Reefmonkey

Eliminate minimum parking requirements?

A few weeks ago, after the city planning commission fielded a proposal to eliminate the minimum parking requirements,  the Houston Chronicle's op-ed voiced its full support for ditching them

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/opinion/editorials/article/Ditch-Houston-s-burdensome-parking-regulations-13220515.php

What do people think of this, is this the way to spur better urban planning and encourage using public transportation, ride sharing, micromobility? Or are they putting the cart before the horse, reducing parking before providing better alternatives to driving yourself?

51 minutes ago, Reefmonkey said:

What do people think of this, is this the way to spur better urban planning and encourage using public transportation, ride sharing, micromobility? Or are they putting the cart before the horse, reducing parking before providing better alternatives to driving yourself?

In this instance, I think the free market is the best way to determine which businesses will be viable with less parking and which neighborhoods have sufficient pedestrian traffic to justify opening a business.
While I have some sympathy for those who have become used to exploiting the free parking in front of their homes, it's time that people understand that on-street parking belongs to everyone. I've lived in several properties where no off-street parking was provided, and I'm pretty sure that my rent would have been higher if it had. 
I'm tired of seeing the fabric of a street torn apart needlessly for parking lots that are never more than half full. 

I think that by allowing developers that optionality, you'll begin to see more creativity to solve the problem. When there was only one option, there wasn't really an incentive to think outside the box.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HNathoo said:

I think that by allowing developers that optionality, you'll begin to see more creativity to solve the problem. When there was only one option, there wasn't really an incentive to think outside the box.

I agree, I think that's a very solid point as to the monotony of development in Houston. This is going to bring some great density to areas of the city that honestly deserve it. 

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 4:20 PM, j_cuevas713 said:

I agree, I think that's a very solid point as to the monotony of development in Houston. This is going to bring some great density to areas of the city that honestly deserve it. 

Any new developments ?

On 10/8/2018 at 3:09 PM, HNathoo said:

Honestly, you could simply pitch this via selfish business terms, and that would be an easy sell. For a city that prides in being easy access to business interests its peculiar that we have a limitation that does the opposite of their MO. Why put such a burdensome requirement that is such a waste of money when that could go into more floors for a building or more retail lease space? If an argument can be pitched with this perspective then its a must. Its way more effective then trying to take the "moral" or "intellectual expert opinion" stance that might cause more resistance to change. It also flys in the face of our no-zoning policy. It we truly want to embrace no-zoning then lets go all the way.

On 1/30/2019 at 5:48 PM, j_cuevas713 said:

Did the city ever vote on this at all? Is there something we don’t know?

I am curious myself. I found the video where they held the public hearing, but could not find the video where they voted on it two weeks later.