Sign in to follow this  
CrockpotandGravel

Shepherd 10 Business Park @ 600 N Shepherd Dr

CrockpotandGravel    4,336

Shepherd 10 Business Park, 600 North Shepherd Dr at W 6th St in Houston.

lvuaUd1.jpg

VyXQHoa.jpg

From Loopnet listing in 2013:

Lot size: 11.97 Acres
Building Size     65,298 SF 
Built: 1979

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/18375747/600-N-Shepherd-Dr-Houston-TX/
https://web.archive.org/web/20181115213051/https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/18375747/600-N-Shepherd-Dr-Houston-TX/  (archive link)

From Loopnet listing April 2018

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/600-N-Shepherd-Dr-Houston-TX/12277851/
https://web.archive.org/web/20181115213209/https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/600-N-Shepherd-Dr-Houston-TX/12277851/  (archive link)

image.jpg

ZreX1lG.jpg

RehdCOr.jpg

qfFwIVz.jpg

6SXTn9e.jpg

p27KSOO.jpg

Edited by CrockpotandGravel

The Shepherd 10 Business Park, 600 N Shepherd Dr @ W 6th St and W 7th St, is being redeveloped. Radom Capital will transform the property into a redeveloped commercial project dubbed MKT, or The MKT,  or M-K-T, or The M-K-T, or Heights MKT.

From Houston Business Journal:

Houston-based Radom Capitol, alongside Houston-based Triten Real Estate Partners, are developing a 12-acre site at North Shepherd Street and 6th Street and 7th Street, per a Radom Capital announcement. The site’s currently home to more than 200,000 square feet of industrial buildings; those buildings will be redeveloped into a mixed-use project that will contain 100,000 square feet of creative office space and 100,000 square feet of chef-driven restaurants, first-to-market retailers and studio fitness concepts, per the announcement.

The development, dubbed M-K-T, is set to deliver in the first quarter of 2020. It’ll contain more than 30 tenants new to the Heights area, per the announcement.

Radom Capital and Triten Real Estate Partners are also working alongside Boston-based Long Wharf Capital LLC. Michael Hsu Office of Architecture designed the project, and SWA Group is the landscape architect. Information on the general contractor wasn’t available.  

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2018/11/15/exclusive-heights-mercantile-developer-planning.html

Renderings of The M·K·T (or could be M·K·T, MKT, The MKT,  M-K-T, or The M-K-T).
This is the site of the Shepherd 10 Business Park, 600 N Shepherd Dr @ W 6th St and W 7th St in Houston.

6K5nJd4r.jpg

tlFypEf.jpg

Building 2
7DlPt8G.jpg

91VasDe.jpg

Wwufs48.jpg

YkXVS6y.jpg?1

Offices at The M·K·T

Now:
iaXEqbU.jpg

After: (part of the office spaces)
FMhxBdm.jpg

Gl0YN7g.jpg

Building 5 Office Entrance
lpjMcNM.jpg

Building 5 Lobby Commons

7901fyD.jpg

Site plan for The M·K·T (or could be M·K·T, MKT, The MKT,  M-K-T, or The M-K-T).
This is the site of the Shepherd 10 Business Park, 600 N Shepherd Dr @ W 6th St and W 7th St in Houston.

TjSXcoe.jpg

Lookbook for for The M·K·T (or could be M·K·T, MKT, The MKT,  M-K-T, or The M-K-T).

https://themkt.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/mkt_digital_lookbook_9mb.pdf?mtime=20181105141649

https://web.archive.org/web/20181115222118/https://themkt.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/mkt_digital_lookbook_9mb.pdf?mtime=20181105141649  (archive link)

About M·K·T  or The M·K·T  from the Lookbook:

M·K·T is Houston's Heights' largest trail-oriented, mixed-use project, designed by the acclaimed  Michael Hsu Office of Architecture.

m•k•t is a collection of adapted industrial buildings in the heart of The Heights; one of Houston's most historic and dynamic neighborhoods.

Our local development team challenged the notion that successful mixed-use projects have to demolish the past. Our partnership is committed to contributing to the neighborhood through restrained scale and distinctive architecture.

* 4 Acres Of Green Spaces
* 30 New Merchants & Restaurants
* 5 Reimagined Buildings
* 200K+ Square Feet Of Adapted Space

A Gateway to Houston's Greenbelt 

* 1,000 linear feet frontage on the Heights M·K·T bike trail

m•k•t is named after the historic Missouri-Kansas-Texas (MKT) railroad line. This abandoned rail line was transformed into the vibrant MKT Heights Hike and Bike Trail that will form the project's 3-acre linear park.

