flood damage from Hurricane Harvey.

 

 

The 36+ acre site where Grocers Supply Co. currently conducts business is on the market. Real estate service HFF Houston is marketing the site 3131 Holcombe Blvd, along with properties bordering Grand Blvd, Dixie Dr, and Ardmore St for a total of 51+ acres.

Loopnet listing (archive link)


BCeqKEl.jpg

I6Nelkj.jpg


Photos from Google Map

Holcombe Blvd @ Ardmore St
Bs9wW8A.jpg


JKTzLkh.jpg


 

Edited by CrockpotandGravel
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the marketing brochure:

HFF, on behalf of the Owner, is seeking qualified developers for the sale or partnership on a premier ±51-acre site located at the intersection of US Highway 288 and Holcombe Blvd. The Property provides an extremely unique development opportunity as it sits at the gateway to the Texas Medical Center. The Property is one of the largest undeveloped sites remaining in infill Houston and will offer fantastic view corridors of Downtown and the Texas Medical Center. This irreplaceable development opportunity is well positioned to capitalize on the expansions of the Texas Medical Center and resurgence of the Houston economy.

Investment Highlights

•  Premier Location
      
Located at the intersection of Holcombe Boulevard and Highway 288, the property’s location allows for immediate access to major employment centers throughout Houston. Additionally, frontage along Holcombe Boulevard provides direct access to the Texas Medical Center, allowing the site to serve as the gateway to the most extensive hospital system in the world.

•  Unrivaled Urban Infill Site
      
The Property’s excellent accessibility and proximity to Houston’s second largest employment center presents a unique opportunity for a large scale ±51-acre mixed-use development located on some of Houston’s most desirable real estate.

•  Incredible Size
      
At roughly 51 acres, the Property is arguably the largest site for development remaining inside the 610 Loop, west of US 288 and the CBD.

https://my.hfflp.com/GetDocument?BBArgs=aKom-p1mkBkMbxvt_Un3S2sp2F3KgJvYNtsfgO5uaOQQvOAs (archive link)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would love to see this has a mixed-use. Or at mose, something that can be enjoyed by all and a boost to the economy. With Fiesta grocery stores dwindling in Houston with more people shopping at H-E-B, Aldi, Trader Joe's and Sprouts, Grocers Supply Co doesn't need the warehouse space here (and the cost).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

I would love to see this has a mixed-use. Or at mose, something that can be enjoyed by all and a boost to the economy. With Fiesta grocery stores dwindling in Houston with more people shopping at H-E-B, Aldi, Trader Joe's and Sprouts, Grocers Supply Co doesn't need the warehouse space here (and the cost).

 


They would probably relocate their warehouse to less-valuable real estate.  Even if Fiesta stores are dwindling, Grocers Supply supplies groceries to a lot of stores beside Fiestas.

 

In any event, that's a nice big piece of land close-in.  Great opportunity for some nice development.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was wondering when this plot would come to market.  Great find, Crockpot!  I'd previously fantasized about this site being a built-from-scratch hospital for a new Rice University Medical School, but wouldn't mind some new residential highrises coupled with a new streetscape in this area. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

 


They would probably relocate their warehouse to less-valuable real estate.  Even if Fiesta stores are dwindling, Grocers Supply supplies groceries to a lot of stores beside Fiestas.

 

In any event, that's a nice big piece of land close-in.  Great opportunity for some nice development.

Maybe GS can move warehouse to east side of NW beltway area...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Grocery Supply is moving all of it local operations to Pinto Business Park owned and developed by Hines, it's up in the Greenspoint area.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, htownbro said:

A few residential high rises like the Mosaic and retail which is lacking in this area


I agree. There are high rises to the east and west of this property,  but with its proximity to 288, a high-rise could work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

 


They would probably relocate their warehouse to less-valuable real estate.  Even if Fiesta stores are dwindling, Grocers Supply supplies groceries to a lot of stores beside Fiestas.

 

In any event, that's a nice big piece of land close-in.  Great opportunity for some nice development.


Yes, I know Grocers Supply Co. would relocate their warehouse. I was in no way implying that the business is shutting down because of less Fiestas and the cost associated to the location of the warehouse along Holcombe.

