"At the Houstonian Estates, there are only three apartments listed, and one is going to go sale-pending this week."

Does this mean The Houstonian was "un-cancelled"?

"At the Houstonian Estates, there are only three apartments listed, and one is going to go sale-pending this week."

Does this mean The Houstonian was "un-cancelled"?

Are you asking about the Houstonian Condo Building (which currently stands, Houston19514 <_< ) or the Redstone Building that was proposed on the Houstonian Site a year ago?

BuilderGeek: from the photos, it is totally amazing how those cranes (skinny things) are so tall and don't topple. Anyone know how they are anchored to prevent high winds from blowing them to Galveston? (Yeah, I'm not too smart when it comes to this sort of thing.)

wouldn't the air flow right through the crane? it doesn't have a large surface area so i don't think that it blocks the wind

BuilderGeek: from the photos, it is totally amazing how those cranes (skinny things) are so tall and don't topple. Anyone know how they are anchored to prevent high winds from blowing them to Galveston? (Yeah, I'm not too smart when it comes to this sort of thing.)

There are occaisional crane accidents, but they aren't frequent. To my knowledge, the problems are generally the result of gross human error.

For stability, they are either physically connected to the base of the building and positioned within elevator shafts or braced to the side of the building.

Tower cranes are not connected to a building, especially the one at 2727 Kirby, since no building exists. The cranes are bolted to a massive concrete slab to keep them upright. To keep it from toppling while it is carrying a load, the crane operator must balance the load on the front boom with the concrete counterweights on the rear boom. There are on-board instruments and often computers to assist the operator in achieving and maintaining a balanced load.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/tower-crane.htm

Tower cranes are not connected to a building, especially the one at 2727 Kirby, since no building exists. The cranes are bolted to a massive concrete slab to keep them upright. To keep it from toppling while it is carrying a load, the crane operator must balance the load on the front boom with the concrete counterweights on the rear boom. There are on-board instruments and often computers to assist the operator in achieving and maintaining a balanced load.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/tower-crane.htm

If I'm not mistaken, there were tower cranes attached to the side of Memorial Hermann Medical Plaza when it was going up. I've also seen a photo taken by Ricco of a tower crane attached to the side of the Travis Garage. Granted, though, it is not as common an approach...and for new construction, they've obviously got to start somewhere.

If I'm not mistaken, there were tower cranes attached to the side of Memorial Hermann Medical Plaza when it was going up. I've also seen a photo taken by Ricco of a tower crane attached to the side of the Travis Garage. Granted, though, it is not as common an approach...and for new construction, they've obviously got to start somewhere.

These would be known as "wall cranes", since they derive their stability from the wall to which they are secured. They are very common in renovations, as are exterior mounted elevators.

These would be known as "wall cranes", since they derive their stability from the wall to which they are secured. They are very common in renovations, as are exterior mounted elevators.

Well I've heard them referred to as tower cranes, but will defer to you, as you probably have the superior source.

Thanks for the link RedScare. I realize I am not cut out to be a crane operator. I'll remain in awe of people who do that job. :mellow:

My father was a crane operator, and used to discuss his job at length. Yes, wind is definitely a factor; although the structure appears rather spidery there's still enough surface area to impact the operation of the crane. Even more problematic are the items being lifted. A good gust of wind can get tons of steel and concrete going in unexpected and dangerous directions.

He hated operating tower cranes, both because of the heights and because of their lack of stability. When rotating the crane, a huge amount of torsion is created, which causes the support structure to flex, then snap back into place. Even a small amount of displacement is magnified at the end of a hundred foot boom, and when there's great amounts of money (and human lives) at stake, precision is vital.

I believe self-constructing cranes built within the building's core or elevator shaft is known as a kangaroo crane (because the technology was originally used in Australia).

• 4 weeks later...

I pass by the site a couple of times a week. I regret to report that no discernible construction is taking place (at least around 5:30 in full daylight). What could possibly be the cause of the delay? It's almost like they just made a pile of dirt, took all construction equipment off the site except for a crane that they move once per day to make it look like something's going on. Anyone have any info???

I pass by the site a couple of times a week. I regret to report that no discernible construction is taking place (at least around 5:30 in full daylight). What could possibly be the cause of the delay? It's almost like they just made a pile of dirt, took all construction equipment off the site except for a crane that they move once per day to make it look like something's going on. Anyone have any info???

Is this another project that died before breaking ground? There have been so many of those...

UH OH!

unfortunately, i cannot and will not elaborate.

because of events that have unfolded in the past week, it doesn't look too good.

in theory, it can/will move forward. having said that, there is a heartbeat but it's fading.

i know im talking out of the both sides of my mouth but it is what it is.

and now i return to my self-imposed sabbatical.

:ph34r:

UH OH!

unfortunately, i cannot and will not elaborate.

because of events that have unfolded in the past week, it doesn't look too good.

in theory, it can/will move forward. having said that, there is a heartbeat but it's fading.

i know im talking out of the both sides of my mouth but it is what it is.

and now i return to my self-imposed sabbatical.

:ph34r:

curse you, houston-development.........curse you!!!!! ;) you know how these tidbits get us all worked up.

This is one weird deal! It reeks of another 'developer' not knowing what they're doing. Fraudulent credit transaction leading to lender pulling funding? Something's up. I predict the crane will be coming down within the month and this thing will be done. Or, perhaps I'm just being pessimistic. Can someone enlighten us???

With the sub prime and 2nd lien market in chaos, the market is poised for a very tough year. In the past 2 months, 41 lenders have either filed for bankruptcy or closed their doors. The most recent lender is Loan City which closed yesterday. Large scale projects like 2727 are going to find it tough to find prospective buyers to purchase units. Even borrowers with decent credit (660+) are finding money hard to find. The easy money days of lending are over.