Jump to content

New bikeway to be created on Patterson in Rice Military


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, wilcal said:

 

Just because everyone is wearing XL shirts doesn't mean it isn't an XL shirt. 

Not everyone wears an XL shirt, but you would still expect it to fit in a standard size closet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, wilcal said:

As an aside, funny that you view it that way. I would say that the citizens of Houston are the ones that have rejected zoning and mandated that this density be allowed 😉 Maybe parking wouldn't be as difficult if there was a community parking program that charged a "fair" amount for taking up public right of way, because $32/year ain't it.

I think it would be more accurate to say that the citizens of Houston are the ones who have rejected zoning and mandated that the property owners be allowed to build more or less what they please (see the thread on the hubbub about the seven story Big Tex Storage facility being built in the heights or, if you really have time on your hands, read the hundred plus pages on the "Stop the Heights Walmart" thread.)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, wilcal said:

Making sure everyone isn't 100% is almost the goal, right? 

As a member of the public (and a future planner, hopefully) it freaking sucks that we can't get a protected bike lane between Buffalo Bayou and White Oak. Yes, I-10 and the railroad track are in the way and are both represented by entities other than the city or county, but how is this possible? Honestly, it feels inevitable. Same thing with connecting Memorial Park and Buffalo Bayou Park. It is a simple problem with evidently difficult solutions. 

Is the Patterson bikeway going to make traveling safer for cyclists and pedestrians? Yes. Is it something that more progressive countries would laugh at our implementation? Definitely. 

Are we going to have to wait for Shepherd or even Waugh to be developed? Sure. 

As an aside, funny that you view it that way. I would say that the citizens of Houston are the ones that have rejected zoning and mandated that this density be allowed 😉 Maybe parking wouldn't be as difficult if there was a community parking program that charged a "fair" amount for taking up public right of way, because $32/year ain't it. 

Just because everyone is wearing XL shirts doesn't mean it isn't an XL shirt. 

Waugh seems to be the obvious choice, it's close to the Jackson Hill bridge (which would provide access from BBP across Memorial). there's also Scotts Park, which is near the Rosemont bridge over Memorial. the city needs to install some signals at Feagan anyway, not just to allow traffic on the side street to move, but to help slow traffic on the Waugh bridge.

Waugh becomes Heights, which has bike lanes already, if not built out well, there's a perfect access point for the bayou.

at Shepherd there is the intersection of Memorial and Shepherd which would have to be completely redone to accommodate bicycles, at least it seems like it would be harder to accommodate than on Waugh/Heights.

after Shepherd splits and you've got Durham on one side and Shepherd on the other, then a bike lane makes more sense.

as far as this bike lane and less parking on the street, well, I don't feel a lot for those that bought a townhome that replaced 1/3 of a standard lot, and 'only' offers a 2 car garage in which to park a smaller than XL vehicle.

it's like people who buy next to an airport then complain about the noise. well, what were you expecting? the streets were sized for 1 house with (at the time they were designed) 1 car for every 5000sf. now there are 3 residences on the same sf, each with 2 cars at a minimum. with no zoning comes some responsibility for common sense.

I do feel bad for the people who own original homes on original sized lots in the neighborhood, I'm sure they're getting squeezed. 

anyway, back to connections between bayous, I remember somewhere seeing a rendering of redesign of Waugh and Memorial to get away from the cloverleaf, perhaps if that ever happens it would be a good time to design with access from BBP to areas north of Memorial in mind.

Edited by samagon
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, samagon said:

Waugh seems to be the obvious choice, it's close to the Jackson Hill bridge (which would provide access from BBP across Memorial). there's also Scotts Park, which is near the Rosemont bridge over Memorial. the city needs to install some signals at Feagan anyway, not just to allow traffic on the side street to move, but to help slow traffic on the Waugh bridge.