And although Grocers Supply Co was acquired a while back and services more low-end grocery stores, Fiesta is their largest client.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, houstontexasjack said:

I was wondering when this plot would come to market.  Great find, Crockpot!  I'd previously fantasized about this site being a built-from-scratch hospital for a new Rice University Medical School, but wouldn't mind some new residential highrises coupled with a new streetscape in this area. 


I  hope that something worthwhile is built here once this is sold. I see so much potential for that portion of Holcombe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Fortune said:

Grocery Supply is moving all of it local operations to Pinto Business Park owned and developed by Hines, it's up in the Greenspoint area.


That makes sense. Thanks for the update.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Levit family sold to C & S Wholesale 3 years ago.   Their first warehouse that was sold,  was the cold storage off Studemont and I-10.   

 

I had heard that all warehouse operations will eventually be moved somewhere South of Dallas.   I know that C & S also operates a warehouse in Coppell, Texas - NW of Dallas.

 

 

http://www.chron.com/business/article/Major-distributor-to-acquire-Houston-s-Grocers-5866977.php

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, native_Houstonian said:

 

I had heard that all warehouse operations will eventually be moved somewhere South of Dallas.   I know that C & S also operates a warehouse in Coppell, Texas - NW of Dallas.

 

That might be true if by "somewhere south of Dallas" you mean Pinto Business Park.

 

If C&S operates a warehouse in Coppell, they seem to be unaware of it.

http://www.cswg.com/locations

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

 

That might be true if by "somewhere south of Dallas" you mean Pinto Business Park.

 

If C&S operates a warehouse in Coppell, they seem to be unaware of it.

http://www.cswg.com/locations

 

My company delivers to the warehouse in Coppell, so I know it's not a figment of my imagination.

 

When Grocer's Supply was purchased 3 years ago, we were told at that time that Dallas and Houston operations would be consolidated to yes, somewhere south of Dallas.   Now, we have not yet been notified of switches in delivery locations.   Will let you know when we hear anything.

Edited by native_Houstonian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With GSC moving out, it looks like the railroad extending out that far wouldn't be needed anymore at all, as the next connection is south of OST. The crossings at Holcombe and OST can be removed, and Columbia Tap Rail Trail can extend all the way to OST.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, native_Houstonian said:

 

When Grocer's Supply was purchased 3 years ago, we were told at that time that Dallas and Houston operations would be consolidated to yes, somewhere south of Dallas.   Now, we have not yet been notified of switches in delivery locations.   Will let you know when we hear anything.

 

Please do, if you hear anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Grocer's supply is closing? That is big. First thing that comes to mind is being able to extend the bike trail down that rail line - I believe Grocer Supply was the only customer of that line, and I'm sure maintaining it costs a decent amount

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder about those small notched out parcels on the back of the property, off of Grand Blvd (not Grant as it's misspelled on the photo shot). Those hold outs may finally have an opportunity to realize their big financial dream. 

 
 
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Either that or end up like Becks Prime.

Hopefully they'll take the cash.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The property to the left of Holcombe all the way to O.S.T., is also Grocers Supply, so the real amount of property is huge. With its proximity to the Med Center and  Museum district, this plat of land could be a major mixed use city centre type development. I wonder if the company that acquired Grocers Supply has  built a new terminal farther outside the city center.

I could also see the TMC trying to wrap up  this parcel for future growth.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/1/2018 at 3:50 PM, cspwal said:

Grocer's supply is closing? That is big. First thing that comes to mind is being able to extend the bike trail down that rail line - I believe Grocer Supply was the only customer of that line, and I'm sure maintaining it costs a decent amount

 

Grocers Supply is moving/consolidating all of their operations to Pinto Business Park.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/7/2018 at 10:05 PM, bobruss said:

The property to the left of Holcombe all the way to O.S.T., is also Grocers Supply, so the real amount of property is huge. With its proximity to the Med Center and  Museum district, this plat of land could be a major mixed use city centre type development. I wonder if the company that acquired Grocers Supply has  built a new terminal farther outside the city center.

I could also see the TMC trying to wrap up  this parcel for future growth.

 

 

The part south of Holcombe is not included in the "for sale" listing.  Maybe they've already sold that parcel?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i realize that. my point is the total grocers supply footprint is a very large tract of land in such an enviable location so close to the med center and museum district.

