If you think this thread got off track, you should see what's happening on the HP thread. People are posting photos of Hogan's Heroes or something. :)

By the way, what exactly is going on at Rice Village? Is there construction or is all the renovation just in the planning stage? As someone who lives close by have you seen anything going on? I haven't been there in years. I remember RV being flat and a little bland. The renderings make it look more lively.

last time i was able to take pictures (a couple weeks ago) there were the big banners, and behind a fence across the street from the first picture, there was a trailer being installed

sonoma001.jpg

sonoma002.jpg

fwiw, i like that old building withe green bricks :blush:

Edited by sevfiv

Guest danax
straight from a bottle of wine!

sonoma003.jpg

I grew up in Sonoma County, maybe that's why it's so cheesy to me....an image and aura created by the advertising and tourism industries.

Bohemians, attorneys (some I'm sure) and hippies might suggest the next county to the north, Mendocino or even the more heady Humboldt County, one more further to the north, where another crop is grown with loving and skilled hands

2wfo5yg.jpg.

Bohemians, attorneys (some I'm sure) and hippies might suggest the next county to the north, Mendocino or even the more heady Humboldt County, one more further to the north, where another crop is grown with loving and skilled hands

of course! - the correction shall be forwarded to Mr. Davis

sonoma004.jpg

:D:ph34r:

Edited by sevfiv

fwiw, i like that old building withe green bricks

Me too. I'm sorry to see it go. It would look a lot better if they would remove those fabric awnings. I wonder how high the floor-to-floor heights are inside? It might make a cool rehab into lofts.

By the way, I fail to see how the Sonoma Wine Country image has anything to do with the Village, or Houston, or Texas, for that matter. Though, the California imagery is indirectly related it to the hideous house that is being constructed down the street from me. I'm calling it the "Anorexic Hacienda."

It shocks me that people that people find this crap attractive, and that they actually pay money for it!

Me too. I'm sorry to see it go. It would look a lot better if they would remove those fabric awnings. I wonder how high the floor-to-floor heights are inside? It might make a cool rehab into lofts.

By the way, I fail to see how the Sonoma Wine Country image has anything to do with the Village, or Houston, or Texas, for that matter. Though, the California imagery is indirectly related it to the hideous house that is being constructed down the street from me. I'm calling it the "Anorexic Hacienda."

It shocks me that people that people find this crap attractive, and that they actually pay money for it!

I am guessing that they are trying to attract some of the many Californians that are moving to the area.

I did not know the were tearing down a tall building for it.

Also I don't see why so many of you are complaining about this, finally a developer wants to build something exciting in Houston and all you guys do is make of excuses on how it will hurt traffic, etc. traffic is what attracts me to a place. If there is a lot of traffic that means its obviously a great place to be. But you guys will probably get your wish, this probably wont go through anyways (just like BLVD and a host of others), and you will be stuck with the cwap thats already there.

I think its great, if a developer wants to come in and improve the area and make it more "UPSCALE" be my guess. Why wouldn't you? :wacko: And you people are the same ones complaining because of other people opinion on Houston and its ugly shopping centers like the one that will be torn down for this. You people will knock down a building built in the 1800s but you want to save a ugly a** 1950s style building. :wacko::wacko:

Edited by danax

You people will knock down a building built in the 1800s but you want to save a ugly a** 1950s style building.

there are a few homeowners of 50's style that would say saving a 50's style structure can be rewarding.

i believe they are closing a street over there as well so traffic will be affected for the worse.

I think the building it's replacing is ugly, the upper stories were abandoned anyways (as far as I could tell), and the building that's replacing it looks much more asthetically pleasing as far as I am concerned. So maybe their marketing is cheesy, but overall, I think it's going to help the village grow into something really cool. As it is, the village isn't much more than a large collection of strip mall type shopping centers. I think the idea of some nice apartments/condos in the village is a good thing.

I think the building it's replacing is ugly, the upper stories were abandoned anyways (as far as I could tell), and the building that's replacing it looks much more asthetically pleasing as far as I am concerned. So maybe their marketing is cheesy, but overall, I think it's going to help the village grow into something really cool. As it is, the village isn't much more than a large collection of strip mall type shopping centers. I think the idea of some nice apartments/condos in the village is a good thing.

Thank you! Finally someone who agrees with me! And Welcome to HAIF!

Thank you! Finally someone who agrees with me! And Welcome to HAIF!

I agree with you too :)

It just seems that some Houstonites have just settled in mediocrity.

I'm usually drawn to fabulous fifties architecture, the crazier the better, but in this case I do think the newer building style looks better. I wouldn't be saying that if RV had been built in grand style, state-of-the-art, googie fashion of the 50's (or whenever it was built). RV doesn't seem to be holding up that well today from the pictures I've seen, beauty-wise.

Edited by Mister X

I agree too. Rice village looks really worn out. This new look will definitely bring more attention to the area.

I'm usually drawn to fabulous fifties architecture, the crazier the better, but in this case I do think the newer building style looks better. I wouldn't be saying that if RV had been built in grand style, state-of-the-art, googie fashion of the 50's (or whenever it was built). RV doesn't seem to be holding up that well today from the pictures I've seen, beauty-wise.

