Vertigo58

6 minutes ago, dbigtex56 said:

There's nothing quite like finding ones self at Buffalo Bayou Park on a sweltering summer day, realizing that dehydration is rapidly setting in, and that sinking feeling of knowing that it's at least a half mile walk to find a beverage.
COH should not only allow food trucks along Allen Parkway and Memorial, it should encourage them. Perhaps any revenue generated could be used to add drinking fountains along the jogging path.

No joke, my wife and I made the foolish decision of walking nearly 3 miles around Bayou Park at noon in the middle of July last summer. We were contemplating calling an Uber about halfway through because it was so hot 😂. As much as I love the park, going those long distances without a water fountain or options for purchasing drinks was rough. Definitely one of the things that could be improved in the park, as well as adding more trash cans and dog bag stations.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, dbigtex56 said:

There's nothing quite like finding ones self at Buffalo Bayou Park on a sweltering summer day, realizing that dehydration is rapidly setting in, and that sinking feeling of knowing that it's at least a half mile walk to find a beverage.
COH should not only allow food trucks along Allen Parkway and Memorial, it should encourage them. Perhaps any revenue generated could be used to add drinking fountains along the jogging path.

I agree. There are quite a few water fountains though. I carry a water bottle and fill it at them. The water tastes pretty bad though.

It looks like there might be some retail in “A” and “B” facing the park. “B” is probably a long ways from starting construction though.

I thought the Dunlavy was going to fill this role a bit but it’s turned into Brunch and private party spot. It’s of very little use to people who actually use the park.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jgriff said:

I agree. There are quite a few water fountains though. I carry a water bottle and fill it at them. The water tastes pretty bad though.

It looks like there might be some retail in “A” and “B” facing the park. “B” is probably a long ways from starting construction though.

I thought the Dunlavy was going to fill this role a bit but it’s turned into Brunch and private party spot. It’s of very little use to people who actually use the park.

Yeah the Dunlavy needs to have a walk-up window.

And they should allow/encourage food and drink carts to operate in the park.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, CaptainJilliams said:

as well as adding more trash cans and dog bag stations.

So much this!. A lot of our parks don't really have them. One day I realized when I got to the park that I had forgotten to being my bags and I just turned around and went home. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Tumbleweed_Tx said:

they didn't learn anything from Green Street, huh...

Its not the same situation. All the retail is street facing and pedestrian oriented unlike Greenstreet.  Also, there is retail facing Allen Parkway clearly shown on the plan. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, hindesky said:

I don't know what this used to be but there was a strong odor of ammonia emanating from the demolition.

RHvZSgm.jpg

Lots of old commercial air conditioning units used ammonia as the working fluid.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, CaptainJilliams said:

Do we know for sure if the Hugh Roy and Lillie Cullen Building will be re-purposed or demoed for the Hanover project? 

I don't know but it's a horrible looking building up close. Went by there about a month ago, it's in bad shape.

It reminded me of buildings you see of old Soviet era slum buildings.

Edited by hindesky
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, hindesky said:

I don't know but it's a horrible looking building up close. Went by there about a month ago, it's in bad shape.

It reminded me of buildings you see of old Soviet era slum buildings.

Honestly, with just a good pressure washing it would probably look better than an unfortunate number of the hotels/apartments being built nowadays will look after the same 45 years.

• Like 2