Houston's Own Beyonce - House Of Dereon

citykid09

When artists adopt hangouts and local curcuits, then a "scene" is developed. This was true for Seattle and Grunge, Harlem and Swing, Philly and R&B, New Orleans and Jazz, Memphis and Blues, the list goes on. If Houston's "big time" artists were to make a conscious effort to collaborate, play at the same local venues, and be more in the public eye, then will people began to talk about Houston or the "Houston sound". As a byproduct, talent will began to come out of bars, lounges, clubs, etc...

The thing is that we already have our niche: Houston and screwed & chopped rap music. Thats all that Houston's known for musically.

lol.. Those Kenny Rogers MAD TV skits kill me. :)

:lol: My favorite one is the Jackass skit where Kenny vomits all over the other two guys he's with after drinking gallons of milk. That is hysterical, esp if you saw the original Jackass episode.

Oh no. No offense Velvetj, but as an extremely light skinned black person myself, that whole thing get's on my nerves. But anyway, I agree that the acting is not that great, but for the most part the girl is talented and yes it sounds like a personal issue, but we all have our opinions. As far as the joining Houston rappers that are starting to get noticed on a national level, I don't mean to try to defend the person, but just to be open minded, that is with every artist it seems and not just DC3. Is it the fact that the group is at a cerain status and they are not reppin'? What if it was someone like Brooke Valentine who has left Houston in the same fashion as evryone else.

Destiny's Child mad me really mad on there soldier video when they had a rapper and a car with a new york licence plate, then a rapper from the south with a Georgia licence plate and a rapper from the west with a California car licence plate. I was like where is the Texas plate??? I was mad!!! But any ways Kelly reps for Houston more than Beyonce. She says H-Town in many of there songs.

You all are too much for me.

It's the little things like the mention of your cities name in a song that gets a city noticed. Think about it man! When Houston is mentioned in the national media it is always fallowed by the word "Texas," it can't sand alone like other cities. I know you hate it when I say this but you don't here Atlanta followed by "Georgia" or Dallas followed by "Texas" or Los Angeles followed by "California." Why because those cities are known.

It's the little things like the mention of your cities name in a song that gets a city noticed. Think about it man! When Houston is mentioned in the national media it is always fallowed by the word "Texas," it can't sand alone like other cities. I know you hate it when I say this but you don't here Atlanta followed by "Georgia" or Dallas followed by "Texas" or Los Angeles followed by "California." Why because those cities are known.

Yeah...I hate it when I always "here" Houston "fallowed" by the "word" Texas. That's why I was so happy when Armstrong said, "Atlanta, the Eagle has landed" because they are so known for that.

Now if we could only get that kind of recognition by some bling-coated crack thug. :lol:

B)

Opps...I forgot this was a topic about "fashion".

I'm sorry citykid09, but at first I did not think much of it because I do not know the forumers here very well but texasboy was somewhat right when describing your sentiments at SSP.

aa35oj.jpg

I see the media is very important to you and that is ok, because we are all different, but don't throw it in other forumers face and call them boring because they are not into how saying a city's name in a rap song makes a city more recognized and important. You honestly do not see anything silly about that? Believe me, most people do not base their views on cities by who is claiming it as their hometown. C'mon, how lame was that to say you are disappointed that rappers say H-Town soft in their songs?

I'm sorry citykid09, but at first I did not think much of it because I do not know the forumers here very well but texasboy was somewhat right when describing your sentiments at SSP...

...I see the media is very important to you and that is ok, because we are all different, but don't throw it in other forumers face and call them boring because they are not into how saying a city's name in a rap song makes a city more recognized and important. You honestly do not see anything silly about that? Believe me, most people do not base their views on cities by who is claiming it as their hometown. C'mon, how lame was that to say you are disappointed that rappers say H-Town soft in their songs?

Well done, Western.

In any event, regardless of how much emphasis citykid or anyone else places on the importance of how some little known "rapper" refers to Houston on one of his little known tracks, I-and I say this as a gay man-could sit and watch that woman read the dictionary regardless of what she has on. She is nothing less than one of god's better delights to the eye.

