I took my own photo of the demolition:

1796488124_9b5f0dcda3_b.jpg

I know this will sound a bit mean hearted, but since I don't have a heart, I don't care. This picture makes me happy. That means that a Pharmacist that worked there isn't there anymore....she was SUCH a pain.

• 1 month later...
I know this will sound a bit mean hearted, but since I don't have a heart, I don't care. This picture makes me happy. That means that a Pharmacist that worked there isn't there anymore....she was SUCH a pain.

From the latest article in the chron, it sounds like that Walgreens is definitely nearing the end of its useful life:

chron article

"The buildings have come down and we'll consider our demo complete in a week or two," said Julie Tysor, vice president of the Appelt Co., general partner of Lamesa. There is still a Walgreens store standing on the site, but that will also be bulldozed to make way for the new development.

After that it will be quiet until the end of January or early February 2008 when foundation work may commence. The entire project, which will consist of two buildings with 207 condominium units, 100,000 square feet of commercial space and an underground parking lot, should take about 36 months to complete.

Hopefully the 36 months figure is for both phases of the development and the first phase will open well before that.

• 2 months later...
They've got what I think is a new video. It shows the middle of the complex where the pool and spa is a lot.

http://sonomainthevillage.com/residential/...ding_Experience

Not bad i guess... Seems a little to exclusive for me. What I did find funny though is that there is an ocean in the background, while the flash presentation does a fly over to the middle of the building.

• 1 month later...
as of the time I drove by (3 hours ago), no. If there was heavy equipment there, it was hidden in the darkness. :(

I drive by periodically since I live close and there has been no sign of construction starting at all. They put some marketing signs up on the corners of the fences surrounding the lot awhile back, but that's it. I noticed that one of the ad's in the paper for Sonoma now quoted a ground breaking of 'Spring 2008'

• 3 weeks later...
indeed5uh.jpg

Yep. It lines up, all right.

Just looking at this project again, I could totally see a significant portion of Kirby one day looking like this from River Oaks down to the Rice Villiage. I could also see Westheimer at Post Oak having a similar type of development.

Anyway, my favorite thing about this proposal is the details in it. I love the structure around the roof. I love that the top of the far left corner of the building looks as if it could be illuminated at night. I love the lamp posts. I love the awnings. Very exciting stuff.

I only hope it can come to pass.

Design question here... Is the "structure around the roof" on the top of this rendering called an "eyebrow"? If so, is it solely for aesthetics? Also, is this a recent trend, architecturally? I believe there is an 'eyebrow' on 2727, Mosaic (both towers), and many other buildings I have seen around the country and in Dubai, if my hypothesis is accurate

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I drive by periodically since I live close and there has been no sign of construction starting at all. They put some marketing signs up on the corners of the fences surrounding the lot awhile back, but that's it. I noticed that one of the ad's in the paper for Sonoma now quoted a ground breaking of 'Spring 2008'

Website now says construction starting in 'Summer 2008'. Tick tock tick tock.... At least they are updating the website though.

• 4 weeks later...
Finalizing some lending specifics is the word...

good news... this is actually one of my favorite projects in the city, right behind regent square. imo, the village area is already the most pedestrian friendly area in houston, and this project will only add to that. let's hope they can get their lending finalized sowe can see this thing come to fruition.

• 2 weeks later...

Developer Breaks Ground on Sonoma

Randall Davis Co. broke ground on Sonoma, a mixed-use, mid-rise condo project near Rice University. The 578,000-sf project includes 213 residential units, 60,000-sf of retail, 43,000 sf of offices, four restaurants, an urban grocer and parking for 1000 cars (McGraw Hill Construction and Real Estate Center 06/10/08).

...just to confirm

Edited by lockmat