I think last night was just a "perfect storm" situation. Everyone on the Rockets team had an off night and it just happened to be against the best team in the league. Adelman could've had a better game plan, T-Mac could've driven the lane more, Rafer was showboating too much, Battier had probs with Pierce, Scola missed layups and was in foul trouble... Put all those together and it was just an off night. One or two guys can be off and we can still win. The whole team? That makes it difficult.

I think last night was just a "perfect storm" situation. Everyone on the Rockets team had an off night and it just happened to be against the best team in the league. Adelman could've had a better game plan, T-Mac could've driven the lane more, Rafer was showboating too much, Battier had probs with Pierce, Scola missed layups and was in foul trouble... Put all those together and it was just an off night. One or two guys can be off and we can still win. The whole team? That makes it difficult.

That's true. Last night was a complete contrast to how we've been playing...unconscience. In the past EVERYONE was hitting on all cylinders. It was amazing that everyone was playing so well at the same time.

Picture says it all:

nba_ap_rockets_580.jpg

Adelman: The looking to the side thinking about what do we do from here/what's next.

Deke: The dispair of realizing the streak is over back to reality.

Novak: The head scratching how did this happen.

Hayes: Looking up wondering what could have been.

T-Mac: The %#$&*$ part of the loss.

But hey, let's remember the streak that was, 22-games and second longest in NBA history:

rox22wl6.jpg

I just checked out the box score and I've miraculously discovered what went wrong. Rafer had one assist and four turnovers. He's not a assist generating machine, but he usually has way more than that, of course. And he doesn't usually commit turnovers. It's obvious that we need him to play well for us to win. It's more important for him to shoot a high percentage than to score a lot of points.

McGrady actually had a good game besides scoring. 8 assists and 7 rebounds is pretty good, but only taking 11 shots is not. I will say though that they played good D on him (even though he can get a jump shot anytime he wants).

It was fun while it lasted. The end of the streak was inevitable. Just wish they hadn't gotten spanked so bad on national tv. They were just starting to get some respect.

Losing to the best team in the league without your superstar is nothing to be ashamed of.

Losing to the best team in the league without your superstar is nothing to be ashamed of.

It was supposed to be the best team in the East against the best team in the West. Whether the Celtics are the best team in the whole league remains to be seen. You can't go by the Celtics won/loss record because the East is basically pretty crappy. (Although I’ll admit they looked pretty damn good last night).

And the Celtics did it the night after beating San Antonio... It was a rough game, the Rockets looked totally outmatched. Rafer seemed to be thrown off from his little altercation in the first second, Scola seemed intimidated by Garnett on both ends, Hayes was/is a poor finisher (there is a reason Landry had taken on his minutes), T-Mac... well he did get double-teamed everytime, but he definitely did not look like a star out there. Boston looked awesome, and did so without Ray Allen.

And the Celtics did it the night after beating San Antonio... It was a rough game, the Rockets looked totally outmatched. Rafer seemed to be thrown off from his little altercation in the first second, Scola seemed intimidated by Garnett on both ends, Hayes was/is a poor finisher (there is a reason Landry had taken on his minutes), T-Mac... well he did get double-teamed everytime, but he definitely did not look like a star out there. Boston looked awesome, and did so without Ray Allen.

A game where we really needed Yao. Celtics didn't give up the 3s since we didn't have a low post prescence that could hurt them, so they stayed on our guards.

I thought we played a good game against a good team we just got killed on second chance points. Personally I thought many of those offensive rebounds were over the back, I know we are small but when Yao dose the same thang it gets called. The New Orleans game we just ran out of energy, only 10 points in the fourth quarter. I have not posted in a while as we were on a streak I did not want to change anything. As long as we run Addleman's offense we can beat any team in the league as far as I am concerned. 22 out of 24 ain't bad!!! Go Rockets!!!!

Edited by T 2 THA C

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Karl Malone + John Stockton = ZERO rings! Hahahaha. Utah must realize that they have never one a championship.

True enough...but the Jazz beat the Rockets last year and will do it again this year. D-Will is going to tear the Rockets apart. T-Mac is mentally weak and doesn't show up in big games. Jazz in 6.

Kirilenko continues the grand tradition of Jazz floppers...

I believe Utah won that series against Golden State if I am not mistaken...How did the Rockets fare last year in the second round of the playoffs? Oh yeah...I forgot...they didn't make it to the second round because the Jazz beat them in game seven in the Toyota Center. Remember that?

Gosh, you got me there.

If the NBA handed out trophies for second-rounda championships, the Jazz humiliate us!

Flopping only gets you so far, I guess.

The Houston Rockets teams of the past were great. Great players, great coach, class organization. But it's going to be a long time before the Rockets see another championship. T-Mac is a lot like my beloved Karl Malone. I love Malone. He is my all time favorite player. But he just couldn't handle the pressure of the playoffs. He was inconsistent in the playoffs because he wasn't as mentally tough as say, Horry, Kobe, or even Barkley.

The Jazz have never won a championship. Jordan and the Bulls stood in our way both times. But that is the past. I don't think the Jazz will win the championship this year either. But they are getting close. They are a great young team and they are on the cusp. I don't see the Rockets doing it in the T-Mac era.

Just a bit about why a Jazz fan is posting on a Houston Forum. I was raised in Utah and have lived in Houston for five years or so. I root for the Rockets when they play anybody but the Jazz. I am a season ticket holder to the Texans and I love the Astros. But I grew up with the Jazz and they will always be my team. And yes, John Stockton mastered the art of flopping. But the present Jazz teams don't flop like the classic Stockton-Malone era. In my opinion, its the Spurs that have taken the flopping crown away from the Jazz.