B)

Oh, and one more thing, If any of you watch 106th and park, yall know that Atlanta rap always had the most songs on there last year but this year, and today, its all Houston. Watch and you will see.

Swisher House is definately running things right now, no Jay-Z no Master-P, Eminem quit, and everything P.Diddy touches turns to lead. So Houston rap is hot for the next 5 minutes, just like our weather. :lol:

A few weeks ago we had a wrong number.

On the caller ID it said "Lil Flip".

Could it be?

NO, that was the Pancake house down the street calling you by accident. :D

• 2 weeks later...
If anyone want to see the world premeire of Beyonce's new video. Click Here. The ____ is beautiful. The director Hype Williams is a genius. Click on download under the picture of her in the pink. When they ask for a username, type beyonceworld and the password is nohotlinking.

http://beyonceworld.fanwired.com/

That was quite the show. I can't say I am a fan of the song though. I think Velvetj's claim about her beauty being overrated was out of frustration. ;) Just kidding Velvet.

That was quite the show. I can't say I am a fan of the song though. I think Velvetj's claim about her beauty being overrated was out of frustration. ;) Just kidding Velvet.

Well, I just watched the video and I have to say the song has grown on me. I can say I actually like it and I enjoyed the video. However, I stand by my opinion that her beauty is overrated and feel she has been given a unfair advantage soley based upon her skin color. Keep in mind I never said Beyonce' was not attractive, it's just IMO she is no more attractive than say a Megan Good, but most people would say she is. And whether they realize it or not, they would view Beyonce' as the more attractive one simply because she has light skin. We still live in a society where caucasian features are the basic standard of beauty for EVERYONE. And no matter who you are, the more caucasian you appear to be, whether in hair or skin color, the more attractive you are considered, and Beyonce is no exception. That's why the other girls in the group had to go to tanning salons, and change their names to ones that are "less ethnic", while she didn't. Oooops, did I say too much? Oh, no I didn't say too much because that has already been adressed and admitted to by Tina Knowles.

I'm sorry guys, skin color in terms of one being superior to the other has always been a pet-peeve of mind, particularly in the black community.

Anyway, I am glad she has Bun and Slimm in there.

• 2 months later...

And it continues. It is now February 19, 2006 and still this year the media from New York, the supposed ivory tower of cities, still refer to "Houston, Texas" not once but twice in the same article!

Notice how it's "Houston, Texas" and then simply "Denver."

Really p---es me off.

http://www.nba.com/allstar2006/news/destin...ild_060131.html

"NEW YORK, Jan. 31, 2006 - One of the biggest selling female acts of all-time, Destiny’s Child will share Center Court with NBA All-Stars, reuniting for their last ever performance to sing the national anthem preceding the 2006 NBA All-Star Game at the Toyota Center in their native Houston, Texas, Sunday, Feb. 19.

Destiny's Child performed before the 2005 NBA All-Star Game in Denver.

Frank Micelotta/Getty Images/NBAE

The 55th NBA All-Star Game will be televised in the U.S. by TNT beginning at 8:00 p.m. ET to a global audience in 215 countries.

The multi-talented members of Destiny’s Child, who have collectively won eight Grammy Awards and been nominated for six more, have burgeoning music, TV and film careers. The group’s chief songwriter and producer, Houston, Texas native Beyonce Knowles..."

And it continues. It is now February 19, 2006 and still this year the media from New York, the supposed ivory tower of cities, still refer to "Houston, Texas" not once but twice in the same article!

Notice how it's "Houston, Texas" and then simply "Denver."

Really p---es me off.

http://www.nba.com/allstar2006/news/destin...ild_060131.html

"NEW YORK, Jan. 31, 2006 - One of the biggest selling female acts of all-time, Destiny

• 6 years later...

Five years have passed.. Apology?

From who? Me to Beyonce? Because she has mentioned Houston a lot in her music now-a-days. I had forgotten all about this thread and I wonder whatever happened to texasboy and westerngulf?

Archived