Mod Tour- Oct 13 Endangered Jones Hall & Tranquility Park

SpaceAge

2a9d3f3b-7a9f-48db-98c5-2a8f700758c3.jpg
f9ade059-b956-4fc2-bc1f-017aa52108a4.jpg

Jesse H. Jones Hall for the Performing Arts
and Tranquillity Park Walking Tour

Saturday, October 13, 2018, 2 - 4 PM

Docomomo US Tour Day 2018, Public Spaces - Inside and Out

You are invited to join Houston Mod for a special walking tour in downtown Houston of the Jesse H. Jones Hall for the Performing Arts designed by Caudill Rowlett Scott, 1966, and Tranquillity Park designed by Charles Tapley Associates, 1979.

Small groups will be lead through Tranquillity Park, and around and inside Jones Hall with special access to behind the scenes areas. The tour will include a discussion on the historic significance of the spaces, the important role they have played in Houston's civic life, and future renovation plans.

The event is part of Docomomo US Tour Day, an annual celebration of modern architecture and design where participants across the country simultaneously tour local modern sites. Tour Day includes over 50 tours in over 30 cities hosted by Docomomo US regional chapters and friends organizations. The theme for Tour Day 2018 is Public Spaces - Inside and Out.

Houston Mod members and non-members are welcome to attend. Members were offered first chance to reserve tickets, but on Thursday, October 11 at 9 a.m. anyone may register for the event. Registration is required, so please sign up if you are interested! The event is free; a $10 suggested donation may be made if you feel so inclined. Professional AIA participants will earn 2 HSW learning units for attending. 

Share the tour with friends at the Facebook event page. Email info@houstonmod.org with any questions.

• 2 months later...

I remember going on a class field trip right after Jones Hall opened to hear a concert (probably in 1966). The teachers made us kids stand in single file lines once inside as we made our way to our upper level seats. The corridor and stairs were carpeted (red if I remember right). Us boys would scuff our shoes (penny loafers of course) on the carpet  and then touch the person in front of us on the neck (likely a girl) and shock the hell out of them. We were quickly admonished by our teachers (nuns of course!).

I think I've been back one other time (in the 1970's) to see the Nutcracker.
Great Place.

Archived