That's pretty cool alright. But certainly not much more original than what's being planned at RV. I still see a bit of 'fakeness' in these photos. It looks like it was designed to look like a little city built to resemble the way cities used to be built. That first photo looks like it could have been taken at Disneyland. It's nice but it's still just a different kind of faux.

Between the 2, I like the stuff in Austin better also, but what they are planning at RV is still better than what's there.

Edited by Mister X

I disagree, its nice that they distinguished each store as a separate looking store front. In the Village, only the signs are different, at least in the new parts. Makes it visually more interesting and scaled for pedestrians.

i think that's what this architecture is. nothing special.
Probably a little off topic: :blush: Gosh, am I the only person that finds Houston's skyline breathtaking?? I have lived in Houston off and on since 1963 and have always loved the city. I have lived in Chicago also and enjoyed my time there, but I moved to Houston from Chicago where it was -16F, January 1963, arrived in Houston where the temp was 65F, I think that's when I fell in love. :rolleyes: I love this forum, keep up the good work.

I disagree, its nice that they distinguished each store as a separate looking store front. In the Village, only the signs are different, at least in the new parts. Makes it visually more interesting and scaled for pedestrians.

you have to remember the austin project was put farther out so it could be planned from the start. a project such as this can't be put in the middle of a populated area. this will never be possible with rice village.

The Austin thing is cute, but it's not exactly cutting edge. Seems a little on the wannabee side too. That car-less, people filled street is too fake looking to be considered anything but dumb-downed. I see parking spaces but no cars - what gives?

Edited by Mister X

The Austin thing is cute, but it's not exactly cutting edge. Seems a little on the wannabee side too. That car-less, people filled street is too fake looking to be considered anything but dumb-downed. I see parking spaces but no cars - what gives?

Handicapped spaces.

I signed up for Sonoma's First Choice Club, although I have no intention of buying. Here is an email from Randall Davis below concerning the upcoming party for people who registered. The thing that gets me is the $4000 NON-REFUNDABLE deposit that is required to get the first crack at the units. Granted, you get $25,000 off the asking price.

-----------------------

Sonoma - Rice Village

April 5, 2007

Dear Sonoma First Choice Club Members:

Invites have been printed and are in the mail for the invitation only party for First Choice Club Members, on Tuesday April 17th @ 5:30pm, at 2401 Bolsover. Response has been overwhelming as we have over 600 people who have signed up to attend this function. In that regard, I provide the following additional information regarding the party and the development effort.

All First Choice Club Members tendering a $4,000 non-refundable option money check will receive a $25,000 discount off of the purchase price. It is important to note that we have provided an estimated AVERAGE purchase price PER SQUARE FOOT of the condominiums at Sonoma. Obviously, corners and prime views sell for considerably more than average, while lower floors and moderate views sell will for a lesser price per square foot.

The estimated purchase price per square foot at Cosmopolitan was within 3% of the beginning selling price. At Diamond Beach, I over estimated the average purchase price by $20 per square foot. The process of obtaining a permit and a fixed price from the general contractor for a development that encompasses office, retail, residential and underground parking, is extremely complex. We should have your pricing, allow for the selection of units and the execution of earnest money contracts in September/October of 2007.

You will receive, in advance of this date, draft copies of the HOA documents and the earnest money contracts for your perusal.There are 125 condominiums in Phase 1 and 100 in Phase 2. If we receive enough deposits at the First Choice Club Opening (April 17th) and the Grand Opening Party on April 19th, two days later, whereby we are sending out 4,500 invitations, probability is very high that we will build the entire development at one time. Therefore, purchasers will be allowed to choose from 225 condominiums if sales are within our development objectives.

When you arrive at the party, you may obtain an option form or simply have it filled out (available below) before you arrive. Do not be overly concerned if you receive a higher priority number, because 1) historically some option buyers forfeit their money due to change in circumstances or 2) there is a probability that the 225 condominiums may be constructed at once. Once again, buyers are assigned their selection numbers in the order in which their option form is tendered at the party, come early.

At the party you will not only have the opportunity to obtain floor plans and view a scale model. There will also be two complete kitchens and bathrooms on display. More importantly, early buyers who tender option money and execute contracts in September/October, will be afforded the opportunity to further customize their residence to their own personal taste. Later purchasers will not be afforded this opportunity as construction will commence and the general contractor will not be able to make adjustments.

I look forward to seeing you at the First Choice Club Party on April 17th from 5:30 to 8:30pm. For those of you that are serious buyers, I advise you to bring a check. For those of you that are just interested in details of the development, I invite you to have wine and hors d'oevres and enjoy the party. Either way, I will be seeing you at the Grand Opening Party for the First Choice Club Members of Sonoma.

Randall Davis

P.S. Sales Managers, Gloria and Keith, are available to answer your questions at (713)524-0444. You may also elect to visit the sales center, which officially opens for business April 18, 2007

Handicapped spaces.

