Sign in to follow this  
BeerNut

Metro moving toward $3B bond vote for 20-year transit plan

I wish that the university line could be LRT instead of BRT, but extending LRT is a good thing for those areas - they are places that can be redeveloped into denser communities, while being low traffic now so it should be easier to make the lines.

BRT from W Little York to Missouri City is ambitious - if they do it properly the whole way

It seems peculiar that the west side of town is getting BRT, where many people are turned off by buses and more likely to ride LRT, while all the LRT is on the central/east side of town, where people are more tolerant of buses. It also seems like a glaring problem that even in 2040, you will still not be able to get on a single vehicle, either BRT or LRT, and take it all the way from the Galleria to downtown.

Edited by H-Town Man

There's going to be that signature Westheimer bus from downtown to the Galleria, but I'm not sure what the details are.

What we need is a good E/W rail route - if we could get some Boring company tunnels made for the light rail trains, it would be a 7 mi tunnel, and it would be about $140 million to make a 2 bore tunnel down Westheimer

https://www.citylab.com/transportation/2018/12/elon-musk-tunnel-ride-tesla-boring-company-los-angeles/578536/ 

Musk put a Tesla in a tunnel, and he did it for a potentially game-changing price: The demonstration tube cost $10 million a mile to dig.

Strange to spend all LRT money on the east and north sides of town, when the much denser areas that actually support rail transit are all on the west side.  Still, would be a nice improvement. 

Still waiting on that University rail line promised with the 2003 referendum... 

1 minute ago, mfastx said:

Strange to spend all LRT money on the east and north sides of town, when the much denser areas that actually support rail transit are all on the west side.  Still, would be a nice improvement. 

Still waiting on that University rail line promised with the 2003 referendum... 

The University Line would be finished a long time ago had it not been for morons like Culberson. I don't mind the amount of BRT Metro want's to spend money on and where they want to place it. I think we're underestimating just how efficient that service is and how easily it could translate to rail in the future. 

On 12/19/2018 at 9:27 AM, cspwal said:

I wish that the university line could be LRT instead of BRT, but extending LRT is a good thing for those areas - they are places that can be redeveloped into denser communities, while being low traffic now so it should be easier to make the lines.

BRT from W Little York to Missouri City is ambitious - if they do it properly the whole way

Interestingly, the Metro plan suggests BRT could be converted for autonomous vehicle use in the future.