Unique Retail

The Heights is among the city's most desirable communities and has been enlivened by avant-garde chefs, artists and merchants.

Innovative brands such as Warby Parker, Lululemon, Marine Layer, Forth & Nomad, Aesop and Saint Lo already call this neighborhood home. m•k•t combines the area's affinity for thoughtful architecture and independent brands with unmatched walkability and green spaces.

m•k•t sits at the epicenter of Houston's award-winning trail system, linking 150-miles of greenways and trails. Ridership on the MKT Bike Trail has increased significantly and continues to grow as the trail network is further expanded.

Houston's Best Culinary Minds

The city’s best chefs have chosen The Heights to debut nationally-acclaimed experiences including Coltivare, Better Luck Tomorrow, Field & Tides and Melange Creperie.

m•k•t will feature 8 thoughtfully-selected food and beverage destinations including first-to-market national concepts paired with locally-inspired, chef-driven restaurants.

13 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

More on MKT, or The MKT,  or M-K-T, or The M-K-T, the site of Shepherd 10 Business Park, 600 N Shepherd Dr @ W 6th St and W 7th St in Houston.

A fly through video of the proposed development:

https://player.vimeo.com/video/299060607

Video stills of  M·K·T the site of Shepherd 10 Business Park, 600 N Shepherd Dr @ W 6th St and W 7th St in Houston.

Aerial view of the M·K·T
z5jmAi3.jpg

0pit9dh.jpg

ffCB5El.jpg

Buildings 4 and 5 of The M·K·T
knzuogw.jpg

UkvKXKo.jpg

UBrdRFQ.jpg

qixo0sk.jpg

YyIFDdc.jpg

gB3BZBe.jpg

YqKQVY5.jpg

GH7cDK1.jpg

RL1oTft.jpg

UyDfGZg.jpg

Purdueenginerd    767

The architect isnt making the structural engineer's life easy on this one. Tilt Wall construction like that and it looks like theyre cutting huge holes in it and significantly altering building profiles. I get the feeling this might be scaled back significantly once it gets to the DD issue of the drawings. Neat complex though

Visitor    156

What an upgrade! Why can't I shake the feeling this is not actually going happen?

More on MKT, or The MKT,  or M-K-T, or The M-K-T, the site of Shepherd 10 Business Park, 600 N Shepherd Dr @ W 6th St and W 7th St in Houston.

More video stills of the M·K·T the site of Shepherd 10 Business Park, 600 N Shepherd Dr @ W 6th St and W 7th St in Houston.

dJS4gRe.jpg

P4MxzJC.jpg

sZDKZBP.jpg

88TtQbr.jpg

0zXGjwC.jpg

SYSN4R6.jpg
2R7afQJ.jpg

LmjDxMAr.jpg
Hcocu6D.jpg

More video stills of the M·K·T the site of Shepherd 10 Business Park, 600 N Shepherd Dr @ W 6th St and W 7th St in Houston.

Bt1WPFk.jpg

jCp92X8.jpg
6TFPKrX.jpg

XTSOryA.jpg

14 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

yPzNzkj.jpg

UKkXFlx.jpg

IYU1s5g.jpg

FcV38BC.jpg

zaeXTwT.jpg

0eMdnPr.jpg

f8CS7Nk.jpg

4n7sv5V.jpg

8WQlEzU.jpg

bbtd0tS.jpg

34qC5dz.jpg

12 hours ago, swtsig said:

just wait til phase II

11 hours ago, Texasota said:

I dig it. Hoping Phase 2 includes lots o' residential.

If Phase 2 surpasses Phase 1, I am anxious for it.

Radom Capital preserves existing buildings as much as possible, and build on it. I wish the owners of the old Houston Press building in downtown Houston would have taken their position.

10 hours ago, Purdueenginerd said:

The architect isnt making the structural engineer's life easy on this one. Tilt Wall construction like that and it looks like theyre cutting huge holes in it and significantly altering building profiles. I get the feeling this might be scaled back significantly once it gets to the DD issue of the drawings. Neat complex though

My thoughts were similar to yours. Going forward, if plans are approved by the city, most of the vision seen here will remain in tact. Inserting space for sunlight to enter into the existing buildings will be a challenge, but windows are needed for this warehouse conversion.

s3mh    261

I would not want to own a house on Waverly between 11th and this development.  Waverly is going to end up being the street to access this development from the north.  They really should build 6th street to go all the way through, but pylons for a bridge over the retention pond would displace too much water and require them to dig deeper into the very contaminated soil.  But I bet a bridge over the retention pond would be a great home for bats.

