Dallas Victory Project VS Houston Pavilions  

117 members have voted

1. 1. which will be hotter

• Dallas Victory
    • Houston Pavilions

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can't help but notice that very hopeful and beautiful background of a never gonna happen Trinity River Project.

Yeah, I was going to point out how over-hyped the TRP is in the background. At the present time, a lot of that area, immediately west of Reunion Tower, is an ugly concrete, industrial wasteland, filled with Liquor stores a strip club, Dallas County Criminal Courthouse/Jails, and a lot of bail bondsmen. I seriously doubt the City of Dallas' ability to transform that area into something that "green" EVER.

Yeah, I was going to point out how over-hyped the TRP is in the background. At the present time, a lot of that area, immediately west of Reunion Tower, is an ugly concrete, industrial wasteland, filled with Liquor stores a strip club, Dallas County Criminal Courthouse/Jails, and a lot of bail bondsmen. I seriously doubt the City of Dallas' ability to transform that area into something that "green" EVER.

You guys are right....seeing is believing..........but however I do believe it will happen :rolleyes:

This is essentially how Victory will look once they have finished phase III. Phase III will be completed when the house, Mandarian, Cirque, and Victory office towers open. They are suppose to announce phase IV later this year.

victorypark011mt1.jpg

Wow. They started with one of the most beautiful arena buildings in the US and completely ignored it when they built around it. The new buildings are nice, but the context is completely disjointed. That's poor form, in my opinion.

just follow the link to dallasmetropolis. The history of how things ended up how they are is explained there. Basically, the original planned matched the Arena and went under. This is the new modern plan the Hillwood is doing themselves. It really doesn't look that bad in person and there are actually similar lines in the buildings.

I guess that's why the new plan felt it necessary to completely obscure the AA center with video screens and a parking garage aesthetic, huh?

"It really doesn't look that bad in person" isn't exactly a rave, is it?

I thought it looked really bad up against the new Victory buildings as well. Once you go down in person and visit, it is not really as noticeable. Personally, I would have wished for a more parallel look, just not the way it happened. I still think this is one of the most spectacular developments currently being built in the US.

Victory is nice. Up-to-date and hot, hot, hot. And more impressive than our 70s Greenway Plaza. But I got to hand it to Dallas... you guys are NOT intimidated about building... you believe "build it and they will come" and by golly you are right. Of course, Houston has a building craze going on (mostly waterfront) but sprawl puts skyscrapers all over; but when it is said and done by the end of the decade, we'll be right there with the biggest and baddest cities. Good luck to Big D and try to stay warm. Good grief, 19 degrees. What is that???????

:P

Seriously, I love Dal-Hou competitions: that makes Texas' two BIG ones duke it out. Dallas is (like Dallasboi said one time, give us a "run for the money"). In that situation, we both win.

Stay warm boys 'n girlz.... there's an artic front a comin' > :)

• 2 weeks later...

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!

I think you should have just kept the original question. Now it looks like you're changing it to Houston's advantage. Victory does have the West End(Aquarium, Sixth Floor, future Holocaust museum, bars, restaurats, etc) International Centre, McKinney Ave, Crescent, Katy Trail and the TRP(if it ever happens will be literally blocks away). and the future Museum of Science and History. But with all of that you can really only compare the two developments to each other as they only control what happens next to them from a spillover effect or not at all if it existed.

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!

I think you should have just kept the original question. Now it looks like you're changing it to Houston's advantage. Victory does have the West End(Aquarium, Sixth Floor, future Holocaust museum, bars, restaurats, etc) International Centre, McKinney Ave, Crescent, Katy Trail and the TRP(if it ever happens will be literally blocks away). and the future Museum of Science and History. But with all of that you can really only compare the two developments to each other as they only control what happens next to them from a spillover effect or not at all if it existed.

Actually, no i'm not changing it for the reason you gave. That was really my inital question all along, i just never really asked it the right way. Houston might not have a Victory branded name going up all at once, but over the years, Houston's east downtown has been doing basically the same thing that Dallas Victory is doing.

Also, I also received a few pms and a few people in this thread suggesting that the HP and Victory alone weren't comaprable, and that it would be better to compare Houston's eastern downtown development to Dallas's Victory development.

Houston Pavilions alone is more comaprable to the Merchantile project in Dallas. So to compare just Houston Pavilions by itself is ignoring all the development that has happened and still IS happening around it .

Hope this helps you understand my point better. Thanks for stopping by :)

scarface

It doesn't really help me understand. You're comparing an area of several different projects to a masterplanned area. A lot of your downtown stuff goes on with or without HP. Victory is large enough that nothing happens there without Victory itself. I would think of it more like your Hardy Rail Yards plan. Its a large area of new things. The Merchantile project is much more comparable as a big development in the middle of many. I don't think the sizes of HP and Victory are that comparable either. Correct me if I'm wrong on that.

You might want to edit your article. Not allowed to post full articles. Comparing Victory to Times Square is a stretch. I was in Dallas a few weeks ago, and Victory is big, but not even close to Times Square. It is really one walkway on in to the AA Center. By the way, that WFAA News you have in Dallas is so cheesy.

You might want to edit your article. Not allowed to post full articles. Comparing Victory to Times Square is a stretch. I was in Dallas a few weeks ago, and Victory is big, but not even close to Times Square. It is really one walkway on in to the AA Center. By the way, that WFAA News you have in Dallas is so cheesy.

