Jump to content

Warehouse Purchased In EaDo


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Segundo Coffee is up and running - they have a stand set up so they can serve during the build out of their shipping container space. They currently plan to be open MWF around 8am, though they were open this morning as they'll be closed tomorrow in preparation for an event they're doing on Saturday.

Edited by linearmovement
  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Highrise Tower changed the title to Warehouse Purchased In EaDo
  • 1 month later...
13 hours ago, 77011transplant said:

So cool inside. And Segundo has some solid coffee and baked goods from Koffeteria!

I'm going to have to give Segundo another chance. I ordered a latte and asked how many espresso shots it came with and the two people working told me none 😑 and it wasn't good, super muddy sediment at the bottom.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Montrose1100 said:

I'm going to have to give Segundo another chance. I ordered a latte and asked how many espresso shots it came with and the two people working told me none 😑 and it wasn't good, super muddy sediment at the bottom.

That's too bad. I got a latte, and it reminded me of Xela which I enjoy. It was kind of pricey though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, 77011transplant said:

That's too bad. I got a latte, and it reminded me of Xela which I enjoy. It was kind of pricey though. 

$5.50 for a cold brew was a little rich for my blood. That said, I'm glad to have the option if there's a stopped train blocking my path to any of the shops north of Harrisburg.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, linearmovement said:

$5.50 for a cold brew was a little rich for my blood. That said, I'm glad to have the option if there's a stopped train blocking my path to any of the shops north of Harrisburg.

 Coral Sword isn't too far down Telephone ;) No train track to cross.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

On 7/15/2021 at 11:32 AM, samagon said:

does anyone know who their roaster is?

it's a new roaster in midtown. forgot the name already.

$5.50 for a 12oz latte though.

I was more interested in seeing the space, there's this coffee shop, and 2 small shops. I hope they get more tenants, it's a neat looking space.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, 2ndwardOG said:

Roaster is Matt from little dreamer coffee has been in the coffee game for a long time..

the barista I got my coffee from on Saturday said it was a new roaster. I guess that means the owner has been around for a long time, but the business is new?

anyway, the espresso was nice and smooth, I didn't have the issue referenced above.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I believe Segundo Coffee lab serves high quality artesian Coffee. For those who are concerned with the pricing. Roaster is Matt T who was one of the original founders of boomtown coffee, which has been in the coffee game for many years. Owners are super nice and caring. I have seen and been to multiple coffee shops and hands down you get what you pay for. Space has urban industrial vibes. I’m happy to see more things like this coming to the East End. Well done Segundo Coffee lab.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Amanda Smith said:

I believe Segundo Coffee lab serves high quality artesian Coffee. For those who are concerned with the pricing. Roaster is Matt T who was one of the original founders of boomtown coffee, which has been in the coffee game for many years. Owners are super nice and caring. I have seen and been to multiple coffee shops and hands down you get what you pay for. Space has urban industrial vibes. I’m happy to see more things like this coming to the East End. Well done Segundo Coffee lab.

 

I think you meant artisan coffee. Artesian coffee evokes a never ending fountain of coffee coming from an infinite source😃

  • Like 1
  • Haha 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, wilcal said:

I know there wouldn't be a drive-thru, but would love a donut place to pop up in the East End. Maybe here would be a good place? 

I haven't been yet, but my friends who live off Lawndale love Mr. Donut (if you were looking for a donut place on the East End): https://g.co/kgs/4uT2SH

Edited by 77011transplant
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, 77011transplant said:

I haven't been yet, but my friends who live off Lawndale love Mr. Donut (if you were looking for a donut place on the East End): https://g.co/kgs/4uT2SH

I do love Mr. Donut, but was thinking of some of my friends who live off of Nagle who used to walk their dog on Sat morning and get a donut but that can't happen now. Also, Not Jus Donuts evidently doesn't sell donuts. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/23/2021 at 8:03 PM, wilcal said:

I do love Mr. Donut, but was thinking of some of my friends who live off of Nagle who used to walk their dog on Sat morning and get a donut but that can't happen now. Also, Not Jus Donuts evidently doesn't sell donuts. 

So you're saying it should be called Not Even Donuts

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Stopped by this weekend. The building itself is very cool and I like the 'pod' offices made of shipping containers, especially the double decker ones. Might be annoying to have the second floor office, but it made for some interesting variation when you walked around. Segundo was good, although I would agree a little pricey for what you get. They had Koffeteria pastries, which is always a win in my book, and there were plenty of people sitting around enjoying the space. Overall a neat spot! 

One pet peeve -- they had just paved the parking lot and it was way too hot and stank. I wish more places did a porous parking lot! Better for runoff and also doesn't end up getting so hot in the summer. Its not like we have to worry about plowing snow in the winter around here haha.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, sapo2367 said:

Stopped by this weekend. The building itself is very cool and I like the 'pod' offices made of shipping containers, especially the double decker ones. Might be annoying to have the second floor office, but it made for some interesting variation when you walked around. Segundo was good, although I would agree a little pricey for what you get. They had Koffeteria pastries, which is always a win in my book, and there were plenty of people sitting around enjoying the space. Overall a neat spot! 

One pet peeve -- they had just paved the parking lot and it was way too hot and stank. I wish more places did a porous parking lot! Better for runoff and also doesn't end up getting so hot in the summer. Its not like we have to worry about plowing snow in the winter around here haha.

