Pancho's/Emiliano's/Spanish Galleon Restaurants

Back in 1981, I worked for a brief time in Houston for Pancho's Mexican Buffet. They were part of a company called Pamex foods. Their two other restaurants were called Emiliano's and Spanish Galleon. Are any of these places still around Houston?

I am pretty sure all but one Pancho's remains, it's over on I-45.

• 1 year later...

In 1981 Pancho's Mexican Buffet opened in Beaumont. I remember going to one in Houston and to one in Pasadena way back then. I think that it was up on IH-45 (North Freeway) around Tidwell Road (someone out there will tell me if my memory is correct or not). My uncle told me that he went to one in Bellaire.

Pancho's was part of a chain that also included Emiliano's and Spanish Galleon Mexican Restaurants. Are any Pancho's still in Houston? Have there ever been any Emiliano's and Spanish Galleon's?

In 1981 Pancho's Mexican Buffet opened in Beaumont. I remember going to one in Houston and to one in Pasadena way back then. I think that it was up on IH-45 (North Freeway) around Tidwell Road (someone out there will tell me if my memory is correct or not). My uncle told me that he went to one in Bellaire.

Pancho's was part of a chain that also included Emiliano's and Spanish Galleon Mexican Restaurants. Are any Pancho's still in Houston? Have there ever been any Emiliano's and Spanish Galleon's?

I remember in SA there was a Spanish Galleon's with the shape of a big boat, then it closed and become a pancho's.

According to their websites- their locations in Houston.

Houston

10900-A FM 1960 West

281-890-2285

Houston

11560 Gulf Freeway

713-946-4600

Houston

5442 North Freeway

713-697-2713

http://www.panchosmexicanbuffet.com/

I can only eat there right when they open, because that's when it's fresh, and not been sitting out. Their headquarter's isn't too far from my house, but I had no idea that they've been in business for so long. I absolutely love their flautas. For a cheap, hot meal, you can't beat Pancho's, unless it's the $1 menu at Mickey D's. :rolleyes:

I remember in SA there was a Spanish Galleon's with the shape of a big boat, then it closed and become a pancho's.

Houston

10900-A FM 1960 West

281-890-2285

Houston

11560 Gulf Freeway

713-946-4600

Houston

5442 North Freeway

713-697-2713

Wasn't/isn't there one on Stella Link as well?

Houston

10900-A FM 1960 West

281-890-2285

Houston

11560 Gulf Freeway

713-946-4600

Houston

5442 North Freeway

713-697-2713

The last one you listed must have been the one that I went to 26 years ago.

http://www.panchosmexicanbuffet.com/

I can only eat there right when they open, because that's when it's fresh, and not been sitting out. Their headquarter's isn't too far from my house, but I had no idea that they've been in business for so long. I absolutely love their flautas. For a cheap, hot meal, you can't beat Pancho's, unless it's the $1 menu at Mickey D's. :rolleyes:

The website you posted doesn't show one here in Beaumont. Maybe it closed and I didn't notice it. It was on 11th Street just up from the Monterey House. I don't go down that street much anymore.

I remember going to one in Houston and to one in Pasadena way back then.

We used to to the Pasadena Pancho's often (when i was a kid).

It was in the old Pasadena Mall at Spencer and Shaver.

They had HUGE circular multi-colored booths and a conveyer belt for dirty dishes (like some Wyatts - but i may be confusing my memory). There were also some booths that had "windows" that opened onto a small "alley" (it was inside the mall - down the side of the restaurant). There was a barber shop down the alley that you could see from your seat. I remember that probably because I thought the electric barber pole was cool.

Pancho's started in the 60's. My mother in law said she started taking her son to the Almeda Mall area location when he was a baby

in the early 70s... The guy is 38 now and the same lady still works there as a waitress. I used to go to the Pasadena Plaza location a lot as a kid. I loved that place! I know it is not REAL mexican food, but I usually go once every year or so. Raise the flag! :D

Pancho's started in the 60's. My mother in law said she started taking her son to the Almeda Mall area location when he was a baby

in the early 70s... The guy is 38 now and the same lady still works there as a waitress. I used to go to the Pasadena Plaza location a lot as a kid. I loved that place! I know it is not REAL mexican food, but I usually go once every year or so. Raise the flag! :D

That's what I've always wondered. In Old Mexico, do they actually make and eat tacos, burritos, enchiladas, tostadas, etc.?

That's what I've always wondered. In Old Mexico, do they actually make and eat tacos, burritos, enchiladas, tostadas, etc.?

Yes, but they're not the same as here. Lot's of corn tortillas in Mexico. Few, if any flour tortillas. And the crispy shell taco or tostada is almost nowhere to be found.

I went to one restaurant where I ordered a taco and my friend ordered a burrito and the ONLY difference between what we got was the way the corn tortilla was folded. My taco was rolled like a common soft-shell taco (but no lettuce, tomato or cheese, just meat and chilies) and my friend's burrito was the same thing, save it was folded and tucked in on each end. That was it. If if you unfolded my taco and his burrito and laid them flat side by side (which we did), there was zero difference.

Yes, but they're not the same as here. Lot's of corn tortillas in Mexico. Few, if any flour tortillas. And the crispy shell taco or tostada is almost nowhere to be found.

