I would prefer that they renovate the low-rise modernist building that already occupies this tract and raze the old hard rock for amenities.

That said, it is certainly one of the nicer designs of the current high-rise building boom. Still begs the question: Who the heck is buying all of these $$$ condos?

• Like 1

I don't think they are fully demolishing the Paige-Parks building.  The garage in the rendering are the same as the existing structure with a new facade.

I believe that parking garage belongs to the bank.

also i noticed the rendering shows westheimer way to close; needs to be further out because hard rock is not included.

The street off Kirby by the bank is Cameron St. I used to live in the Oak Lane Apartments behind the Page Parkes Building.

It appears that the new condo tower will remodel and possible structurally reinforce if needed the existing building and build up from there.

The street off Kirby by the bank is Cameron St.  I used to live in the Oak Lane Apartments behind the Page Parkes Building.

It appears that the new condo tower will remodel and possible structurally reinforce if needed the existing building and build up from there.

i must have forgotten there was a street in between the bank and hard rock.

did you know atlas was also converting oak lane into condos?

Yes,

After my first year lease was up and it was ready to sign, they didn't raise any rates and said that I can remain there until the had to renovate the complex. I stayed there for a little over six months until my house was finshed.

They didn't care much about any superficial damage to the unit since they are being gutted anyway. The small section of the complex is being remodeled currently and not residents are left. The residents in the larger portion are slowing moving out. Some are being allowed to stay if they are buying a unit. They will either buy another unit from which they are living or will be temporarily moved and then get their original one. Many residents in the complex have been living there for over 7 years. It was quiet place with many greenspaces for dogs.

My only objection for the condo conversion is that the units aren't a particularly good investment unless you are subletting the unit out and making money on the rents. Outside of that, I don't see much appreciation of the unit values. It may turn out like the Renaisance at Welch and Shepherd. They really seem that the units can't get sold.

My only objection for the condo conversion is that the units aren't a particularly good investment unless you are subletting the unit out and making money on the rents. Outside of that, I don't see much appreciation of the unit values. It may turn out like the Renaisance at Welch and Shepherd. They really seem that the units can't get sold.

The last time I drove by the Renaisance, the sign said 1 unit left !!

yeah, but they had offer incentives like no payments until 2006 and no closing costs. Signs with these offers were on there for the past 2 years. I'm glad to see the place filling up, but they had to go through some extremes to get there.

I really like the design. Hopefully we are done with the whole beige cookie-cutter designs for a while.

Anyway, in the opinions of some that may be a little bit more "in the know" about certain things in our fair city, *cough* Houston-development *cough*, what are the chances this project is actually going to happen? No facts needed, just your opinion on whether this will stay in the proposal mode or actually move forward?

I may not be houston-development, but I do know some realty firms were bidding to win the contract to market and sell the condos for this tower and the one planned across the street to be placed on those tennis courts.

I know Allison-Speare was making a play for this one. I think Karen Derr was also. I don't remember if it was awarded.

Thanks kjb434, the call was really out for everyone :).

Anyway, thanks for the response, it at least keeps my hope alive that this will actually be built.

By the way, the condos across the street on the tennis court you mentioned, are not going to be tall correct? Won't they be more of the typical 3-4 story apartment homes that have been going up over the past decade?

originally, there were going to be two deals on the tennis courts. one track was under contract for sale to hanover for a rental high-rise. the other was a 99-year lease to gables for a rental mid-rise. in order for hanover to make their numbers work based upon a HUGE land price, they were going to have numerous upcharges for premium views. everything was going well until gables came back and said they too were going to build a high-rise which would block a majority of hanovers views. this killed hanovers deal and they dropped the contract about 3 or 4 months ago.

i am not aware if gables will end up leasing the entire site or if part of it will be sold. i'm assuming that it will all be leased, but i could be mistaken.

regardless, the deal going up on the tennis courts is being built by an apartment developer and intended for apartments. if a condo converter comes to them on a pre-sale or if gables decides to convert themsleves, then its a different story. but as of a couple of weeks ago (or at least last i heard) it will be apartments.

ooops, edited to add, sorry, i missed velvet's original post. while i appreciate the *coughs*, they are not needed. more than happy to enlighten others when i can.

in regards to the kirby condos, i would give it better than a 50/50 chance. atlas has dropped a pretty sum in the deal and is currently negotiating with the existing tennants. i would say kirby is more realistic than shamrock; however, that's not saying too much ;) as i said earlier, he is moving forward on oak lane which he did as a jv (regardless of what he says to others). so he is getting more experience and a presence within the immediate vicinity.

The roundish building on the right is the old Hard Rock Cafe. It now has a sign that says Fire/Ice, but that place is closed too. It's neat building.

The building on the left is an existing bank building. Really cool looking building also. Another thing many people don't notice is that those tree tops aren't that far off from what the city actually looks like from that far up. You would be surprised forested Houston looks. I guess its from all of the non-dense development.