Is anyone else w/ me that we need to let Rafer go? I mean, seriously. He's taking the same bonehead shots and making the same dumb decisions as a pg as he did last season.

He's got some skills, it's just his decision making can be absolutely horrible. That's not good for a PG.

I say get rid of him and let Stevie fill in the minutes that are remaining. I really want Steve to do well. I like him a lot. I think everything people say about him is totally false, as far as turnovers and being selfish, etc.

I guess you've been watching a different Stevie and Rafer. Rafer isn't horrible, it's just that his horribleness showed last year when he couldn't put up a good shot. Well this year he doesn't have to. Now we don't have to rely on his shot. He's great at not turning the ball over and making his teammates more effective.

Stevie is an undisciplined player, he's erratic, and doesn't include his teammates in the offense as well as he should. I think that he can be ok with a role coming off the bench where we need a playmaker and a spark (like Mike James), however if you come into the season and you aren't in shape, you shouldn't be on the floor with the guys that are in shape.

I guess you've been watching a different Stevie and Rafer. Rafer isn't horrible, it's just that his horribleness showed last year when he couldn't put up a good shot. Well this year he doesn't have to. Now we don't have to rely on his shot. He's great at not turning the ball over and making his teammates more effective.

Stevie is an undisciplined player, he's erratic, and doesn't include his teammates in the offense as well as he should. I think that he can be ok with a role coming off the bench where we need a playmaker and a spark (like Mike James), however if you come into the season and you aren't in shape, you shouldn't be on the floor with the guys that are in shape.

Agreed, although he was horrible to get the offense going at the beginning of the game and at the end of the game(Although IMO I contribute this to the fact it was opening night jitters, I just do not want to see them fall apart again like that at the end of the game with a 12 point lead. I think if Steve competes and gets into shape he will get some minutes as Rafer tires.

LMAO the bucket score by Luke Walton for the Rockets ended up being the game winner.(Not to take away from Shane though. Great shot)!!!

Maybe Steve isn't as great now as I want him to be. I just like the guy. He plays hard and he cares. I think he gets his teammates involved. When he was with us, I never found myself complaining about that. He always got Yao the ball. Plus, he always averaged over 6 assists a game. Out of Rafer's seasons when he played full time minutes, he only averaged over six assists twice and last year he averaged only 5.4.

I'm not saying Steve should be starting, but how you described, as coming off the bench for a spark. I think Mike James should start. He's good all around.

And the thing is, we NEVER had to rely on Rafers shot. He just took upon himself to shoot unnecessary shots. Instead of continuing to swing the ball, he'll pull up and shoot a three with someone in his face or when the next guy to pass to is wide open, and to top it off, he takes those shots as if the shot clock is running out, and it's not. Basically, he takes shots that should be reserved for the guys who get paid to score. He's not paid to score. He's not even a good shooter. He just frustrates me to no end.

And the thing is, we NEVER had to rely on Rafers shot. He just took upon himself to shoot unnecessary shots. Instead of continuing to swing the ball, he'll pull up and shoot a three with someone in his face or when the next guy to pass to is wide open, and to top it off, he takes those shots as if the shot clock is running out, and it's not. Basically, he takes shots that should be reserved for the guys who get paid to score. He's not paid to score. He's not even a good shooter. He just frustrates me to no end.

I can't argue with that. At least now he has a host of better shooters to defer to. Hopefully he will defer.

If Francis isn't going to play and he's not considered one of the best players on the team, what made his signing a big deal in the first place? Was he only signed to be trade bait? I'm not sure I get it.

I also don't understand everyone hating on Alston. The dude can play, as can Francis, and James who I think should be the starter. What I like about the Rockets this is year is that their entire roster from deep in the bench are capable of being starters and making some serious plays any given night. If a starter got injured, it wouldn't be as big a deal as it was last year.

If Francis isn't going to play and he's not considered one of the best players on the team, what made his signing a big deal in the first place? Was he only signed to be trade bait? I'm not sure I get it.

I also don't understand everyone hating on Alston. The dude can play, as can Francis, and James who I think should be the starter. What I like about the Rockets this is year is that their entire roster from deep in the bench are capable of being starters and making some serious plays any given night. If a starter got injured, it wouldn't be as big a deal as it was last year.

I think James should start too.

And Rafer does have skills. He can be a great passer, can run the break pretty well, and is a streaky shooter. Maybe his game is just better suited for street ball? Ahtleticism reigns there.

Very solid win for the Rockets tonight. But I think the Jazz played last night, so maybe they're a little tired. Oh well. Guess that's life in the NBA.