Yeah, but is that a real street or just a wide walkway designed to look like a street? I mean there isn't a car in any of those photos. And in one photo, people are walking in the "street". That's why I was thinking that it looked like Main Street at Disneyland. :) Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against it, it's pretty and practical, but I wouldn't be using this place as an example of anti-fake anti-wannabee architecture.

Edited by Mister X

I signed up for Sonoma's First Choice Club, although I have no intention of buying. Here is an email from Randall Davis below concerning the upcoming party for people who registered. The thing that gets me is the $4000 NON-REFUNDABLE deposit that is required to get the first crack at the units. Granted, you get $25,000 off the asking price.

-----------------------

Sonoma - Rice Village

April 5, 2007

Dear Sonoma First Choice Club Members:

Invites have been printed and are in the mail for the invitation only party for First Choice Club Members, on Tuesday April 17th @ 5:30pm, at 2401 Bolsover. Response has been overwhelming as we have over 600 people who have signed up to attend this function. In that regard, I provide the following additional information regarding the party and the development effort.

All First Choice Club Members tendering a $4,000 non-refundable option money check will receive a $25,000 discount off of the purchase price. It is important to note that we have provided an estimated AVERAGE purchase price PER SQUARE FOOT of the condominiums at Sonoma. Obviously, corners and prime views sell for considerably more than average, while lower floors and moderate views sell will for a lesser price per square foot.

The estimated purchase price per square foot at Cosmopolitan was within 3% of the beginning selling price. At Diamond Beach, I over estimated the average purchase price by $20 per square foot. The process of obtaining a permit and a fixed price from the general contractor for a development that encompasses office, retail, residential and underground parking, is extremely complex. We should have your pricing, allow for the selection of units and the execution of earnest money contracts in September/October of 2007.

You will receive, in advance of this date, draft copies of the HOA documents and the earnest money contracts for your perusal.There are 125 condominiums in Phase 1 and 100 in Phase 2. If we receive enough deposits at the First Choice Club Opening (April 17th) and the Grand Opening Party on April 19th, two days later, whereby we are sending out 4,500 invitations, probability is very high that we will build the entire development at one time. Therefore, purchasers will be allowed to choose from 225 condominiums if sales are within our development objectives.

When you arrive at the party, you may obtain an option form or simply have it filled out (available below) before you arrive. Do not be overly concerned if you receive a higher priority number, because 1) historically some option buyers forfeit their money due to change in circumstances or 2) there is a probability that the 225 condominiums may be constructed at once. Once again, buyers are assigned their selection numbers in the order in which their option form is tendered at the party, come early.

At the party you will not only have the opportunity to obtain floor plans and view a scale model. There will also be two complete kitchens and bathrooms on display. More importantly, early buyers who tender option money and execute contracts in September/October, will be afforded the opportunity to further customize their residence to their own personal taste. Later purchasers will not be afforded this opportunity as construction will commence and the general contractor will not be able to make adjustments.

I look forward to seeing you at the First Choice Club Party on April 17th from 5:30 to 8:30pm. For those of you that are serious buyers, I advise you to bring a check. For those of you that are just interested in details of the development, I invite you to have wine and hors d'oevres and enjoy the party. Either way, I will be seeing you at the Grand Opening Party for the First Choice Club Members of Sonoma.

Randall Davis

P.S. Sales Managers, Gloria and Keith, are available to answer your questions at (713)524-0444. You may also elect to visit the sales center, which officially opens for business April 18, 2007

maybe i missed something but did they mention when they'd start construction. i've driven past that area numerous times and it still seems like the complaints and traffic issues are a concern.

• 3 weeks later...

Story in April 22, Sunday, 2007 Houston Chronicle:

April 21, 2007, 1:21AM

They want to break ice, then break ground

Developers host sales parties as they hope to win project's approval

By NANCY SARNOFF

Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

The developers of a controversial mixed-use project in Rice Village kicked off an aggressive sales program last week with two swanky cocktail parties for prospective buyers interested in living above boutiques and restaurants in a Mediterranean style building.

The proposed development, called Sonoma, will have 225 high-end condos and 125,000 square feet of retail and office space on both sides of Bolsover Street between Morningside and Kelvin.

Link

There's a quote further down the article where Randall Davis says: "It's not something I've done before. I've gone through great lengths to study the Mediterranean feel and bring it to the condominiums."

This is after Nancy provided a list of amenities that include koi ponds! :lol:

...looks like they're shooting for a September 2007 start.

• 3 months later...
The sale and abandonment of the 2400 block of Bolsover Street in Rice Village to developer Lamesa has finally made it to Wednesday's City Council agenda.

The first opportunity for residents to speak before City Council on the matter is tomorrow at 2 p.m.

Lamesa wants the street to become an open pedestrian area separating phases one and two of its mixed-use condo and commercial development

http://blogs.chron.com/centralhouston/

looks like the chron has a different viewpoint and many "urban wannabees" would not agree.

Keep Bolsover

It's bad policy to sell useful public land without a compelling need.

In the coming days City Council members should consider the following arguments, many voiced by nearby residents, against the sale:

Edited by musicman