Does Houston Have A Little Italy Neighborhood?

citykid09

i asked my dad about why italians are so scattered in houston and he reminded me that all of the "old folks" in our family who got off the boat at ellis island ended up in galveston because back in the early 1900's it was a big port town. of course the hurricane blew it away - almost all of the remaining "old folk" in our family relocated to dickinson. my dad's generation was the last to marry italian, the next generation (mine & my cousins) all married gringo and a few like my sister married into mexican families. so at the annual family reunion italians number fewer than other nationalities - most of our own kids don't even identify with being italian like i did growing up which is a bit of a shame.

debmartin

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Woodlands opens new park

Grogan's Forest facility features bocce ball court, horseshoe pits

By BETH KUHLES, Chronicle Correspondent

RESOURCES

HORSESHOE RULES

The sport of horseshoes may be played by one individual for practice or by two or more for sport. Horseshoe courts basically require a level area with two stakes located 30 to 40 feet apart.

There are quite a few Italians but they're scattered about. Personally, many of the people who identify themselves as "Italian" aren't very Italian, to me. I get frustrated by people who identify themselves as such who don't speak any Italian and truly have very few ties anymore to Italy.

As an Italian (born and raised w/dual citizenship) it's a point of contention for me. There's not much I can do other than head to Italy at least once a year to get my annual sanity check (and eat lots of great food)

• 2 months later...
In the 1900s the 4th Ward was the first Italian community.

There were also a large community in the 50s off Wayside and Lawndale, in the neighborhood behing the Dinner Bell.  I think this hood is called Idylwood.

FYI, it was Simms Woods which is across Wayside from Idylwood. It is like a baby version of Meyerland. The old timers said it was almost exclusively Sicilian at first.

FYI, it was Simms Woods which is across Wayside from Idylwood.  It is like a baby version of Meyerland.  The old timers said it was almost exclusively Sicilian at first.

Simms Woods? I live east of there in Pecan Park but am not sure where that is. Is that on the south side of Lawndale behind Villa de Matel or west of Country Club estates? I know that Broadmoor, which is down Lawndale and was built in the 20s was very Italian. The Carrabas are from there and Mandola's Deli is still over nearby.

Want to see a texan Italian? Look at the Carrabbas. They had a ranch here, or something. (in Texas)

• 2 weeks later...
One of the older Carrabas family members  just sold their house in Glenbrook, on the corner of Glenview & Glen Valley.  That area was heavily Italian in the 50's -70's from what I have been told.

I read that the many Italians came into Texas through Galveston and that Dickinson was originally an early settlement for them. DebMartin confirms this. I also think that the original Houston 'Little Italy' centered around the original Antone's on Taft, near Allen Parkway. I guess this falls into what is was generally called the 4th Ward. Right?

• 2 years later...

Take a few moments to check out Forest Park Lawndale Cemetary and see how many markers are of Italian descent. As an addition I would hook up with the IIAA - Italy in America Association. They have all sorts of cool stuff going on al the time. Once a month there are Italian film viewings at the Italian Cultural Center too. You don't have to be a Soprano to join either!

Siamo un gruppo eterogeneo d'individui con un denominatore comune: il nostro amore per L'italia, la sua, cultura, il suo retaggio e le sue tradizioni.

Molti di noi parlano sia L'italiano si I'inglese.

If you are trying to brush up on your Italiano like moi, get on an Intnl forum and speak to folks who live in places like Roma & Tuscany. Who better to learn from? Capisce?

Ciao! & benvenuto! :)

• 6 months later...
No Little Italy in Houston??? Ai misera, Per che?!

Majority of fellow paisan's fled to the burbs years ago. As I mentioned above all you will find are the elders that helped build up Houston in nearby Near East End cemetaries.

Time marched on, business's sold or went under. Children said lets get out of here. Rest is historia. Santo cielo!

You will be lucky to find a few pockets of familia inside the city.

