Movie Recommendations

Subdude

Aldomovar is great. I think not all his movies are available in the US.

I'm not sure I would consider "Babel" as must-see. It was OK, but nowhere near as good as Amores Perros. It really had to stretch to tie the stories together.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Recently, we've also been catching up on some classics (mostly Aldomovar) and other foreign fare.

Pedro Aldomovar is the shizzznit!!!

i'm a foreign, indy film buff. i'm always hitting up the greenway theatre.

anyway movies u must see that are good are:

Volver (i never cared for penelope cruz, never thought she was anything to look at but she works alot w/ almodovar and now i think she's cute ;)

Bad Education also called la mala educacion -Gael Garcia Bernal is a good actor

Live Flesh

other movies that are good

Y tu mama tambien

amores perros

central station (it's a brazilian movie)

the movie frida was pretty good

for asian films i would recommend

to live

farewell my concubine

oh and i can't forge to add Malena. i'm in love with Monica Bellucci in that move she is soo HOTT!!!!!!!!!!

she was also in another move called irreversible, that movie is not for the all as there is a hard to watch scene in that movie, but the writing of the film is pimp!!

enjoy and good to see there are others here that enjoy a good movie B)

let's not forget almodovar's "law of desire" with a young antonio banderas and "tie me up, tie me down".

other latin films i've enjoyed are "jamon, jamon", "belle epoque" and "like water for chocolate".

just in case i haven't already, i must express my affection for the following:

amelie

city of lost children

delicatessen

pillow book

eat, drink, man, woman

au revoir, les enfants

indochine

europa, europa

three colors: red

three colors: blue

three colors: white

oh and don't forget the movie

"all about my mother" "todo sobre mi madre" another almodovar moive, i rated that a 4 out of 5, but i'd still recommend it

another i just remember is "before night falls" about the cuban poet reinaldo arenas.

and this one is off from the foreign genre, but one of my absolute favs

JACKIE BROWN!! i'm a quentin terantino fan :) i also enjoyed both kill bill's. uma on that motorcycle was absolute B)

and for laughs i'd recommend Soul Plane. i know it looks stupid, which is exactly what i thought but it's funny!!

let's not forget almodovar's "law of desire" with a young antonio banderas and "tie me up, tie me down".

other latin films i've enjoyed are "jamon, jamon", "belle epoque" and "like water for chocolate".

No mention of Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown? What! A light hearted comedy.

I heard like "water for coco and Belle epoque" were great too.

Cinema Paradiso is choice when it comes to Italiano cinema!

Arrivederci aad un'altra volta

(So long see you again)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinema_Paradiso

Amelie and Like Water for Chocolate were great. In fact, we just re-rented LWFC. Not to spoil anything for the uninitiated, but I loved the scene where the sister catches the things on fire and runs off ...

Hilarious!

But while we are on Mexican movies, we can't forget Frida and Talk To Her. Excellent movies.

Pedro Aldomovar is the shizzznit!!!

i'm a foreign, indy film buff. i'm always hitting up the greenway theatre.

anyway movies u must see that are good are:

Volver (i never cared for penelope cruz, never thought she was anything to look at but she works alot w/ almodovar and now i think she's cute ;)

Bad Education also called la mala educacion -Gael Garcia Bernal is a good actor

Live Flesh

other movies that are good

Y tu mama tambien

amores perros

central station (it's a brazilian movie)

the movie frida was pretty good

for asian films i would recommend

to live

farewell my concubine

oh and i can't forge to add Malena. i'm in love with Monica Bellucci in that move she is soo HOTT!!!!!!!!!!

she was also in another move called irreversible, that movie is not for the all as there is a hard to watch scene in that movie, but the writing of the film is pimp!!

enjoy and good to see there are others here that enjoy a good movie B)

I am gonna second you on most of those although I thought Amores Perros was a lot better than Y Tu Mama Tambien.

Amelie and Like Water for Chocolate were great. In fact, we just re-rented LWFC. Not to spoil anything for the uninitiated, but I loved the scene where the sister catches the things on fire and runs off ...

Hilarious!

But while we are on Mexican movies, we can't forget Frida and Talk To Her. Excellent movies.