Otherwise, it is a great idea, especially the way it integrates with the hike and bike path.  People shopping/dining at this development can walk about a half mi and be over at Heights Mercantile.  

The only thing I wonder about is where we are on the supply and demand curve for retail space in the Heights.  Radam is a smart guy and must have a lot of leasing leads to take on 200k sq ft.  But I also feel like we are getting to the limit on the number of juice bars, pilates/yoga studios, fancy barber shops, and coffee shops you can fit into the Heights. 

swtsig    2,326
2 hours ago, s3mh said:

I would not want to own a house on Waverly between 11th and this development.  Waverly is going to end up being the street to access this development from the north.  They really should build 6th street to go all the way through, but pylons for a bridge over the retention pond would displace too much water and require them to dig deeper into the very contaminated soil.  But I bet a bridge over the retention pond would be a great home for bats.

Otherwise, it is a great idea, especially the way it integrates with the hike and bike path.  People shopping/dining at this development can walk about a half mi and be over at Heights Mercantile.  

The only thing I wonder about is where we are on the supply and demand curve for retail space in the Heights.  Radam is a smart guy and must have a lot of leasing leads to take on 200k sq ft.  But I also feel like we are getting to the limit on the number of juice bars, pilates/yoga studios, fancy barber shops, and coffee shops you can fit into the Heights. 

you bring up some very salient points and i too wonder when we'll become oversaturated on the retail side of things but he's not moving forward on any of this without some very strong commitments. the second phase will add more office and mf than retail so it will certainly create its own sense of place that can help feed the retail and hospitality in place. it will also create amazing greenspace. ultimately he's going to knock this outta of the park.

j_cuevas713    1,251

I live on Heights Blvd. I'll do my best to give updates. I run through this area just about every day.

Edited by j_cuevas713

Luminare    1,570
17 hours ago, Purdueenginerd said:

If there is a significant steel structure like they are showing, then this probably isn't a tilt wall complex don't you think? (as an architect asking an engineer). From the renderings its possible that they will strip the building to the bear structure (which in this market will save millions on steel costs) and just redo the envelope and roof. Thats just from a first pass at looking at this.

EDIT: Upon doing a second pass and then looking at the original building, this looks like a steel structure with precast aggregate concrete panels for the exterior. I'm just not convinced this is tilt wall. Could be wrong though.

Edited by Luminare

Houston Chronicle wrote two articles yesterday on  M·K·T the site of Shepherd 10 Business Park, 600 N Shepherd Dr @ W 6th St and W 7th St in Houston.

Here is the link to one of them. It's paraphrasing the press release and has the exact information as the Houston Business Journal article from the day before:
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/Heights-developers-embark-on-12-acre-retail-and-13398311.php

Here is the second one with more details and an interview with the developers:

How M·K·T was born:

It didn’t take long for Houston developers Steve Radom and Scott Arnoldy to realize they share a similar vision about preserving old buildings, even if the buildings are unremarkable warehouses from the 1970s. Most any other developer would promptly call in the wrecking ball.

Radom, who built Heights Mercantile , the eclectic shopping district fashioned out of a collection of old structures and new ones, called Arnoldy when he learned that the fellow developer was buying an industrial park at the northeast intersection of North Shepherd and 6th Street that he had also long admired.

“We hit it off on about every level you could,” recalled Arnoldy, managing partner of Triten Real Estate Partners. “I eventually just said, ‘Why don’t you just come in and do it with us.’”

That was the beginning of project called M-K-T, which will transform a 12-acre site into 200,000 square feet of high-end offices, shopping, restaurants and a fitness complex. Triten and Radom’s company, Radom Capital, are seeking tenants.

On the construction and design:

The five industrial buildings on the property will be redesigned and repurposed — and in some cases, deconstructed — as a walkable development that also will include parks, public art and “abundant bicycle parking,” the developers said. The property’s location is along the Heights Hike and Bike Trail. The White Oak Bayou Trail is south of the property.

Slated for an early 2020 completion, the development will be split equally between office and retail space. The architects are Michael Hsu Office of Architecture and SWA Group. Method Architecture is also involved.

Radom said the new design peels away the flat, monolithic facades of the warehouses. Some of the buildings may be gutted, leaving their joists exposed to create plazas or space for parking.