It would be nice if it was available as a package. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe the owner of this site is stone lake capital. They’re behind some interesting projects in the domain area of Austin. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Naviguessor said:

This interesting and ambitious "Confidential Master Plan" shows up on the Munoz Albin Project page on their Website. 

Thanks to research from another Haifer researching the Colombe d'Or tower.   

 

https://munozalbin.com/project/old-market-east-omaha-master-plan/

  tBCVAXK.jpg
 

 

18 hours ago, CaptainJilliams said:

Not to get anybody too excited, but here's the conceptual rendering from the link Naviguessor posted above:


OWv4rFlr.jpg


Goodness gracious! That's a beauty! I approve.

I put a higher-res rendering in your above post.


And the image on the website has this in labeled in the picture file of the rendering:

Med-Center-Master-Plan-MC_v1_FIN-corrected-Architect-Houston-Apartments-Condos-Architecture-Commercial-Architects-Top-Architecture-Firms-Office-Tower-High-Rise

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


 

19 hours ago, Naviguessor said:

This interesting and ambitious "Confidential Master Plan" shows up on the Munoz Albin Project page on their Website. 

Thanks to research from another Haifer researching the Colombe d'Or tower.   

 

https://munozalbin.com/project/old-market-east-omaha-master-plan/

https://i.imgur.com/tBCVAXK.jpg

 

 

 

 

More design outlines of the renovated Grocery Supply Co. land in the Medical Center at 3131 Holcombe Blvd and Hwy 288 in Houston:

One of the images is labeled Levit Center Site Plan

O8xBCPG.jpg


jexO6CH.jpg




Bk9c08W.jpg



5Xbi1ly.jpg




wbrvEsb.jpg
 

 

 



 








 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Houston takes off as biomedical research hub this development and 7200 main wont have any issues getting off the ground!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, houstontexasjack said:

I hadn't seen anything posted on this, but I came across this master plan from Munoz Albin.  This appears to be for the parcels at the Grocers Supply site by 288:

 

https://munozalbin.com/project/old-market-east-omaha-master-plan/ 

 

022-02-Med-Center-Master-Plan-MC_v1_FIN-corrected-Architect-Houston-Apartments-Condos-Architecture-Commercial-Architects-Top-Architecture-Firms-Office-Tower-High-Rise.jpg

Anyone who lives in highrises there is going to have stunning views of Houston's skyline. The view from 288 and 610 certainly is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, houstontexasjack said:

I hadn't seen anything posted on this, but I came across this master plan from Munoz Albin.  This appears to be for the parcels at the Grocers Supply site by 288:

 

https://munozalbin.com/project/old-market-east-omaha-master-plan/ 



Had you used the search, you would have. I titled it and posted in the posts "Grocers Supply" "288" and other markers so that when searching through Google or through the site's search function, the thread would be found instantly and easily. 

Here it is along with the proposed project here:
http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/38711-grocers-supply-co-3131-holcombe-blvd/

 

Mods please merge this thread.

 

Edited by CrockpotandGravel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, CrockpotandGravel said:



Had you used the search, you would have. I titled it and posted in the posts "Grocers Supply" "288" and other markers so that when searching through Google or through the site's search function, the thread would be found instantly and easily. 

Here it is along with the proposed project here:
http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/38711-grocers-supply-co-3131-holcombe-blvd/

 

Mods please merge this thread.

 

The thread did not appear when I searched “Grocers Supply” and “288.” Perhaps it is not as easily located as you imagined. In any event a merger would be appropriate, although I’d suggest the topic be shifted to “Going Up” in light of the appearance of architectural renderings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

8 minutes ago, houstontexasjack said:

The thread did not appear when I searched “Grocers Supply” and “288.” Perhaps it is not as easily located as you imagined. In any event a merger would be appropriate, although I’d suggest the topic be shifted to “Going Up” in light of the appearance of architectural renderings.

 

Yeah search is on here is garbage I've actually had better luck using google site search to find previous threads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There has been no anouncement about the project, by the owners, of any kind that I’m aware of. The renderings were spotted on an architecture firm’s website, which don’t really mean much. Just someone’s concept at this point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...