Yeah and considering this area doesn't require parking, I wish they could do away with one of the parking lots. Preferably the one right next to the building. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Yeah and considering this area doesn't require parking, I wish they could do away with one of the parking lots. Preferably the one right next to the building. 

Agree. the area behind the building could make for a neat outdoor space.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think this area is within the area that doesn't require any parking?

according to the walkable places user guide, page 43, on a secondary TOD street, they need to meet 50% parking needs https://houstontx.gov/planning/docs_pdfs/User's Guide for WP and TOD report_6_24_2020.pdf

Milby is a secondary TOD road, as shown here.

https://mycity.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=21c363261727416fb517977a27407df9

I do wish this city would encourage permeable parking lots though.

Edited by samagon
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, samagon said:

I don't think this area is within the area that doesn't require any parking?

according to the walkable places user guide, page 43, on a secondary TOD street, they need to meet 50% parking needs https://houstontx.gov/planning/docs_pdfs/User's Guide for WP and TOD report_6_24_2020.pdf

Milby is a secondary TOD road, as shown here.

https://mycity.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=21c363261727416fb517977a27407df9

I do wish this city would encourage permeable parking lots though.

In terms of how the building is positioned on the property and whether it has to front the street or not is TOD/WP. But based off parking alone this business falls within the no parking mins area. I can see that rule applying outside of these areas. The developers probably felt it was going to be needed. 

 

Screen Shot 2019-07-17 at 12.01.46 PM.png

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

In terms of how the building is positioned on the property and whether it has to front the street or not is TOD/WP. But based off parking alone this business falls within the no parking mins area. I can see that rule applying outside of these areas. The developers probably felt it was going to be needed. 

 

Which is exactly how the system should work. 🤗

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

But based off parking alone this business falls within the no parking mins area.

Maybe I’m confused by the way you worded it, but this property does not fall within the existing or proposed (recently adopted?) MBP area in that map. This property is east of the Houston Belt and Terminal Railway, which puts it outside of the zone.

If it is outside of the MBP, then the typical archaic parking minimums required by the City of Houston apply, correct?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, thedistrict84 said:

Maybe I’m confused by the way you worded it, but this property does not fall within the existing or proposed (recently adopted?) MBP area in that map. This property is east of the Houston Belt and Terminal Railway, which puts it outside of the zone.

If it is outside of the MBP, then the typical archaic parking minimums required by the City of Houston apply, correct?

It does fall within the No Parking Min boundary. It doesn't require any parking but I'm assuming the developer did what they felt was best. Now if the development did fall outside of the No Parking Min boundary, they would have to follow TOD/WP criteria for parking if the street is considered TOD or secondary. And if the street isn't considered TOD or Secondary, then they have to follow original parking minimum requirements. However many spaces are needed per person. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

In terms of how the building is positioned on the property and whether it has to front the street or not is TOD/WP. But based off parking alone this business falls within the no parking mins area. I can see that rule applying outside of these areas. The developers probably felt it was going to be needed. 

 

Screen Shot 2019-07-17 at 12.01.46 PM.png

it doesn't though. the dotted line that denotes the new edge runs along the RR track. the red dot outside of the Market Based Parking is this location. actually, the red dot is 2 blocks low, sorry, it's across Milby from the box shaded 'transportation and utility'.

zGiM6Ju.png

here's a Google map with the boundary highlighted, which is easier to see locations than the COH map.

wVbLulB.png

it's super hard to follow the COH map, but this is just on the wrong side of the boundary for no parking necessary. but basically, with or without the map, the boundary on this side is the RR track, so in person it's easy to know what side you're on.

on a side note, the parking minimum is exactly the boundary of EaDo, which I'm guessing isn't a coincidence, but that's another easy marker. the thread title makes that part of it confusing, if that's what you were basing it off of, cause the title says this is in EaDo, but it's technically not.

Edited by samagon
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, samagon said:

it doesn't though. the dotted line that denotes the new edge runs along the RR track. the red dot outside of the Market Based Parking is this location. actually, the red dot is 2 blocks low, sorry, it's across Milby from the box shaded 'transportation and utility'.

zGiM6Ju.png

here's a Google map with the boundary highlighted, which is easier to see locations than the COH map.

wVbLulB.png

it's super hard to follow the COH map, but this is just on the wrong side of the boundary for no parking necessary. but basically, with or without the map, the boundary on this side is the RR track, so in person it's easy to know what side you're on.

on a side note, the parking minimum is exactly the boundary of EaDo, which I'm guessing isn't a coincidence, but that's another easy marker. the thread title makes that part of it confusing, if that's what you were basing it off of, cause the title says this is in EaDo, but it's technically not.

Oh wow you're right! Damn that's crazy. Well now it makes me wonder why they didn't include the rest of the East End. Especially with East River and Triden developments going on. And Montrose needs to be next. 

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I too wish that more of the east end was included in the parking minimum.

not just as mention the new places going up, but Harrisburg and Wayside area, that area has so much potential, and will really benefit from the TOD designation, but would benefit even more without parking minimums at all.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, samagon said:

I too wish that more of the east end was included in the parking minimum.

not just as mention the new places going up, but Harrisburg and Wayside area, that area has so much potential, and will really benefit from the TOD designation, but would benefit even more without parking minimums at all.

You can already see how the TOD standards are affecting Harrisburg. Exciting stuff but yes parking minimums have to go in this area. There is way too much potential!

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...