Kobe has like six years of raw dominance left in him. I hope we trade Rafer, Battier, maybe Head for Kobe. Imagine our lineup with T-Mac, Yao, KOBE, Wells?, Snyder?. Who would our last two players be?

If we pulled this off, I believe that we'd have to give up one, if not two first-round picks as well.

This is what Bill Simmons suggests could happen:

Deal No. 7: Houston trades Tracy McGrady, Bobby Sura (expiring contract in 2008) and the No. 26 pick for Kobe and Vladimir Radmanovic.

Comments: The Lakers aren't getting LeBron or Gilbert Arenas, and 'Melo isn't happening (see above). So that makes T-Mac the best under-30 scorer available. Where would he take the Lakers though? They were already a .500 team with Kobe, right? And wouldn't T-Mac inevitably be unhappy going to another rebuilding team? Too big of a risk for the Lakers -- the last thing they need is another unhappy superstar. They're already going to have 15,000 unhappy season-ticket holders as it is.

I don't remember. Who?

But Kobe still has at least three or four more years of dominance in him. Shaq was already past his peak and on the decline. That's the difference I see in the two.

The way I see it, Shaq won a title after leaving LA, and Kobe hasn't made it past the 1st round yet.

But Shaq was traded for Caron Butler, Lamar Odom, Brian Grant, and a 1st round pick. There'd be nothing wrong with giving up our 1st rounder in the deal giving up Battier, Alston, and Howard IMO either.

And I could see the Lakers doing that, too. There's some good free-agents out there this year, and by not having Bryant's contract anymore, they could sign Vince Carter or Chauncey Billups if they wanted, and have a decent overall lineup to start their rebuilding from.

But look at Butler and Odom. They're very good starting players with star potential if not already. Battier, Alston and Howard are nothing close to being on the same level as those guys. They'll never make an all-star team.

But look at Butler and Odom. They're very good starting players with star potential if not already. Battier, Alston and Howard are nothing close to being on the same level as those guys. They'll never make an all-star team.

None of the five players mentioned in your post are likely to make an all-star game anytime soon. I think Battier's better than Butler or Odom when it comes to overall game, but I think Odom's the best role-player.

Either way, I think the Rockets will finally be a high scoring team with this current roster and Adelman as coach. The Rockets would be foolish to trade McGrady or Yao Ming. If they wanted to bring in another star or two to go along with them, it wouldn't hurt the Rockets at all.

As far as the Lakers are concerned, it doesn't matter if they trade Bryant for an all-star or more supporting cast; they'll still have to rebuild because they built their team around Kobe.

BTW, try the Battier/Alston/Howard for Bryant deal on this, and check out the result...

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/trademachine

None of the five players mentioned in your post are likely to make an all-star game anytime soon. I think Battier's better than Butler or Odom when it comes to overall game, but I think Odom's the best role-player.

Either way, I think the Rockets will finally be a high scoring team with this current roster and Adelman as coach. The Rockets would be foolish to trade McGrady or Yao Ming. If they wanted to bring in another star or two to go along with them, it wouldn't hurt the Rockets at all.

As far as the Lakers are concerned, it doesn't matter if they trade Bryant for an all-star or more supporting cast; they'll still have to rebuild because they built their team around Kobe.

BTW, try the Battier/Alston/Howard for Bryant deal on this, and check out the result...

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/trademachine

Ug, I was hoping you had already done it already with that link.

Battier is nothing more than a glorified role player. Head is inconsistent and at best can come off the bench. Alston, he's really a bench guy; shoots way too much with bad shot selection.

Caron and Lamar are focal points on playoff caliber teams. Plus they are very versatile and can do everything our guys can't.

Ug, I was hoping you had already done it already with that link.

Battier is nothing more than a glorified role player. Head is inconsistent and at best can come off the bench. Alston, he's really a bench guy; shoots way too much with bad shot selection.

Caron and Lamar are focal points on playoff caliber teams. Plus they are very versatile and can do everything our guys can't.

Which is way LA would never take 3 scrubs like Alston, Howard, and Battier for Kobe Bryant. I mean come on! Lockmat is right that Kobe is the best player in the league, he's not getting traded for crap, especially when LA knows they screwed up the Shaq deal. Furthermore, there is no way we can acquire Rashard Lewis if we're trading for Kobe, Rashard would have to be a sign and trade, we have no cap space to get him off the free agent market.

