Vertigo58

On 5/22/2021 at 8:30 PM, Highrise Tower said:

HAP demolition.

FEvgAt5.jpg

Noticed some paperwork still standing in one of the rooms. Thought I would give the zoom a try, see if the signs were legible.

idsqX96.jpg

hYEY7Fq.jpg

07DU3Il.jpg

Once this building is demolished what's going in its place?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like this only happens in Houston and in poor third world countries. A brand new sidewalk in front of the Lighthouse of Houston, whose primary goal is to assist blind people. A electrical light pole in the middle of the brand new sidewalk is about to be installed. WTF? Who the hell makes these dumb assed decisions?

N1GhajB.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 5

4 hours ago, hindesky said:

Seems like this only happens in Houston and in poor third world countries. A brand new sidewalk in front of the Lighthouse of Houston, whose primary goal is to assist blind people. A electrical light pole in the middle of the brand new sidewalk is about to be installed. WTF? Who the hell makes these dumb assed decisions?

N1GhajB.jpg

I assume they're going to put up a big sign saying CAUTION: LIGHT POLE in Braille. 

• Haha 9

On 6/26/2021 at 2:58 PM, hindesky said:

N1GhajB.jpg

Looks like a coordination issue. People should know this isn't intentional, but a by-product of working on large sets of drawings that change regularly, and have to be coordinated with at most 5-7 different consultants who then have to relay that info to double that number of subs. Also what people don't know is that when that info is relayed to subs often times they only get the single sheet that applies to their sub with no context to any other. Yeah what you see above is pretty bone headed, but it happens. It could be a number of issues. Sometimes backgrounds in drawings don't get updated. Some times schedules don't coordinate with one another, or it could just be a simple after thought. This will have to be redone anyway as this is clearly an ADA violation. A wheelchair needs at least 4ft of clear space at any landing (stair or ramp). Another reason you see poles all the time is that utility companies are notoriously difficult to work with. The people that work the lines are chill, but the ones running the projects not so much.

In fact to really hit home on what I said above, I kid you not I have to reissue a sheet on a project I'm working on right now because I just noticed in a foundation drawing there is a foosball table in the foundation which is actually part of the ground floor, but for some reason wanted to sit in a foundation haha. Its a miracle buildings are built at all. Its often a three ring circus in this business.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

33 minutes ago, SMU1213 said:

Hanover is burying the power in front of their development. I'd imagine that anything like the above is temporary but who knows. 

I’ve been watching them work on the infrastructure for burying utilities for a long time. It’s all there. I just wonder when it’s going to be used.