Well when reading the article you will find the writer brought up the point that their are some design and aspects they drew from Times Square because they wanted some of that excitement. This is some of the reasoning behind the video screens and channel 8 putting in a studio, b/c they want a similar 'feel'. They did not say it was the same as Times Square or that is what the developer was going for, but in fact pales in size. The writer also mentioned in the article that as Victory builds out there MAY be some more comparisons, but the current construction and finished W only attribute to one third of the Victory build out. Now they did discuss about doing something in Victory at New Years and referenced the excitement in NY and the ball, BUT they don't know what they want to do yet. Don't need this Dallas trying to be NY thing manifesting AGAIN when places all over the world create these type of enviroments from LA to NY, Kansas City with its downtown news cast studio, Tokyo, London, Singapore...etc. etc.

that WFAA News you have in Dallas is so cheesy.

Wrong. WFAA has the best newscast I've seen anywhere. They are a little overexcited about their new Victory studio, but who cares. They still have the best looking set, the best anchors, and the best production in all of Dallas and maybe in all of the country.

WFAA probably has the most professional local newscast I've seen anywhere(Dale Hansen does suck half the time though). They have incredible studio design, very veteran broadcasters and there's something simply classy about them that I've not seen from living in several other states. I don't know what points to making it that way, but its always felt that way to me. I expected one of the other stations like Fox4 or CBS11(known for their remotes) to have a studio there, because it simply doesn't seem like them. But they've done a great job with the studio. I have to agree its not going to be or isn't Times Square, but something unique for Dallas. I can't wait until the first phase is done. I think it is misunderstood that when the first phase is talked about, we're talking about 4 more towers being completed. THEN Victory will be 1/3 finished. In case you haven't seen the tiny bit that's open all lit up on a game night, it already looks pretty awesome. Just imagine when there's more open, thousands more residents, thousands of workers and thousands of shoppers all mixed in with thousands of gameday patrons or concert goers. The difference between this and say a football stadium is you are guranteed at least half of the year being booked for the arena. Should be fun.

The thing I'm most surprised about is how people in the metroplex are actually impressed with it. People in the metroplex are very very hard to please if it aint super suburban. Everyone seems to love it though and most are shocked(most don't follow development like we do) that something like this is happening at all in Dallas.

Wrong. WFAA has the best newscast I've seen anywhere. They are a little overexcited about their new Victory studio, but who cares. They still have the best looking set, the best anchors, and the best production in all of Dallas and maybe in all of the country.

That is what I was getting at. They are too excited about that studio. It is nice, but its not Times Square, so stop comapring it to that. I liked CBS 11 while I was there. Friendly people in Downtown Fort Worth.

They should be excited about it. Victory Park is not even close to finishing its first phase and its already looking like something great. Just give it time. Barely anything is open there. It will be an interesting couple of years as opening after opening happens over that time.

does Victory alone really promise to add 2500 more residents? If that's the case, downtown Dallas's resident population will nearly double.

I know i've said this before but damn i'm so much in envy right now. I wish Houston could get projects like this off the ground. What is the real deal? Is it because our Marketers not promoting the city enough?

does Victory alone really promise to add 2500 more residents? If that's the case, downtown Dallas's resident population will nearly double.

I know i've said this before but damn i'm so much in envy right now. I wish Houston could get projects like this off the ground. What is the real deal? Is it because our Marketers not promoting the city enough?

Before you slit your wrists... ;-) Keep in mind that it took quite a few years and redesigns to get the Victory project off the ground. Plus, the project is blessed with VERY deep-pocketed developers who didn't have to pledge their first-born to a finance company to start and an additional child each time they want to change a paint color ;-) Seriously, I'm guessing most of the Victory project probably would not be happening if the developer didn't have such deep pockets.

I was set to be seriously envious too when I first started seeing the renderings on the Victory website, but as the buildings have been built and we've started to see pictures on this and other website, all jealousy has vanished. Perhaps it looks a LOT better in person, but in the pictures I've seen it looks pretty underwhelming, generic, and suburban-esque. As has been noted before, Houston did a Victory-type development 30 years ago. It's called Greenway Plaza. Arena, a little retail, hotels, luxury condos, yadda yadda yadda. Sure, Victory is a little flashier than Greenway Plaza; that's partly a function of the times and partly just Dallas being Dallas.

...I was set to be seriously envious too when I first started seeing the renderings on the Victory website, but as the buildings have been built and we've started to see pictures on this and other website, all jealousy has vanished. Perhaps it looks a LOT better in person, but in the pictures I've seen it looks pretty underwhelming, generic, and suburban-esque...

As Rantanamo noted above "...Victory Park is not even close to finishing its first phase and its already looking like something great. Just give it time. Barely anything is open there. It will be an interesting couple of years as opening after opening happens over that time."

Perhaps you should reserve judgment until the project comes closer to completion.

Houston did a Victory-type development 30 years ago. It's called Greenway Plaza. Arena, a little retail, hotels, luxury condos, yadda yadda yadda. Sure, Victory is a little flashier than Greenway Plaza; that's partly a function of the times and partly just Dallas being Dallas.

Where's the retail in Greenway out of curiousity (Other than those new shops in front of those new apartments off Timmons facing 59)

As Rantanamo noted above "...Victory Park is not even close to finishing its first phase and its already looking like something great. Just give it time. Barely anything is open there. It will be an interesting couple of years as opening after opening happens over that time."

Perhaps you should reserve judgment until the project comes closer to completion.

I certainly will reserve final judgment until I see it in person and perhaps until it comes closer to completion. But I disagree with Rantanamo. First, Victory Park is working on its second phase, not its first. And I don't think it's looking like something great at all... To me it looks terribly underwhelming. Reminds me a little of some of the office parks in West Houston.

Color me surprised that Rantanamo, of all people, thinks it looks great... has he ever had anything less than glowingly positive to say about any Dallas development, ever? ;-)

Where's the retail in Greenway out of curiousity (Other than those new shops in front of those new apartments off Timmons facing 59)

There's an underground retail area. (It's not very big, but there are/were movie theaters there as well) Also, Tony's Restaurant is there.

Archived