Well, I'm still pretty young. But I'd be surprised if Kirby has many single-story retail left within 10-15 years.

Lets be realistic. Developers can't do very much at all with less than an acre or two. There aren't many such parcels in Rice Village.

It's be great if there were some sort of algorithm to assemble parcels based upon common ownership or high-turnover parcels or parcels owned by elderly people or entities controlled by elderly people (hint, hint, to any aspiring real estate consultants with a software engineering background), but from the looks of it, the circumstances are bleak.

Haha, well, I may be exaggerating just a little bit about my expectations for Kirby. But it's plain as day to anyone that it's one of the main areas of redevelopment in the city.

Anyway, I am going to take some time off from HAIF. It keeps getting in the way of some real work I need to finish. I'll be back soon.

• 3 weeks later...

They had a rendering before their BLVD Place rendering was linked. I should have grabbed it, darn. Oh well, I think the reason why I didn't is because it looked so much like the one in Rice Village.

Anyway, I doubt we'll hear anything on this for a while, but I'll go ahead and get the thread started. What do yall think of the location? I don't think most will think this is big news. It's replacing existing apartments and not it's not the most interesting location.

http://www.hanoverco...west-university

hanover%2520west%2520u2.JPG

• Like 2

It's a great location for an apt. complex.

For one I would love to live across the street from Marquis II... that way after my night is ruined from a Texas tea or 2 I am in little to no danger.

While it doesn't do much for the urban "feel" of the area, it is probably one of few large plots of land available in the area.

• Like 1

OMG OMG OMG... this is on Bissonnet.. That road is totally unsuitable for any sort of multi-family development. Somebody call the Ashby Nazis.

Yeah, there are a ton of similarities between the two locations other than the following;

Bissonnet has four lanes and dedicated turning lanes at this location compared to just two lanes near Ashby.

The Ashby "nazis" aren't anti-aparment. In fact, they've been living next to apartments for decades.

The area where this Hanover project is, would be an EXCELLENT place for a highrise, with Bissonnet and Kirby being wide boulevards and there'd be easy freeway access to the east and west.

The Hanover proposal is for a midrise in the middle of a commercial area whereas the Ashby proposal is for a skyscraper in the middle of two of the most historic and deed restricted neighborhoods in Houston.

But, if making snide comments that aren't grounded in any sort of truth is your thing, have at it...

• Like 1

The Hanover proposal is for a midrise in the middle of a commercial area whereas the Ashby proposal is for a skyscraper in the middle of two of the most historic and deed restricted neighborhoods in Houston.

How can the Ashby site be 'in the middle of two neighborhoods' at the same time? I don't think geometry works that way.

Nope. It's on a boundary between multiple neighborhoods, on unrestricted land with a non-conforming use along a major thoroughfare that has numerous other parcels with non-conforming uses.

Edited by TheNiche

Wait, did someone just call Ashby high rise a skyscraper?

Aren't skyscrapers usually over 500-600 feet at least? LOL

According to Wikipedia:

A relatively small building may be considered a skyscraper if it protrudes well above its built environment and changes the overall skyline.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skyscraper

But perhaps high-rise is more appropriate in this case.

In any case, if this POS was being built next to my house I'd probably refer to it as a skyscraper too. Or maybe even a supertall.

• Like 2

According to Wikipedia:

A relatively small building may be considered a skyscraper if it protrudes well above its built environment and changes the overall skyline.

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Skyscraper

But perhaps high-rise is more appropriate in this case.

In any case, if this POS was being built next to my house I'd probably refer to it as a skyscraper too. Or maybe even a supertall.

Very strange definition. There are skyscrapers downtown, but I guess they aren't considered skyscrapers since they aren't "well above their built environment."

None the less, Ashby is a big improvement over those POS apartments.

• Like 1

He left out much of the context of that "definition". In fact, that was not a definition at all, but an example explaining the lack of a concise definition.