Just to clarify, we cant assume that if a film has a Spanish title its of Mexican origin. Correct me if I'm mistaken but Pedro Almodovar is from Spain. Like night and day difference.

The titles I mentioned above are Italian films. Not bustin ya chops. :)

Just want to be PC. Peace!

By the way Greenway Plaza is one of the only places I know that still show foreign films like TxArch said and sometimes Angelika Theater right?

No mention of Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown?

actually i have that in my que on netflix along with his other movie "what have i done to deserve this" :)

i must be the only one who didn't like amelie :( for me that movie was too slow, didn't keep my attetion. i also saw sex and lucia and my date enjoyed it, but i was bored with that movie too.

notes on a scandal was ok too.

has anyone seen pan's labyrinth?? ppl told me they really like it. it's directed by the same guy who did teh devils backbone/el espinazo del diablo, Guillermo del Toro, but i didn't like the devils backbone so i'm hesitant to see pans lab.

regarding pedro almovadar he's spanish i believe he's from Calzada de Calatrava, Spain

My list of Must See movies:

Thomas Crown Affair (Brosnan version, not McQueen version).

Oceans 11 (both versions)

Boiler Room

Layer Cake (MUST SEE)

A Good Year

40 Year Old Virgin

the Cube

Secret of my Success

Hooligans (Green Street Hooligans in the states I believe)

Pretty Woman

Queen of the Damned

Dawn of the Dead (new one)

i must be the only one who didn't like amelie :( for me that movie was too slow, didn't keep my attetion.

has anyone seen pan's labyrinth?? ppl told me they really like it. it's directed by the same guy who did teh devils backbone/el espinazo del diablo, Guillermo del Toro, but i didn't like the devils backbone so i'm hesitant to see pans lab.

regarding pedro almovadar he's spanish i believe he's from Calzada de Calatrava, Spain

You are not alone. I am also a member of the "Really Didn't like 'Amelie' Club." A little too sweet and charming for my taste.

I saw Pan's Labyrinth a while back. I liked Devil's Backbone more, but Pan's Labyrinth is very intense and moving.

Also just saw "Once" (now playing at Landmark River Oaks). This is a low-budget Irish movie about a street musician's relationship with a Czech immigrant. It got great reviews, but the music was a bit grating at times. It's not bad, but it is different.

Sicko.

Even Fox News gives a rave review:

Filmmaker Michael Moore's brilliant and uplifting new documentary, "Sicko," deals with the failings of the U.S. healthcare system, both real and perceived. But this time around, the controversial documentarian seems to be letting the subject matter do the talking, and in the process shows a new maturity.

Unlike many of his previous films ("Roger and Me," "Bowling for Columbine," "Fahrenheit 9-11"), "Sicko" works because in this one there are no confrontations. Moore smartly lets very articulate average Americans tell their personal horror stories at the hands of insurance companies. The film never talks down or baits the audience.

Opening June 29th

Sicko.

Even Fox News gives a rave review:

Filmmaker Michael Moore's brilliant and uplifting new documentary, "Sicko," deals with the failings of the U.S. healthcare system, both real and perceived. But this time around, the controversial documentarian seems to be letting the subject matter do the talking, and in the process shows a new maturity.

Unlike many of his previous films ("Roger and Me," "Bowling for Columbine," "Fahrenheit 9-11"), "Sicko" works because in this one there are no confrontations. Moore smartly lets very articulate average Americans tell their personal horror stories at the hands of insurance companies. The film never talks down or baits the audience.

Opening June 29th

Michael Moore has an established history of slander, using quotes and clips out of context and flat out lying in his movies. It saddens me every time an American gets sucked in to his pocket book. Anyone who thinks he makes these polarizing movies for any other reason than to make money is mistaken.

Does anyone else see the irony of a very large man making a documentary about the problems with the U.S. health care system? Isn't one of the biggest problems today obesity taxing that system so greatly?

michael moore is aware of this irony. on oprah recently, he explained that he is taking steps to address his own health issues.

i get the feeling that moore was one of those kids in the school yard who, with hands placed on hips, often shouted "i'm telling on you!". he seems to get great joy from creating negative stories. IMO, he doesn't come across as sincere.

Does anyone else see the irony of a very large man making a documentary about the problems with the U.S. health care system? Isn't one of the biggest problems today obesity taxing that system so greatly?