Again, Jazz in 6.

The Houston Rockets teams of the past were great. Great players, great coach, class organization. But it's going to be a long time before the Rockets see another championship. T-Mac is a lot like my beloved Karl Malone. I love Malone. He is my all time favorite player. But he just couldn't handle the pressure of the playoffs. He was inconsistent in the playoffs because he wasn't as mentally tough as say, Horry, Kobe, or even Barkley.

The Jazz have never won a championship. Jordan and the Bulls stood in our way both times. But that is the past. I don't think the Jazz will win the championship this year either. But they are getting close. They are a great young team and they are on the cusp. I don't see the Rockets doing it in the T-Mac era.

Just a bit about why a Jazz fan is posting on a Houston Forum. I was raised in Utah and have lived in Houston for five years or so. I root for the Rockets when they play anybody but the Jazz. I am a season ticket holder to the Texans and I love the Astros. But I grew up with the Jazz and they will always be my team. And yes, John Stockton mastered the art of flopping. But the present Jazz teams don't flop like the classic Stockton-Malone era. In my opinion, its the Spurs that have taken the flopping crown away from the Jazz.

Again, Jazz in 6.

I would not hold your breath!!! This is not the same Rockets team, as last year and this is not the same Jazz Team as last year. Yea the Jazz have most of the same players, but as you say they are mentaly weak. They sould have homecourt this year but they mentally fell apart in the games they needed to win. I have complete faith the Rockets will avenget he loss lt . When they run Addlemans offense the Jazz can't stop us. The X-factor here will be Bench play, which i think we are deeper even without Yao.Rockets to watch will be (Landry, Scola, and Brooks)aka the future

Edited by T 2 THA C

Again, Jazz in 6.

Don't disagree with the Jazz in 6 prediction...though I am always cautious when every "expert" at espn is picking the Jazz in 6 or 7... I also think the Spurs have no doubt taken the crown of flopping from the Jazz, though they win championships when they do it....maybe it is just Robert Horry...

I do disagree that the Rockets are very far away from being a championship caliber team. They have some good young talent in Landry and Scola, plus Yao is pretty young and really coming into his own when he is on the court. Shane is a good role player and T-mac is still a great shooting guard especially if he is not the key to your offense in the playoffs and you don't ask him to "take over" games. That leaves the achilles heal of the Rockets which is solid point guard play...the Jazz have Williams who is excellent...Raefer was the key to the Rockets winning streak when he played as well as he possibly can...without him for two games in this series hurts badly (as crazy as that sounds) and as inconsistent as he is, a championship is out of the question. So really, I see the Rockets as one key piece away.

Also, remember we were one of four teams to win in Utah this year (second game of the season but it counts) and we did win 55 games in the Western conference, so don't take us TOO lightly...

Don't disagree with the Jazz in 6 prediction...though I am always cautious when every "expert" at espn is picking the Jazz in 6 or 7... I also think the Spurs have no doubt taken the crown of flopping from the Jazz, though they win championships when they do it....maybe it is just Robert Horry...

I do disagree that the Rockets are very far away from being a championship caliber team. They have some good young talent in Landry and Scola, plus Yao is pretty young and really coming into his own when he is on the court. Shane is a good role player and T-mac is still a great shooting guard especially if he is not the key to your offense in the playoffs and you don't ask him to "take over" games. That leaves the achilles heal of the Rockets which is solid point guard play...the Jazz have Williams who is excellent...Raefer was the key to the Rockets winning streak when he played as well as he possibly can...without him for two games in this series hurts badly (as crazy as that sounds) and as inconsistent as he is, a championship is out of the question. So really, I see the Rockets as one key piece away.

Also, remember we were one of four teams to win in Utah this year (second game of the season but it counts) and we did win 55 games in the Western conference, so don't take us TOO lightly...

Excellent post. I do think Yao is the best center in the league. As long as T-Mac isn't asked to be "the man" perhaps they are closer than I realize (once Yao returns). But I admit, maybe I am taking the Rockets a bit lightly this year. I'd much rather see the Jazz face off against the Rockets than the Spurs. If the Rockets are to beat the Jazz I will man up and take what's coming to me on this forum.

I just don't want to see the Spurs win it again. I can't stand the Spurs.

Go Texans!

Excellent post. I do think Yao is the best center in the league. As long as T-Mac isn't asked to be "the man" perhaps they are closer than I realize (once Yao returns). But I admit, maybe I am taking the Rockets a bit lightly this year. I'd much rather see the Jazz face off against the Rockets than the Spurs. If the Rockets are to beat the Jazz I will man up and take what's coming to me on this forum.

Go Texans!

I think every team in the West was hoping to draw the Rockets or Mavs...especially with Raefer out with a hamstring, McGrady with a sore shoulder, Battier with a bad foot, and Landry with a sore/weak knee...man I am starting to get depressed....doesn't help that Utah is probably the most physical team, even moreso than San Antonio...

Edited by cnote

Again, Jazz in 6.

Do you realize that T-Mac has the highest point jump from the regular season to playoffs of any active NBA player?

Go Texans!

I can respect a true fan of another team. When we took the road trip to Dallas I met some cool Mavs fans. One of the other rowdies had a pony with a nuce around its neck and some Mavs fans were upset to say the least and were looking to start some ish and some other Mavs fans got in the middle and took up for us. We were at the Jack Daniels bar and it was only 4 Rowdies there me him and 2 girls. Yea I rather play the Jazz then Spurs also, so I can repeat with Gene Peterson "Revenge How Sweet It Is". Also look for my sign during the game tomorrow thats what its going to say. Go Rockets!!!! Beat those Jazzholes