If you look at the intersection of Westheimer and Kirby, it is on the southeast side of the intersection just south of Cameron Street. The bank would be on the right and old Hard Rock on the left if you look at it head on.

Why did they build the NEW Hard Rock Cafe in Houston so SMALL compared to the old one? If they were to move downtown, couldn't they have made it so much BIGGER and more marketable? The new size is a shame

I went in there with my aunt last year, and we were pretty much the only people there. They should have placed it in the heart of downtown, in a building in stead of that center thats tucked to the side.

If you look at the intersection of Westheimer and Kirby, it is on the southeast side of the intersection just south of Cameron Street.  The bank would be on the right and old Hard Rock on the left if you look at it head on.

Is that near the old Fire+Ice Resturant? Is the old Hard Rock Cafe empty? Why are so many buildings on that street where Fire+Ice was empty?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From the Houston Chronicle:

Developer Mike Atlas of MDA Cos. will demolish an eight-story, 1960s-era office building, situated on a small lot on Kirby Dr. to make room for a glass and steel residential high-rise.

The condominium project, called 2727 Kirby at River Oaks, will have 30 stories. Its 96 units will sell at prices starting at $400 per square foot. A 1,280-square-foot condo will sell for more than $500,000.

Scott Ziegler of Ziegler Cooper Architects designed the building. Ledingham Design Consultants of Vancouver is designing interiors with 12-foot ceilings, fireplaces, floor-to-ceiling windows and balconies with outdoor kitchens.

Demolition of the office building will begin after 25 percent of the units are sold.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/business/3231183

Does anyone have a picture of what's there now?

Two points:

First, I guess it is safe to assume that 2727 Kirby is the same as the building discussed on another thread titled "new condo on Kirby?" or something along those lines?

Second, I would imagine that $400 a square foot condos constitute a pretty slim market. How can anyone buy such a place with a realistic view of earning substantial appreciation upon resale? Or...more importantly...how can people buy these places thinking there will even be a market for them upon resale???

Some people may not always look for resale value.

Also, with condoes in the Huntington going for over $1.5 million easily and on the mid levels, I don't think people have to worry about these condos loosing value.

Guest danax
Two points:

Second, I would imagine that $400 a square foot condos constitute a pretty slim market.  How can anyone buy such a place with a realistic view of earning substantial appreciation upon resale?  Or...more importantly...how can people buy these places thinking there will even be a market for them upon resale???

Check similar projects in other large cities around the country, these are cheap. This is prime land that "they ain't makin no more" so appreciation shouldn't be a big deal over time unless the economy cycles down quite a bit.

30 stories is huge! With Orion, the 7 story racket club proposed across the street, the one questionable one proposed at Alabama & Dunlavy and probably more that I don't know about, it looks like a high/mid rise residential with upscale retail district is being born.

finally that damned page parkes building will be gone...ive been in it many a times and its just as bland on the inside.  i hadnt heard of this until now so that is somewhat of a surprise...but i hope the renderings come out soon

Well the rendering has been around for quite some time.

The newest one is here http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...?showtopic=2244

http://www.model-max.com/agencies/pageparkes_building.jpg

heres some pic i found on google of it...the interior is very "concrete" literally...its like they started to renovate but then just stopped...i guess thats appealing to some but its just too cold and boring for my taste. kirby condos should be a nice addition to the area...based on the current rendering

• Like 1

Check similar projects in other large cities around the country, these are cheap. This is prime land that "they ain't makin no more" so appreciation shouldn't be a big deal over time unless the economy cycles down quite a bit.

Even if this project is cheap relative to other projects around the country (a premise I don't totally agree with), that hardly means this project is a good value or investment. The market for high end condos is a limited one in all but a very few U.S. markets---Miami, NYC, Vegas, possibly Atlanta, and so on. Clearly, Houston isn't like any of these cities.

In any event, I'm waiting for the housing bubble to burst....maybe once that happens prices will return to reasonable levels.

The housing bubble (if it exists) shows no sign of bursting. Typically a housing bubble will pop if inflation goes unchecked or the economy tumbles. The economy has been on an upswing since 9-11 and inflation has been controled by Greenspan. I believe some markets may get hit because of exhorbitant prices, but the houston market (even the luxury condo and townhome market) has not risen as much as several other markets.

My fear is the people who gotten those ridiculus interest only loans and don't know what they are in for. Unless you are going to resale for much higher before the real payment hits you, you'll get screwed. The fear is that people who don't forclose may completely curb there spending to pay for the house. Forclosures and reduced spending are bad for our economy.

There is no glut of houses in the Houston Market. Developers are quick to addapt since their inventories are quite low.

I think these highrises we able to sustain themselves in Houston. Remember, they are building these things left and right like in Miami and soon to be Las Vegas.