Vertigo58

• 3 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, bobruss said:

It's interesting how many developers are working on major mixed use developments.

1. Hanover Square.  Allen parkway Shepherd

2.. Regents Square Allen Parkway Dunlavy

3. Allen parkway Gillette 

4. Transwestern's The RO Buffalo Speedway\ Alabama

5. Caydon's Lane Ways Drewery Lane  Midtown 

6. Midways Buffalo Heights  Washington Ave. Montrose.

7. Midways East River Clinton Drive KBR Buffalo Bayou

8. Lovetts HTX Franklin  

9. Hardy Yard

10. Miinute Maids Mix use 

11.Skanska Mixed use near Toyota center

12.TMC3

13. Marquette's east end mixed use on Navigation

There are  more,  but my brain is taxed.

This is my bakers dozen.

I just thought that was quite a number of major mixed use developments to be going up at once.

You put all of those developments together, Houston's walk score goes up big time. 

• Like 5

Can you imagine what it will look like in twenty years when just all these along Buffalo Bayou are finished.

Almost half of them front the Bayou on one side or the other.

Just goes to show you how important and powerful, the  influence of a park can be.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

I walk my dogs past this site daily. Lots of work being done but it is not apparent. From my observation it seems they have been working on drainage, fire water and grade elevation. For a couple of days there were trucks full of dirt unloading every few minutes. It seems they are raising the elevation of the high rise site. They appear to be moving slowly but the site is HUGE. 

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Twinsanity02 said:

Going to be fun to watch which stretch gets the most high rise apartments/condos: Midtown Main Street, or Allen Parkway/Memorial Dr.  Maybe even the Hermann Park perimeter.

I think it will be competitive... both are great. Midtown is the cool urban neighborhood and Allen Parkway is the balanced lifestyle, much like the draw central park has.

The best view, by far, IMO is the top of Shepard bridge looking toward downtown along the bayou. See nature. See hills and geography. See sky-rises, both near and far. Will only get better.

• Like 8

On 12/11/2019 at 9:27 AM, Twinsanity02 said:

Going to be fun to watch which stretch gets the most high rise apartments/condos: Midtown Main Street, or Allen Parkway/Memorial Dr.  Maybe even the Hermann Park perimeter.

I think you should remember what has been happening along Montrose and Kirby also.

Montrose has added the Hanover, the Hines is going up, and the Chelsea Market site is now under construction.

Kirby has the River Oaks Hanover, and the new Thor development high rise added to its already three standing and the West Ave.

Its amazing, like I said earlier. There are so many major developments going on all inside the loop.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, bobruss said:

I think you should remember what has been happening along Montrose and Kirby also.

Montrose has added the Hanover, the Hines is going up, and the Chelsea Market site is now under construction.

Kirby has the River Oaks Hanover, and the new Thor development high rise added to its already three standing and the West Ave.

Its amazing, like I said earlier. There are so many major developments going on all inside the loop.

You're correct but my old brain goes on overload over all the construction. Sometimes it's tough to keep up with all the high rise apartments/ condos going up. Don't think anything like this ( high rise apartments) has happened in Houston before 2010.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Texasota said:

Can you imagine the outrage if Metro proposed taking away lanes on Shepherd and making them bus only? It would be truly epic.

The only other N/S street with enough existing ROW is Montrose, but that's far enough east that both would benefit from BRT/LRT. 

Shepherd is designated as a BOOST corrider.  From the MetroNext plan:

The BOOST network includes 17 of METRO’s high-ridership, frequent bus routes where speed, reliability and access improvements are designed to enhance the customer experience. Improvements could include bus stop relocation, new shelters and accessibility upgrades, transit signal priority, and real-time passenger information

I don't know if this rules out dedicated bus lanes simliar to downtown, where they are only bus only at rush hour, but it doesn't really specify.  Shepherd is 4 lanes wide some places, so turning only one lane into a bus lane wouldn't be the end of the world.  Maybe they could do that through the heights, but once you get south of Washington the bus will go slow again

• Like 4

On 12/12/2019 at 5:14 PM, thatguysly said:

I love this development and the other one as well but man traffic is going to get bad. It already backs up on Shepard during rush hour between Allen and West Gray. This area is pretty much a parking lot during peak hours.

Housing is never a question of "whether" but rather "where". If housing isn't built close to where people want to be, it will be built FAR from where people want to be, which means they have to drive farther to get there. VMT (vehicle miles traveled) per capita decreases when population density increases (and VMT per capita has been decreasing in Houston for a while now).

Also, density is upstream of transit. Transit is only successful if you have the activity density to support it.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, jsabo said:

Is there another name for this? I can't find it.

At one time it was referred as Hanover Buffalo Bayou.

From the Houston Chronicle....

Houston-based apartment developer Hanover Co. and Ziegler Cooper Architects are noted on drawings filed in a package submitted to the city requesting variances relating to intersection spacing and building lines. The plan was filed under the name "Buffalo Bayou Park."

From Emporis....

https://www.emporis.com/buildings/1425183/hanover-buffalo-bayou-houston-tx-usa

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hindesky said:

At one time it was referred as Hanover Buffalo Bayou.

From the Houston Chronicle....

Houston-based apartment developer Hanover Co. and Ziegler Cooper Architects are noted on drawings filed in a package submitted to the city requesting variances relating to intersection spacing and building lines. The plan was filed under the name "Buffalo Bayou Park."

From Emporis....

https://www.emporis.com/buildings/1425183/hanover-buffalo-bayou-houston-tx-usa

Why was this ever called Minute Maid?  Pretty far from that area...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2020/01/15/houston-nonprofit-breaks-ground-on-new-east-end.html

Hanover has closed on the first parcel of what will be a two-parcel sale. The company is scheduled to close on the second one in late 2020. Hanover plans to build a mixed-use development with residential and commercial structures on the site.

Until the second Hanover transaction closes, The Center for Pursuit will continue part of its residential program at the current location off Allen Parkway.

• Like 9