Tutti e ora spargere fuori.

Try talking to the family at:

http://www.houstonitaliancenter.com/

Buon fortuna! :)

I grew up in Houston and had a lot of Italian friends, the Patronellas, Carrabas, Ruffinos, and Mandolas. My next door neighbor attended Catholic school her entire life and through her I met a lot of them. She attended Queen of Peace, and Incarnate Word and was a cheerleader and homecoming queen for ST. Thomas HS. Several of her friends lived near Wayside and Lawndale while the rest seemed to be spread out all around town. The Ruffinos lived in my neighborhood.

The Mandolas deli that is at Cullen and Leeland is I think owned by Joe Mandola who lives (or did) in Pearland because his son played baseball in Pearland at the same time my son did.

I grew up in Houston and had a lot of Italian friends, the Patronellas, Carrabas, Ruffinos, and Mandolas. My next door neighbor attended Catholic school her entire life and through her I met a lot of them. She attended Queen of Peace, and Incarnate Word and was a cheerleader and homecoming queen for ST. Thomas HS. Several of her friends lived near Wayside and Lawndale while the rest seemed to be spread out all around town. The Ruffinos lived in my neighborhood.

The Mandolas deli that is at Cullen and Leeland is I think owned by Joe Mandola who lives (or did) in Pearland because his son played baseball in Pearland at the same time my son did.

The Carrabas that are founders of the resturant Carrabas are origanally from Bryan, TX (well after Italy).

The Carrabas that are founders of the resturant Carrabas are origanally from Bryan, TX (well after Italy).

Johnny Carraba was raised in Houston and is the nephew of Vincent, Damian, and Tony Mandola. Vincent owns Vincents and Ninos, Damian owned Damians on Smith till he sold it to help Johnny franchise Carraba's, and Tony owns Tony Mandola's Blue oyster bar. Jonny was a few years younger than me but I met him when I was about 15 or 16 through my next door neighbor.

And keeping it in the family Vincent Mandola is married Ninfa Lorenzo's oldest daughter.

Joe & Lena Mandola's house is in Glenbrook, but it is currently for sale. I was told by some old-timers that Johnny Carrabbas lived on Rockhill near Hollygrove in Glenbrook as well. Rose Marie Carrabbas lived at Glenview & Glen Valley, the house is now owned by one of the sisters of the Taqueria Del Sol clan. One of the Patranellas just sold their house on Glenheath.

The various Catholic shrines that were originally built into many of the homes in there are one of the "artifacts" left over from Glenbrook's days as an Italian neighborhood.

Originally the Provenzano's

IMG_0703-1.jpg

The Mandola's has the kneeling pad

hr2000889-21.jpg

The Carrabba's house was a little larger

IMG_1549.jpg

Sorry for the bad picture (lifted off an old listing) but the one singer Steve Tyrell grew up in had a whole prayer room.

hr1155497-8.jpg

rps, I know that area extremely well as I played Little League Baseball with a lot of those families. I played at Freeway National Little Leage which was located on Wynlea. The fields went to Pony/Colt baseball and I think now no one plays there anymore. All the kids I played baseball with lived in the Glenbrook and Garden Villas area. I also attended high school with all those kids at Milby. Mark Patonella was on one of my teams for several years.

The Joe Mandola I mention in my post would be the next generation and is probably a son of those who lived in Glenbrook. He opened his first deli in the shopping center at the corner of Broadway and Belfort. I have not been by there for a while but long ago there was an Eagle grocery store anchoring one end of it and a Walgreens anchoring the other end. There was a mall type indoor walkway that went from Eagle to Walgreens and he had his deli in there. Later he moved from there over to his current location at Cullen and Leeland.

I played at Freeway National Little Leage which was located on Wynlea. The fields went to Pony/Colt baseball and I think now no one plays there anymore.

you are right. unfortunately it was leveled a couple of years ago.

Archived