I think I figured out how Rafer can be our best asset. I think he did it tonight for the most part. He does not need to be a major part of the offense, at all. Basically, he just needs to bring it down court and then pass it. For the most part, that's it. Then, knock down open shots and just take what the defense gives him and nothing else. If her forces things, it's usually not good.

With the way James is playing and the limited number of players Adelman is using, I don't think Steve will see the floor unless it's a blowout.

Anywho, great game tonight. Tracy did extremely well, of course. Very nice.

Why do you say that? Just because he's the one above him on the list for playing time?

No, because I don't like the way Luther is playing. He isn't a playmaker like Bonzi, Mike, and Steve. I think Steve is a better fit in this offense. If he can get in shape that is.

No, because I don't like the way Luther is playing. He isn't a playmaker like Bonzi, Mike, and Steve. I think Steve is a better fit in this offense. If he can get in shape that is.

So is your philosophy to sort of have a playmaker at every position? I think more or less they might just want him to be someone to shoot the ball when open, and be a playmaker every so often. He'll never be a full time playermaker type, but I think he does have that ability. He had a nice cross over and drive to the hole basket the other night.

And Trae, you're on the money. If Rafer came off the bench...that would suck big time. If he is gonna play, I'd rather him start, get a few minutes and then let Mike play the rest of the game.

I think the Rockets need to practice passing the ball. I'm tired of watching them barley throw the ball when passing and the other teams steals the ball. They might as well throw the ball directly to the other team. other than that I thought it was a competitive game until the 4th when they made back to back bad passes and gave the momentum to the home team.

I think the Rockets need to practice passing the ball. I'm tired of watching them barley throw the ball when passing and the other teams steals the ball. They might as well throw the ball directly to the other team. other than that I thought it was a competitive game until the 4th when they made back to back bad passes and gave the momentum to the home team.

The ones in the fourth quarter were Mike James.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5287512.html

The Rockets play the Milwaukee Bucks tonight at Toyota Center in a game that would draw yawns across much of the US. In China, however, because of the matchup of 7' 6" Yao Ming and 7' Yi Jianlian, the television audience could exceed 250 million viewers, more than an average Super Bowl. I made a new topic for it, due to the unique nature of the game (apologies in advance to the thread nazis).

Some of the interesting items from the article were the number of Chinese sponsors of the Rockets (six), and the number of shoe deals for Chinese shoes by NON-Chinese Rockets players. Luis Scola now has a deal, in addition to Steve Francis, Shane Battier, and Chuck Hayes. CHUCK HAYES?

Should be an interesting game. I look forward to Yao and the rest confirming their status as China's Team. :)

Wow, I didn't know about all the other shoe deals besides Steve's.

I bet there aren't even a handful of other teams that have websites in other languages like the Rockets do (Granted, we do have Yao). Their splash page looks like it has at least two or three websites in other languages other than English.

Is Houston and international city?

j/k

I've been wanting to get fired-up about the Rockets again. Hopefully this is the year of the Rocket.

If we would light up our skyline, we would be. ;) Interestingly, I have noticed that only our "international" sports teams are doing any good. Our "American" sports teams are pretty much the suck.

I liked Van Gundy, but damn, it was hard to watch the Rockets, even when they were winning. This season has been a lot more fun to watch already. Looking forward to tonight's game.

That would be cool to see someone do a study on the economic impact Yao has had in Houston, China and the Rockets. You've got to believe that Yao has spurt a desire for the Chinese to travel to Houston for leisure and possibly do more business w/ Houston. Maybe, maybe not?

Interestingly, I have noticed that only our "international" sports teams are doing any good. Our "American" sports teams are pretty much the suck.

I know, right?! Soccer and basketball. That's not bad at all from an international standpoint. I'm sure if it were the more American sports like NFL football and baseball (though baseball is growing from an international sense), it would be huge for marketing and publicity in the states, but people outside the US wouldn't care.

It's great for the city. I kinda wish the Astros also had an international influence as well, but it's still cool to say that we already have more than one team putting Houston on the global map.

They like the Stros in The Valley. That's International, right ;-)

Don't foget about the Coogs!

The 2007 season gets boiled down to its essence Saturday at Chapman Stadium in Tulsa, Okla., where the Houston Cougars take on the Tulsa Golden Hurricane in the biggest Conference USA game of the season.

A victory by the Cougars (6-3, 5-1 in C-USA) wraps up the West Division title for the second straight year.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5287419.html