Vertigo58

So excited for a larger district with both developments in this area. The possible planned high/mid rises is starting to creep up there now. If they all get built this will be possibly the most densely populated area in Houston am I right? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Timoric said:

It is amazing how much ugly is getting replaced all across the city - throw in some nice new parks - some transit improvements - some urban enclaves - and you won't hear say Houston is an ugly city anymore from back in the day when there were billboards everywhere, industrial, endless strip centers, and odd neighbors from no zoning

Yep, Cities develop in layers...always have!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Timoric said:

It is amazing how much ugly is getting replaced all across the city - throw in some nice new parks - some transit improvements - some urban enclaves - and you won't hear it said Houston is an ugly city (Dallasites) anymore from back in the day when there were billboards everywhere, industrial, endless strip centers, and odd neighbors from no zoning

Of course the area between 610 and Beltway 8, and maybe even out to the Grand Parkway, is as ugly as it ever has been and is not getting replaced.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

Of course the area between 610 and Beltway 8, and maybe even out to the Grand Parkway, is as ugly as it ever has been and is not getting replaced.

No, it just gets replicated. Driving west on I-10 from the city is like watching a tape loop. Every 7-8 miles or so the same set of big box stores repeats.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Angostura said:

No, it just gets replicated. Driving west on I-10 from the city is like watching a tape loop. Every 7-8 miles or so the same set of big box stores repeats.

I'd go even farther...the entire Texas Triangle is fast becoming a series of strip centers, parking lots, and beaver-themed gas station supercenters. Our frontage roads create a frightful sight from Leander to Baytown, Prosper to Boerne, and all places between. Build, baby, build!

This project should really stand out strong. The new tower on West Gray in the River Oaks Shopping Center is now popping out over the treeline and really stands out when driving over Buffalo Bayou. These will add to that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Angostura said:

22 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

Agreed. Even though I detest this aspect of our city, I've come to find it strangely fascinating this strange expanse of hyper-conformity + hyper-sameness. Its a really interesting radical landscape. Combine that with how flat our geography is and its really surreal. I remember one time, many years ago, my mom, sister, and I were driving to Galveston from Cypress. To avoid traffic we went via Galveston Rd. (was a terrible idea). Anyway, at one point we got to an intersection, and were just praying to get there at some point. I looked out and saw a walmart with a strip center and it seemed strangely configured like the area of FM1960 and I nearly lost it. I really thought for a second that we never moved and were still stuck in Cypress. Really surreal experience.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Luminare said:

Agreed. Even though I detest this aspect of our city, I've come to find it strangely fascinating this strange expanse of hyper-conformity + hyper-sameness. Its a really interesting radical landscape. Combine that with how flat our geography is and its really surreal. I remember one time, many years ago, my mom, sister, and I were driving to Galveston from Cypress. To avoid traffic we went via Galveston Rd. (was a terrible idea). Anyway, at one point we got to an intersection, and were just praying to get there at some point. I looked out and saw a walmart with a strip center and it seemed strangely configured like the area of FM1960 and I nearly lost it. I really thought for a second that we never moved and were still stuck in Cypress. Really surreal experience.

I wasn't talking about the conformity and chain stores so much as the used car lots, aging dilapidated strip centers, chain link fences, unmown vacant lots full of bandit signs, etc.

On 6/26/2019 at 10:02 AM, Timoric said:

It is amazing how much ugly is getting replaced all across the city - throw in some nice new parks - some transit improvements - some urban enclaves - and you won't hear it said Houston is an ugly city (Dallasites) anymore from back in the day when there were billboards everywhere, industrial, endless strip centers, and odd neighbors from no zoning

You're right. I have noticed a shift in how we look as a city since I moved here in 98. Houston is almost unrecognizable today in a great way. There's still a lot of work to do but we've come a long way. Go Houston!

• Like 8

Now on the HAIF Development Map under the layer "Proposed". This goes for everything they are planning for this site until they begin all of it or a phase 1 then I'll update this to "Under Construction". I don't classify clearing land as "Under Construction". For any updates on the status of this project. Please DM me.

Things to keep an eye on include (but not limited to):

-updated renders (will be adding pics to all projects later)
-project name changes

-changes in use or additions of uses

-changes in number of stories

-changes to Developer or additional Developers

-changes to Architect or additional Architects/Designers

-announcements or changes to construction dates / finish dates

If any of the above is missing in the project info already then please assist clarifying any missing info to me.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Luminare said:

Now on the HAIF Development Map under the layer "Proposed". This goes for everything they are planning for this site until they begin all of it or a phase 1 then I'll update this to "Under Construction". I don't classify clearing land as "Under Construction". For any updates on the status of this project. Please DM me.

Things to keep an eye on include (but not limited to):

-updated renders (will be adding pics to all projects later)
-project name changes

-changes in use or additions of uses

-changes in number of stories

-changes to Developer or additional Developers

-changes to Architect or additional Architects/Designers

-announcements or changes to construction dates / finish dates

If any of the above is missing in the project info already then please assist clarifying any missing info to me.

Where can I find the development map? 

50 minutes ago, Lyle said:

Where can I find the development map? 

I believe if you look on about the middle of page two on this thread you can see a color map of the development

Edited by bobruss
  • Like 2