Waugh becomes Heights, which has bike lanes already, if not built out well, there's a perfect access point for the bayou.

at Shepherd there is the intersection of Memorial and Shepherd which would have to be completely redone to accommodate bicycles, at least it seems like it would be harder to accommodate than on Waugh/Heights.

after Shepherd splits and you've got Durham on one side and Shepherd on the other, then a bike lane makes more sense.

as far as this bike lane and less parking on the street, well, I don't feel a lot for those that bought a townhome that replaced 1/3 of a standard lot, and 'only' offers a 2 car garage in which to park a smaller than XL vehicle.

it's like people who buy next to an airport then complain about the noise. well, what were you expecting? the streets were sized for 1 house with (at the time they were designed) 1 car for every 5000sf. now there are 3 residences on the same sf, each with 2 cars at a minimum. with no zoning comes some responsibility for common sense.

I do feel bad for the people who own original homes on original sized lots in the neighborhood, I'm sure they're getting squeezed. 

anyway, back to connections between bayous, I remember somewhere seeing a rendering of redesign of Waugh and Memorial to get away from the cloverleaf, perhaps if that ever happens it would be a good time to design with access from BBP to areas north of Memorial in mind.

Ok, so this might not be breaking news, but I totally missed that the city is officially planning on doing a bikeway on Shepherd from Dickson going north to I-10 to connect with the Shepherd/Durham project. 

They added it to the Houston Bike Plan (or at least updated it) in December.

G8m6Uz3.png

The section between Dickson and Washington is currently in 90% design as is slated to be starting 1Q21.

Of course as you mentioned, trying to integrate it with Memorial may be a challenge, but it does appear that there is plenty of ROW for an expanded sidewalk/trail along the sides. 

VrU2egt.png

 

And yes, there are so great renderings of a Waugh redesign but there is not only no funding for it, they considered it a "dream" down the road project. Cost would be tooons of cash. 

Edited by wilcal
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/11/2021 at 7:42 PM, wilcal said:

As an aside, funny that you view it that way. I would say that the citizens of Houston are the ones that have rejected zoning and mandated that this density be allowed 😉 Maybe parking wouldn't be as difficult if there was a community parking program that charged a "fair" amount for taking up public right of way, because $32/year ain't it. 

I absolutely see your point, however the city can and does control lot subdivision without a zoning ordinance. That’s basically what has added density to these areas. Just a few years ago they allowed denser lot subdivision outside Loop 610 as well. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

TIRZ 5 is planning bike lane improvements and intersection improvements along Heights between I-10 and Washington (not sure what that will look like yet), and they are looking to find more future projects. Improvements to S Heights and the Washington intersection are an option for future funding. I’ve voiced my opinion with the TIRZ to fund this. I would suggest more do the same or the money will just continue flowing north...

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, wilcal said:

Ok, so this might not be breaking news, but I totally missed that the city is officially planning on doing a bikeway on Shepherd from Dickson going north to I-10 to connect with the Shepherd/Durham project. 

They added it to the Houston Bike Plan (or at least updated it) in December.

G8m6Uz3.png

The section between Dickson and Washington is currently in 90% design as is slated to be starting 1Q21.

Of course as you mentioned, trying to integrate it with Memorial may be a challenge, but it does appear that there is plenty of ROW for an expanded sidewalk/trail along the sides. 

VrU2egt.png

 

And yes, there are so great renderings of a Waugh redesign but there is not only no funding for it, they considered it a "dream" down the road project. Cost would be tooons of cash. 

I just read in Community Impact that Waugh/Commonwealth are getting reconstructed up to BBP starting this Spring funded by TIRZ. Originally was supposed to end at Dallas but was extended to the park. Is this something different? 

91545552-CB6D-4721-A6E4-F69E4BDF3394.jpeg

Edited by j_cuevas713
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I just read in Community Impact that Waugh/Commonwealth are getting reconstructed up to BBP starting this Spring funded by TIRZ. Originally was supposed to end at Dallas but was extended to the park. Is this something different? 

 

 

So this is different as we are talking about north of Buffalo Bayou and this is on the south side.