Lastly, I still believe that Kobe can't lead a team. Being the best player is one thing, being a leader is different. Just ask T-Mac and Dirk. I don't think Kobe leads us to a championship. I think we need more parts and a better offense not a different #1 guy.

I hate that they got a new coach just because we did not get out the 1ST round. Losing in the 1st 2nd and 3rd round are all the same thing, the team comes away with not a damn thing! Last year was not good but T-MAC and Yao were not in it for the better part of the season. This year Yao was hurt for half and was still not at full strength to play with Carlos Bozer in the 1st round. This is not a reason to have lost a heartbreaker in game seven at HOME! I think I cried and then the Mavs lost that made me feel much much better. But it was the beanch faults we lost that game. JVG did a great job with this team because of the health issues with his two star players and then he had the rockets play some D(not very much in playoffs though). If they wanted a new coach they should brought bach some one the whle city would love, the man who created CLUTCH CITY, Rudy T the Heart of a Champion himself, or the one and only Hakeem "The Dream" Olajuwon. He would teach Yao how to be one of the best big men off all time and how to use his shooters more just like he did with Horry,Cassell, and Drexler

=

I hate that they got a new coach just because we did not get out the 1ST round. Losing in the 1st 2nd and 3rd round are all the same thing, the team comes away with not a damn thing! Last year was not good but T-MAC and Yao were not in it for the better part of the season. This year Yao was hurt for half and was still not at full strength to play with Carlos Bozer in the 1st round. This is not a reason to have lost a heartbreaker in game seven at HOME! I think I cried and then the Mavs lost that made me feel much much better. But it was the beanch faults we lost that game. JVG did a great job with this team because of the health issues with his two star players and then he had the rockets play some D(not very much in playoffs though). If they wanted a new coach they should brought bach some one the whle city would love, the man who created CLUTCH CITY, Rudy T the Heart of a Champion himself, or the one and only Hakeem "The Dream" Olajuwon. He would teach Yao how to be one of the best big men off all time and how to use his shooters more just like he did with Horry,Cassell, and Drexler

=

Wow! That's an awesome video. Someone really put some time into that one. I agree with the Rudy T statement, though Les is too damn stubborn to pick up the phone and call Rudy T back to the sideline. I do think we needed a new coach though, among other changes. I just didn't see JVG taking us to the Finals.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wells is coming back to play for the Roxs next year, will this help or hurt them since he is playing for his old coach? Since we do have the Kings old coach could we get bibby with the rockets salary cap, cause Alston should not be a starter if you want to get out 1st round.

• 3 weeks later...

News Flash: Stevie Franchise is back!

Of course he won't be starting this time and won't be called "Franchise" any more, but hey, he should be a good addition as a veteran coming off the bench. Hopefully, he'll provide that spark we need along with Bonzi. Lord knows Luther Head can't do it.

News Flash: Stevie Franchise is back!

Of course he won't be starting this time and won't be called "Franchise" any more, but hey, he should be a good addition as a veteran coming off the bench. Hopefully, he'll provide that spark we need along with Bonzi. Lord knows Luther Head can't do it.

Oye, I just heard about it just as I arrived in the Seoul airport. MAD props to the Rockets for that one. It's surreal knowing that the main guy we traded to get McGrady is all of a sudden back. Now we somewhat have a big-4 with those two, Battier and Yao Ming.

According to the Chronicle, Alston and/or John Lucas will probably be the ones traded. That, plus a 2nd rounder they aquired probably means they're looking for another steal. If they get another power forward and build up some depth in that position, I'd say they have the best team (on paper) in the NBA. :)

• 1 month later...
The Harris County Medical Examiner's Office on Tuesday identified Griffin as the man who died on Friday when the sport utility vehicle he was driving plowed into a moving train in southeast Houston.

it sounds like griffin was oncoming. he hit the train, the train didn't hit him. i nominate him for a darwin award.

I was surprised to hear that he was only 25. He had been with about three NBA teams already and has been in legal trouble several times. It's so sad that he ended up this way.

...and one of his legal troubles was one of the most hilarious things I have heard in awhile. It was in true Houston sports celebrity form. His "inattentive driving" incident in Minneapolis.