Sign in to follow this  
j_cuevas713

Battlesteins building purchased

Seemed like a good fit for space with the JW next door.  They have had the front doors open in recent days, so hopefully they are getting after it sooner rather than later. 

56 minutes ago, wilcal said:

Kind of torn on what I would like to see here. 

As long as it isn't turned into parking. 

It very well might be. Parking is all the rage downtown. Although I would think they would have signed a long lease with the garage they've been using. And I don't think there are any curb cuts along this part of Main so I doubt the city would allow one, but we've certainly shot Texas Ave full of curb cuts so I wouldn't be surprised.

45 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

Doesn't seem like it would make for a very efficient parking structure, given how narrow it is.

And its location on Main. I'm hoping they somehow connect the hotel to this building and possibly make additional rooms. 

21 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

And its location on Main. I'm hoping they somehow connect the hotel to this building and possibly make additional rooms. 

They definitely connect at the tunnel/basement level, though who knows what is down there in the Battelstein space.  Does the JW have any meeting or amenity space on the second or third floor?  JW could at a minimum expand the lobby at the street level and have a second set of elevators that take you up in the other "tower".   

Agreed on inefficiency for parking. Looks like it's 50 feet wide. Not really efficient for anything, though. Marriott could just be acquiring it to control what's next to them and letting it sit a few more years.

11 minutes ago, Nate99 said:

They definitely connect at the tunnel/basement level, though who knows what is down there in the Battelstein space.  Does the JW have any meeting or amenity space on the second or third floor?  JW could at a minimum expand the lobby at the street level and have a second set of elevators that take you up in the other "tower".   

Exactly. I highly doubt they will demo this building. 

Good news, but too bad they couldn't have gotten it while they were doing the JW construction.  I seem to recall media reports indicating that the hotel developers made offers but couldn't reach a deal.  My own wild speculation is that they have some contingencies drawn up for back-of-the-house uses for it.  Agree parking seems like an impossibility.  If nothing else,  a refresh of street-side face should be on the way, and  long overdue.

$8 million to bring it up to code and $17 million to make it OK for office occupancy. The JW Marriott cost $80 million with $12 million in city subsidies provided. 

16 minutes ago, Urbannizer said:

I can see this being renovated to condominiums for the JW Marriott.

What an interesting thought!

would it not be difficult for residential given that there isn’t much natural light inside?  I.e. long and narrow building with no windows on either side.

16 minutes ago, UtterlyUrban said:

What an interesting thought!

would it not be difficult for residential given that there isn’t much natural light inside?  I.e. long and narrow building with no windows on either side.

Yeah, It seems you'd almost be limited to one unit per floor.

Assuming it's 50' wide, I'd think you could do 2 units per floor. They'd need to be lofts so natural light could get to the back, but that's not a particularly unusual floor plan. 

27 minutes ago, Texasota said:

Assuming it's 50' wide, I'd think you could do 2 units per floor. They'd need to be lofts so natural light could get to the back, but that's not a particularly unusual floor plan. 

Yes, I suppose you could.  But lofts don't match up very well with the product offered by the JWMarriott.  I suspect they will go a different route with this building.

Meeting rooms, ball room, restaurant, expanded spa, gym, indoor pool, .......

I am thinking that this might be a way to expand “infrastructure” .... not “additional guest rooms”

On 12/15/2018 at 0:23 PM, UtterlyUrban said:

Meeting rooms, ball room, restaurant, expanded spa, gym, indoor pool, .......

I am thinking that this might be a way to expand “infrastructure” .... not “additional guest rooms”

Why not both?  More infrastructure towards the back, but have the front where the windows are be more guest rooms

This will likely be a hotel of its own... Think a more affordable Marriott flag...

There is nothing that states this will be a JW Marriott expansion. Pearl does many hotels.

2 hours ago, Avossos said:

This will likely be a hotel of its own... Think a more affordable Marriott flag...

There is nothing that states this will be a JW Marriott expansion. Pearl does many hotels.

I don't see how they could get enough windows in the building to create a stand-alone hotel, unless it's a very specialized boutique... maybe 50 rooms?

Edited by Houston19514

There are windows on the back, with a glorious view of the air shaft.  Perhaps they could market those rooms as having an "authentic urban vibe."

32 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

I don't see how they could get enough windows in the building to create a stand-alone hotel, unless it's a very specialized boutique... maybe 50 rooms?

13 minutes ago, mollusk said:

There are windows on the back, with a glorious view of the air shaft.  Perhaps they could market those rooms as having an "authentic urban vibe."

I don’t see how it is much different than the Hyatt place hotel going in on Texas Ave. that too has limited front windows and difficult or no light on the side.

17 minutes ago, Avossos said:

I don’t see how it is much different than the Hyatt place hotel going in on Texas Ave. that too has limited front windows and difficult or no light on the side.

It's actually quite different from the Hyatt Place.  That building has windows on the front, the vast majority of the east side, at least half of the west side and part of the south side.  The subject building has windows on the front and maybe an opportunity to add a few windows on the part of the north side. That's it.

20 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

It's actually quite different from the Hyatt Place.  That building has windows on the front, the vast majority of the east side, at least half of the west side and part of the south side.  The subject building has windows on the front and maybe an opportunity to add a few windows on the part of the north side. That's it.

I desperately want an Ace Hotel in Houston. Those are my favorite.

Don't Capitol Lofts and Kirby Lofts have many units with only one wall of windows that are fairly deep?

2 hours ago, Avossos said:

I desperately want an Ace Hotel in Houston. Those are my favorite.

Same. If a city has an Ace, I stay there.

31 minutes ago, kbates2 said:

Don't Capitol Lofts and Kirby Lofts have many units with only one wall of windows that are fairly deep?

For Capitol, the entire front of the building is floor to ceiling windows. The sides of Capitol Lofts actually open to interior courtyards (you can see it on google maps satellite view). One of the courtyards is bounded by Club Quarters and the soon to be open AC Hotel and you can see the top of BG Group Place from it. There are balconies both over main street and one of the courtyards which makes it a lot less claustrophobic.

Looks like there is a courtyard between Battlestein and the JW.

Note: I'm using courtyard loosely here. More like spaces between buildings.

2 hours ago, kbates2 said:

The Kirby Lofts building has windows on the west, north and east sides 

Edited by Houston19514

Right but not all of the way up right?  I looked at 4 units there and none had windows on more than one side and all would fit well in the footprint of this building.

I am curious to hear a plan or proposal for this building. Anyone heard anything on this?