I went to one restaurant where I ordered a taco and my friend ordered a burrito and the ONLY difference between what we got was the way the corn tortilla was folded. My taco was rolled like a common soft-shell taco (but no lettuce, tomato or cheese, just meat and chilies) and my friend's burrito was the same thing, save it was folded and tucked in on each end. That was it. If if you unfolded my taco and his burrito and laid them flat side by side (which we did), there was zero difference.

Ummm hum...and chile con queso is totally gringo...

Like you say, the flour tortillas are almost no where to be found in Mexico.

They cater to us gringas y gringos here.

I love Mexican Food/Tex-Mex, whatever. Love it!!

The last one you listed must have been the one that I went to 26 years ago.

The website you posted doesn't show one here in Beaumont. Maybe it closed and I didn't notice it. It was on 11th Street just up from the Monterey House. I don't go down that street much anymore.

The one in Beaumont Closed sometime in '02 or '03. No reason given. It was open one week and closed the next. It was one of our favorite places to go and eat and was always packed. It was a real surprise when it closed.

We used to go there all the time when I was really little (we lived in SA). I would have to say it was in the 70s. Do any of y'all know if they still have the Panchos glasses filled with the red and green jello ? At one point I had a fine set of 6 when I lived in Denton while at TWU. (They had a location in Lewisville and I needed glasses for entertaining) ^_^

My friends father is from Mexico and when he ate there he always raised the flag. Well of course the waitress would come over to see what he wanted. When he didnt want anything she would lower the flag.. and Mr. Valdes would raise the flag again. This went on about 3 times until one of his kids explained to the waitress that he thought the flag should be raised all the time and it made him sad to see it down. The waitress smiled at him and left his flag raised. Everyone was happy.

I know there's a Pancho's still there by Almeda Mall.

LORD do not even compare that mess to real Mexican food lol. I used to go when in elementary they would give us eat free coupon rewards. A couple years ago my mom and I decided to go just on a whim. Yuck. It was like eating cardboard, and the watery cheese smelled like vomit. None of the food has any real flavor.

Anyway when it comes to real Mexican food, there are so may different kinds, since there are so many different regions through out the country. Also just as the same foods differ from house to house within the Hispanic community... as any other category of food within any different cultures.

Who didn't love raising the little flag though :P

Happy eating :lol:

There used to be a Panchos in Bellaire on Bissonnet (in the center where CiCi's pizza is). It was a great place for Tex-Mex.

Pancho's in Bellaire was located next to Chapman's Young World at 5317 Bissonnet. It was in the corner of the center, on the first floor of the two story portion of the building. About 1970, a friend of mine ate at Pancho's and almost died from the encephalitis he contracted from the horse meat they served. The entire chain was closed down for months but eventually reopened. I am surprised Pancho's survived that event and is still in business.

Amegy Bank now owns that center. They have lost almost all their tenants including CiCi's Pizza. Amegy also demolished the landmark modern bank that stood in front of the center and replaced it with a generic box designed by the Kirksey architecture firm.

. . . from the horse meat they served. The entire chain was closed down for months but eventually reopened. I am surprised Pancho's survived that event and is still in business.
That's just not true. There were stories about them serving horsemeat, an investigation was done, and Pancho's was totally exonerated. They even had a copy of the health report posted in the restaurants stating that. They weren't "closed down for months", either.

It's comments like this that perpetuate the myth about Pancho's.

Pancho's in Bellaire was located next to Chapman's Young World at 5317 Bissonnet. It was in the corner of the center, on the first floor of the two story portion of the building. About 1970, a friend of mine ate at Pancho's and almost died from the encephalitis he contracted from the horse meat they served. The entire chain was closed down for months but eventually reopened. I am surprised Pancho's survived that event and is still in business.

But it was really GOOD horse meat!
That's just what I said when the story broke - that if it was horsemeat, it was the best horsemeat I ever had. Their green chili stew was my favorite item there. I now make my own, and it is close to Pancho's, and I think even better. Mine is more spicier!

That's just what I said when the story broke - that if it was horsemeat, it was the best horsemeat I ever had. Their green chili stew was my favorite item there. I now make my own, and it is close to Pancho's, and I think even better. Mine is more spicier!

I got that green stew (and the red) last time I went to Panchos. Quite good. My wife makes something similar to the red. When I was a kid, all I ever really ate there were tacos (which I loved) and sopapillas. Shoot, look what I was missing.

Another poster earlier deried Panchos as not being real Mexican food. I won't dispute that. And he also deirided it as not being good food. Well, to each his own. It sure ain't Hugos... it's along the lines of Taco Bell. But I've always enjoyed going there, and that's all that really counted.

Amegy Bank now owns that center. They have lost almost all their tenants including CiCi's Pizza. Amegy also demolished the landmark modern bank that stood in front of the center and replaced it with a generic box designed by the Kirksey architecture firm.

that was awful...way to go amegy/southwest bank of texas :(

http://www.houstonmod.org/buildings.aspx?sub=mnm&id=15

as far as Pancho's - i have only eaten there once many years ago, and i don't remember ANYthing about the food

Archived