and it had to happen in the Near East End of all places. Sadly, there still are burned/charred remains of the vehicle just laying on the side of the intersection. It's still kind of weird why he was in this location and that early in the morning. News said to avoid the area that morning so it could have happened around 2-3am?

So for the morbidly curious, the tracks are right next to a car wash near intersection of Telephone and Lawndale. If he did drugs maybe he was scoring near by? Who knows.

People are always trying beat these lousy trains (in this local) because once they stop like they normally sit still for an hour or 2, thats right. Whole new topic though. Still a horrible way to go.

Rafer Alston's long, hot summer continues. The Rockets point guard was arrested early Monday morning in New York City on charges he slashed a man's throat inside a nightclub.

It was the second bust in three weeks for the 31-year-old Alston, who was arrested on Aug. 5 in Houston following a confrontation with a parking attendant after his car was towed.

The latest incident occurred when a member of Alston's entourage got into an argument with 41-year-old Wilbert Ashman at a trendy nightclub called Stereo, according to the New York Post and Daily News.

The argument turned into a brawl and, according to Ashman, he was slashed on the right side of his neck. Alston was arrested and Ashman later picked him out of a police lineup.

Alston was unavailable for comment. The Rockets are preparing a statement.

full story

I like Rafer although i know he is on his way out. he He was one of the keys we did so good last season. I think rafer is a good person as is Stevie. Sports figures are not role models parents are and they make mistakes as we all do. maybe rick is like having a deep back court as we lacked last year.

I like the old floor better. Color is good.

I still hate the logo though. Had I won the Mega Millions, I'd have doubled it in a day or so and bought a controlling interest in the Rockets and made them go back to the old logo or get a better new one.

I'm glad to have Mike back as he is a buddy of mine, so he will be around more often.

I like the old floor better. Color is good.

I still hate the logo though. Had I won the Mega Millions, I'd have doubled it in a day or so and bought a controlling interest in the Rockets and made them go back to the old logo or get a better new one.

I'm glad to have Mike back as he is a buddy of mine, so he will be around more often.

I like the old red court personally, I am trying to fight back the Rose Tinted Memories. LOL

Well, they had a reason for getting rid of all the red.

"We're always trying to update the facility and put something out there that the fans will really enjoy," Rockets CEO Tad Brown said. "We have looked at courts from across the NBA and this type of look in other facilities really lends itself to a more vibrant and clean presentation during the game."

The organization started exploring its redesign options this summer because the team felt the floor's red paint flushed out the action and absorbed the arena's lighting. After creating about 10 different possible designs, the team chose the two-tone wood style look because it creates a stage-like appearance.

Unlike the previous floor design, the only red paint on the floor is in logos and stripes. The floor's border and the traditional painted area below the free throw line will be wooded areas.

"The best part of this design is the court is really going to stand out because the lighting isn't going to get saturated into the red," said Rockets creative services manager Jose Lopez, who designed the court. "Since we have red seats, it will be a great contrast."

In addition to the two-wood style approach, center court will simply have the Rockets' R logo in red and each baseline will read "Houston Rockets" in red lettering.

The new design is being redone by Jones Flooring.

"It's going to be extremely clean," Brown said. "We think this is going to be a beautiful court and really enhance the experience for our fans."

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think the rockets are gonna do some great things this upcoming season with the addition of Steve francis. Having several key star players are the reason why the Lakers were such a great team for a while. As for the new floor, its definitely an improvement but I just wish they'd change up the color and add more coloring than just red and white. kinda boring!

Speaking of Francis, it dawned on me last night while watching the game that this situation might be the best yet for him, because he's in an offense that doesn't ask him to "handle" the ball for long stretches, which is what killed him under both Rudy and Jeff Van Gundy (turnovers, dribbling off his foot, not getting the ball in the hands of the post guy soon enough, etc). Steve can improvise a lot more as it stands now and not have to worry as much about "running" the offense.

The fact that it's a motion offense with the Princeton University philosphy of passing and cutting, screening and rolling, may be just what the doctor ordered.

But even if I'm off on that, the Rockets are gettting some good work right now out of lot of people. It's just preseason and I hate to jinx things but... they look pretty good right now, for sure.

I think the rockets are gonna do some great things this upcoming season with the addition of Steve francis. Having several key star players are the reason why the Lakers were such a great team for a while. As for the new floor, its definitely an improvement but I just wish they'd change up the color and add more coloring than just red and white. kinda boring!

Ive seen the court in person before and after and I believe it is a great improvement from the old red court which to me in comparison seemed blah.

• 2 weeks later...
They look sloppy to me, but they still look more dangerous than last season. I can't imagine how good they will be when they become a solid team.

I agree, they did look kind of sloppy. But you can see the potential that is there. Once they get it together, watch out.

Was anyone else ticked at Doug Collins for saying it was over with a little over a minute to go? Later on he tried explaining himself saying he thought it was over b/c the Lakers were playing so poorly. Whatever man, the Rockets weren't playing so hot either. And this is the NBA, and that's a lot of time left, ESPECIALLY when one of the players on the other team is Kobe. The rox really got away with one last night.

They better learn quick from last nights mistakes b/c they have a really tough schedule coming up.

Did Francis even play? Get the dude some minutes.

That's going to be hard when you're not one of the top 8 or 9 guys on the team. He needs to be proactive and find a way to show coach that he's ready. Unlike Bonzi last year.

Edited by ProHouston

That's going to be hard when you're not one of the top 8 or 9 guys on the team. He needs to be proactive and find a way to show coach that he's ready. Unlink Bonzi last year.

Is anyone else w/ me that we need to let Rafer go? I mean, seriously. He's taking the same bonehead shots and making the same dumb decisions as a pg as he did last season.

He's got some skills, it's just his decision making can be absolutely horrible. That's not good for a PG.

I say get rid of him and let Stevie fill in the minutes that are remaining. I really want Steve to do well. I like him a lot. I think everything people say about him is totally false, as far as turnovers and being selfish, etc.