Haven't heard that they figured out how to get to BB, yet. IIRC, there is a different TIRZ along Allen Parkway and they were trying to figure out where and who was gonna pay. Again... this HAS to be done.

I frequently ride up Taft and I've been harassed several times by cars. One of the few places, actually. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

This bikeway was mentioned in the BAC Infrastructure meeting and I asked a question about it.

It's currently in 30% design phase and they are still looking at some road narrowing on Patterson north of Washington. Not sure how they are going to do that without killing some parking, but I guess we'll see. 

They also mentioned the word "chicane"

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wilcal said:

This bikeway was mentioned in the BAC Infrastructure meeting and I asked a question about it.

It's currently in 30% design phase and they are still looking at some road narrowing on Patterson north of Washington. Not sure how they are going to do that without killing some parking, but I guess we'll see. 

They also mentioned the word "chicane"

Aren’t chicanes essentially created by adding “bump-outs” from the side of the road? And then a driver must carefully (slowly) weave through them like a senior driving without their phone books in a big ole Cadillac. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, skooljunkie said:

Aren’t chicanes essentially created by adding “bump-outs” from the side of the road? And then a driver must carefully (slowly) weave through them like a senior driving without their phone books in a big ole Cadillac. 

Yes, that would be the idea. She is not the project lead, so she didn't have any real specifics unfortunately. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, BeerNut said:

Its Happening Ron Paul GIF

 

The general response in my neighborhood would be "OMG, I can't believe they are going to make biking safer by making it harder for me to drive 50 while texting. It's going to make me even later dropping the kids off at school, which means I'll be really late to my hot yoga class. How can they do this to me. Stupid bicycles need to be banned, they are a menace to cars. And, who cares if pedestrians can't get across the street easily, they should be in a car - that's how humans are meant to get around"

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you feel the same way about drivers who blow through stop signs, or is it just cyclists?

Is it relevant to you that traffic laws were designed for cars with bikes only awkwardly included? 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gmac said:

Cyclists are fine as long as they follow all the traffic laws. Blowing through stop signs is a sure recipe to end up as an asphalt pizza with human topping.

Cyclists who blow through stop signs without slowing or checking for traffic are not just flouting traffic laws, they're borderline suicidal. 
But this is not usually the case. Most cyclists are acutely aware of how vulnerable they are, and don't play games of chicken with motor vehicles. 
When riding on side streets that have stop signs every block or two, many cyclists (myself included) will slow when approaching the intersection and prepare to stop if there are vehicles or pedestrians who have the right-of-way. Otherwise, it makes sense to maintain some inertia. 
Repeatedly starting from a dead stop is exhausting and puts cyclists at a disadvantage. If a situation arises, they're caught flat-footed and unable to run or bike out of harm's way.
Traffic laws can do a lot of good, but as @Texasotapointed out, most were written specifically for cars. They work better if common sense is used in their application.

Edited by dbigtex56
grammar
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Texasota said:

Do you feel the same way about drivers who blow through stop signs, or is it just cyclists?

Is it relevant to you that traffic laws were designed for cars with bikes only awkwardly included? 

Nope.

I get much more upset by automobile drivers who flout the laws. I've never seen a cyclist kill someone else by breaking the law.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

can we spend a moment of our time to discuss vehicle drivers that are always going at least 10 over the limit? I'd say that's probably 98% of all vehicles on the road. 

then there's the ultra fast guys who want to go 20 over and want to only do it in the left lane so they park their car in your rear seat if you aren't going fast enough for them. of course, this is the same guy who's willing to endanger the lives of a cyclist who might be obeying all the laws of the road.

shrug, can't we all just get along?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, gmac said:

Nope.

I get much more upset by automobile drivers who flout the laws. I've never seen a cyclist kill someone else by breaking the law.

Quite right.  On a recent bike ride, I was paused at a traffic signal.  Signal turned green for me, but I waited for the car that blew threw her red light while reading something on her phone.  If I blow threw a red light reading my phone while on my bike, it's MY problem.  The phone-reader in her car is going to kill someone.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...


×
×
  • Create New...