“The landscape design for M-K-T preserves yet enhances the historic Houston Heights character,” Kinder Baumgartner, Principal at SWA Group, said in a statement. “We complemented the design with new greenspaces, native plantings and community seating opportunities.”

Cost and expected start of construction:

Radom and Arnoldy declined to disclose their investment in the property and the estimated development cost other than saying it would be tens of millions of dollars. The project has financial backing from Long Wharf Capital LLC, a Boston private equity firm.

Construction is expected to start by the middle of next year after the last tenants move out. All of the leases contained clauses that tenants may have to relocate if the property changed hands. The seller had owned the property since the early 1990s. The deal closed in May.

The developers said they intend to lease space to local and first-to-market tenants, similar to the approach at Radom’s Heights Mercantile, which includes Warby Parker, Local Foods, Postino Wine Cafe and Aesop.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/Heights-warehouses-to-see-new-life-as-urban-13400147.php

Purdueenginerd    767
On 11/16/2018 at 1:38 PM, Luminare said:

If there is a significant steel structure like they are showing, then this probably isn't a tilt wall complex don't you think? (as an architect asking an engineer). From the renderings its possible that they will strip the building to the bear structure (which in this market will save millions on steel costs) and just redo the envelope and roof. Thats just from a first pass at looking at this.

EDIT: Upon doing a second pass and then looking at the original building, this looks like a steel structure with precast aggregate concrete panels for the exterior. I'm just not convinced this is tilt wall. Could be wrong though.

I could be wrong as well as I have not seen the interior framing. But if I had to guess, I would opine that its steel frame for the center columns and beams to support the roof bar joists however the exterior perimeter appears to me to me tilt wall with a decorative finish. That tilt wall is likely supporting the other side of the bar joists. Those exposed aggregate tilt wall buildings were really popular in the 70's and 80's. Link below with some construction details on how theyre built.

https://www.concreteconstruction.net/how-to/tilt-up-exposed-aggregate_o

I pulled an image from 1978 from when the complex was under construction. Pretty hard to tell but it looks like the walls are up and theres no roof on the building(the Center building) yet which is consistent with tilt-wall construction.

1978.png

SamHouston    10

Related, I love/hate how Google Maps takes the MKT Trail and interprets it as "Market Trail". Same how sometimes "West Road" becomes "W Rd". Robots aren't beating that CAPTCHA soon.

SamHouston    10

Related, I love/hate how Google Maps takes the MKT Trail and interprets it as "Market Trail". Same how sometimes "West Road" becomes "W Rd". Robots aren't beating that CAPTCHA soon.

Visitor    156

Yes, looks like it. Although the photos in the article all from all over developments.

Angostura    518
On 11/16/2018 at 1:49 PM, s3mh said:

Access to this site is tricky for anyone actually coming from the Heights (by car). 

If Shepherd/Durham weren't the functional equivalent of an 8-lane highway running through the neighborhood, but were instead a pair of 3-lane two-way streets, it wouldn't be as much of a problem.

Loopnet listing is up for The M·K·T or M-K-T.

The M-K-T is the transformation of 12 acres in Houston’s urban core into an active, bike-trail-facing destination for fitness, retail, restaurants and creative office. The project has 1,000 linear feet of frontage on the Heights hike & bike trail (formerly the M-K-T rail line) as well as easy access to Shepherd Drive, I-10, and the Heights neighborhood. The existing industrial structures will be deconstructed and reinvented as art-forward, modern buildings linked by green pathways and a several-acre park. Delivery late 2019.

https://www.loopnet.com/listing/600-n-shepherd-dr-houston-tx/14398730/
https://web.archive.org/web/20181206140445/https://www.loopnet.com/listing/600-n-shepherd-dr-houston-tx/14398730/   (archive link)

Rendering and site map from Loopnet listing of The M·K·T or The M-K-T.

https://www.loopnet.com/xNet/Looplink/TmplEngine/ListingProfilePage.aspx?LID=14398730&siteid=3349&LL=true

The  M-K-T Bldg 4 and Bldg 5 Rendering
i6s39zx.jpg

The M-K-T Bldg 4
0U03yaD.jpg

The M-K-T Bldg 4 Evening Rendering
hkjZmBm.jpg

The M-K-T Bldg 1 Plaza Rendering
UUlKbv4.jpg

rPrL3Ah.jpg

mkultra25    606

Love the "BUY" and "NOSH" signs-as-imperatives in the Bldg 4 rendering. If this is an emerging trend for design placeholders, I look forward to "CONSUME" and "OBEY" in future renderings.