I tend to think that you're right and that it will probably end up getting built, but your post begs the question:

How do we know that you don't have an agenda? :huh:

My post does not beg a question -- you mean it raises a question. And the answer is, obviously, you don't. So drive by (something I do twice a day) and report back on the amount of rebar formed on site this week and your estimate on the number of tons of rebar staged. Then come back and question my agenda again.

My post does not beg a question -- you mean it raises a question. And the answer is, obviously, you don't. So drive by (something I do twice a day) and report back on the amount of rebar formed on site this week and your estimate on the number of tons of rebar staged. Then come back and question my agenda again.

Good answer...You need to understand some on this forum are the most negative and pesimistic individuals. It took me a few times on this board to learn this, ignore it, and not let the negativity bother me...

Well, like I said, I tend to agree with you on the basis of personal observation. But you mentioned people having an agenda, and forgive me, but I hesitate to trust people who use their very first post on HAIF to make such an accusatory statement. It is also curious that you use the language "the amount of rebar formed on site this week and your estimate on the number of tons of rebar staged". Most folks on the forum just aren't quite as comfortable with construction terminology as you are.

Nothing personal, but I'd rather that there be a general atmosphere of caution, uncertainty, and mistrust on this forum than than blindly-accepted information...especially when there are still a few red flags flying on a subject. Certain uncertainty is good.

Well, like I said, I tend to agree with you on the basis of personal observation. But you mentioned people having an agenda, and forgive me, but I hesitate to trust people who use their very first post on HAIF to make such an accusatory statement. It is also curious that you use the language "the amount of rebar formed on site this week and your estimate on the number of tons of rebar staged". Most folks on the forum just aren't quite as comfortable with construction terminology as you are.

Nothing personal, but I'd rather that there be a general atmosphere of caution, uncertainty, and mistrust on this forum than than blindly-accepted information...especially when there are still a few red flags flying on a subject. Certain uncertainty is good.

So, you agree with me on the basis of your personal observation ("I tend to agree with you on the basis of personal observation"); but you mistrust what you read on this forum (an implied recognition that many here do have agendas); therefore, you mistrust what I write despite the fact that we agree. Ouch! My head hurts. Now I need a drink.

I just posted about what I see every day (try getting around the trucks on Argonne in the mornings). I reread my post and don't see anything curious about my language. Rebar. Site. Stage. Ton. Estimate. Pretty common stuff.

Don't deny what your eyes tells you just because we agree!

Edited by HiRiseObserver

So, you agree with me on the basis of your personal observation ("I tend to agree with you on the basis of personal observation"); but you mistrust what you read on this forum (an implied recognition that many here do have agendas); therefore, you mistrust what I write despite the fact that we agree. Ouch! My head hurts. Now I need a drink.

I just posted about what I see every day (try getting around the trucks on Argonne in the mornings). I reread my post and don't see anything curious about my language. Rebar. Site. Stage. Ton. Estimate. Pretty common stuff.

Don't deny what your eyes tells you just because we agree!

I tend to agree with your conclusion, but "tend" indicates uncertainty. I will nurture the seed of doubt and shed light from mulitple angles upon any sprout that may rise.

Btw, I never denied that people on this forum have personal agendas. I rightfully earned the rank of Partisan! ^_^

:lol: Brace yourself, there's plenty more where that came from...

Welcome to HAIF, and thanks for the updates on this project.

I'm one of the optimists who think this will happen. However, I also felt that way about the Orion off of Memorial and the Bayou. Have you seen how far they got? They excavated the hole and even began to put up the vertical supports of the building.

I'm one of the optimists who think this will happen. However, I also felt that way about the Orion off of Memorial and the Bayou. Have you seen how far they got? They excavated the hole and even began to put up the vertical supports of the building.

I am optimistic that 2727 will happen. But when some entity spends money to excavate, put up a crane etc., don't they lose that money with nothing to show. Kind of like Las Vegas most of the time?

I am optimistic that 2727 will happen. But when some entity spends money to excavate, put up a crane etc., don't they lose that money with nothing to show. Kind of like Las Vegas most of the time?

I drove by today, April 12th, around 3 p.m. The crane was swinging around and there were guys in the hole with welding masks on -- looked like they had placed a bunch of rebar in the footprint for a concrete pour. I'm not a contractor or an architect, but it looked to me like they are starting to build something there.

I drove by today, April 12th, around 3 p.m. The crane was swinging around and there were guys in the hole with welding masks on -- looked like they had placed a bunch of rebar in the footprint for a concrete pour. I'm not a contractor or an architect, but it looked to me like they are starting to build something there.

Don't believe your eyes. There are people on this board SO much smarter than us who will tell you the steel, crane, workers etc are an illusion.

Fast forward 12 months...

"I drove by today and saw them installing glass panels and a kitchen sink to a 'penthouse' of sorts...I'm not an architect or anything, but this looks like a good sign that this project just might happen"

:lol:

Fast forward 12 months, 3 hours

The EXPERTS will reply, "Yes, I too am hopeful that this project will get built, but a good measure of skepticism is appropriate on this forum." :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
the article claims that this if the "first" residential high rise tower to be developed inside the loop in two decades. what about the royalton, 3333 allen parkway? or, mosaic?

3333 allen parkway was built as a rental building and was converted.

i believe 2727 kirby technically predates mosaic in that i think kirby presales started before mosaic's, even though mosaic broke ground first. the first kirby sales were in the fall of 2005.

3333 allen parkway was built as a rental building and was converted.

i believe 2727 kirby technically predates mosaic in that i think kirby presales started before mosaic's, even though mosaic broke ground first. the first kirby sales were in the fall of 2005.

Rental.. condos... it's all residential. Anyways... this is going to be one nice building! :D

You know, I like skyscrapers and high-rises, but I just think all of the new high rise residential in Houston is just completely overpriced. In particular Mosaic. I understand the appeal and the views, etc., but it's hard for me to justify it as economical... price per sf. is just killer. And condos you have to factor in the maintenance fee -- for life. At least for the foreseeable future I'm priced out of anything like that.

I think midrises and well designed townhomes are great, though, and much more affordable. You don't loose too much density, really. the high rises are so skinny and have low FAR's per floor. I'd rather see European style blankets of 6 story buildings... build enough of them so that the construction talent is local and stays, bringing down costs even more. I like what I see with the current "mixed use" development plans -- the renderings for Regent Square, BLVD place, the other one on the old Ford Dealership, etc. I imagine most of Houston's arterial streets steetwalled with those some time in the future.

Who knows... high rises might get slaughtered by changes in the economy. High interest, higher raw materials prices, higher fuel costs, etc. A midrise with the same average density can be built much faster and more cheaply. I think once gas starts to peak and the ____ really hits the fan, it'll be the triumph of the midrise. Land prices in Houston really only support high rises as 'statements.' If you actually want to build housing for actual people.. midrise all the way.

/end rambling.

2727 is fantastically expensive anyway. and I think it's hideous.

Edited by woolie