Obesity doesn't tax the system like you are lead to believe primarily because it is not something that is broadly covered by health insurance and such. Certainly there are conditions such as diabetes and heart problems that do place a load on the system, but these are not exclusively caused by obesity and in most cases obesity isn't the main cause (it is simply one of many contributing factors that if removed doesn't necessarily mean the problem wont occur).

Surgeries like gastric bypass and lap-band aren't broadly covered by insurance and are not covered at all by state sponsored health care initiatives. Some people are lucky and get their insurance to pay for it, but these are the minority.

michael moore is aware of this irony. on oprah recently, he explained that he is taking steps to address his own health issues.

i get the feeling that moore was one of those kids in the school yard who, with hands placed on hips, often shouted "i'm telling on you!". he seems to get great joy from creating negative stories. IMO, he doesn't come across as sincere.

That would be because he ISN'T sincere. He is someone who thrives on negativity and enjoys profiting from it. He is not a unifier, he is a divider and he does it for the most disgusting reasons. Ego and money. And he lies to do it.

The only movie that I am dying to see right now, and I wouldn't specifically use 'dying' as the feeling, is Evan Almighty. It looks like it's going to be funny.

I saw it on Friday night and laughed throughout the whole film. Definitely worth seeing.

Last week I went to the Angelika to see The Wendell Baker Story. It's not showing anymore, but I really enjoyed it as well. I don't know if it's going to play elsewhere, but if you can find it, see it.

The only movie that I am dying to see right now, and I wouldn't specifically use 'dying' as the feeling, is Evan Almighty. It looks like it's going to be funny.

I saw it last night. I'm not a huge Steve Carell fan, but he is really is funny. I am a huge Morgan Freeman fan, and he is marvelous. The story line is great. The whole family should go.

i saw SiCKO saturday evening -

no matter one's personal feelings toward Michael Moore, the movie was on the mark about our horrible healthcare in the states

it either reconfirms what you already know, but with horrifying visual accompaniment, or lets you know just how bad it really is

anyone else see it? thoughts?

knowing people in the insurance and medical fields, it was really depressing to have what Moore presented confirmed

I checked out from the library a movie starring Julienne Moore entitled "The Forgotten." I didn't understand one bit of it. If anyone on this forum has seen it, could he/she tell me if they understood any of it?

I checked out from the library a movie starring Julienne Moore entitled "The Forgotten." I didn't understand one bit of it. If anyone on this forum has seen it, could he/she tell me if they understood any of it?

SPOILER (Don't read any further if you don't want to know):

Basically she loses her child (from an alien abduction) but the government and aliens are trying to erase her memory of it --seems like several (lots?) of people are being abducted too. At the end the aliens hear them talking about it, and their plans, and suck several people up into space.

It was weird and corny and I like just about anything with JM, aliens, and scifi. Thought it would be a no-brainer combination, but it just came across as flakey.

It was weird and corny and I like just about anything with JM, aliens, and scifi. Thought it would be a no-brainer combination, but it just came across as flakey.

kind of like that movie 'signs' that movie sucked!!!! although when the alien appeared it gave us a good laugh in the theatre....

kind of like that movie 'signs' that movie sucked!!!! although when the alien appeared it gave us a good laugh in the theatre....

the movie "signs" wasn't about aliens. IMO, the following quote is what the movie is about:

"People break down into two groups when they experience something lucky. Group number one sees it as more than luck, more than coincidence. They see it as a sign, evidence, that there is someone up there, watching out for them. Group number two sees it as just pure luck. Just a happy turn of chance. I'm sure the people in Group number two are looking at those fourteen lights in a very suspicious way. For them, the situation isn't fifty-fifty. Could be bad, could be good. But deep down, they feel that whatever happens, they're on their own. And that fills them with fear."

"Is it possible that there are no coincidences?"

"When they (the first group) see those fourteen lights, they're looking at a miracle. And deep down, they feel that whatever's going to happen, there will be someone there to help them. And that fills them with hope."

"See, what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky?"

i like this director, m. night shyamalan (sp?). he directed "the sixth sense" and "unbreakable" and "the village". all of his movies have spiritual subtext illuminating different perceptions of reality. great fun.

Archived