But, since MikeHouston wishes to infer that Ashby is a skyscraper, I propose we rename it 'Burj Ashby' in his honor.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Drove by today, and I must say that this is an absolute game changer for Houston, plus it compliments West Ave further down Kirby. I was in absolute awe, and trust me when I say, the more these dense mixed use developments get built, the better for Houston. They add so much to an area its unbelievable. With the addition of BLVD Place, Regent Square, and River Oaks District, Houston is going to be a home run urban city with nice organic infill like Rice Village.

• Like 1

WOW! Its much bigger than I thought! I will bet that many of the long time retailers in Rice Village will move in to this development. I wouldn't be supprised if much of Rice Village isn't demolished infavor of more urban development like this.

All depends on if the rent is competitive. By the way, much of Rice Village has already been demolished over the last 20 years. For better or worse, I'll let you decide.

Drove by today, and I must say that this is an absolute game changer for Houston, plus it compliments West Ave further down Kirby. I was in absolute awe, and trust me when I say, the more these dense mixed use developments get built, the better for Houston. They add so much to an area its unbelievable. With the addition of BLVD Place, Regent Square, and River Oaks District, Houston is going to be a home run urban city with nice organic infill like Rice Village.

Yes, the development of the inner Houston/Loop and projects like these are catching many people's attention. I spoke to someone that works for Archstone here in LA who stated that they will be developing 2 projects in the loop area and will keep this in their area of focus.

Edited by JJVilla

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Some updates by me from a bike ride:

8189669216_ab9a45344c_b.jpg

IMAG0468 by dv1033, on Flickr

8189668882_d97a2be6b0_b.jpg

IMAG0469 by dv1033, on Flickr

8188588779_4747efd6b2_b.jpg

IMAG0470 by dv1033, on Flickr

8188588393_b7bdaa9f67_b.jpg

IMAG0471 by dv1033, on Flickr

8189667472_8a9d0dd16d_b.jpg

IMAG0473 by dv1033, on Flickr

8188587287_7efa8fb41d_b.jpg

IMAG0474 by dv1033, on Flickr

8189666848_5703921fe9_b.jpg

IMAG0475 by dv1033, on Flickr

8189666524_9ee1576dc0_b.jpg

IMAG0477 by dv1033, on Flickr

8188586231_c86b365755_b.jpg

IMAG0478 by dv1033, on Flickr

8189665742_22b2484206_b.jpg

IMAG0479 by dv1033, on Flickr

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
The weather and lighting was somewhat bad, here are some random updates by me:

Ashton @ Rice Village is one of my favorite projects and it's getting close to completion. 

8420506071_9df52177d5_b.jpg

IMAG0493 by dv1033, on Flickr

8421601902_e9bbbbf3e6_b.jpg

IMAG0494 by dv1033, on Flickr

Some mixed use

8421600068_52e3d5c02d_b.jpg

IMAG0499 by dv1033, on Flickr

New sidewalks

8421599646_80c3d37672_b.jpg

IMAG0500 by dv1033, on Flickr

8420503025_45f1375961_b.jpg

IMAG0501 by dv1033, on Flickr

Phase 2 would be at the far end on the left

8420502529_1f0d56eb90_b.jpg

IMAG0502 by dv1033, on Flickr

Bonus update:

Children Assessment Center (CAC) is where sexually abused children and their families go for haven and help is undergoing an expansion. It will consist of a parking garage (well underway) and about double the space. It across the street from the apartment complex. 

Construction site rendering

8420505161_1ca8b4b9d5_b.jpg

IMAG0495 by dv1033, on Flickr

8420504919_978b35c5ae_b.jpg

IMAG0496 by dv1033, on Flickr

8420504271_21cec72928_b.jpg

IMAG0498 by dv1033, on Flickr

8420501837_39df09888e_b.jpg

IMAG0504 by dv1033, on Flickr
  • Like 4

Does anyone know if Walgreens is going in the Hanover?

Initially, the Walgreens that was torn down was said to be going in to the new development but I haven't seen any signs that they plan to... I hate the CVS in the Village. It's a dump. Would love to be able to walk to a Walgreens.

• Like 1