When you walk around a city like Boston or New York or Chicago, isn't it the mixture and close juxtaposition of buildings from different periods that makes it so exciting? When you try to have everything one style, it ends up looking like Sugarland.

We don't have to worry here about looking like Sugarland. I think our Downtown has a good blend, and that is purely a market driven effect.

But most US cities seem to have a hundred or more designated landmarks to ensure a nice mix. Can we count on a pure profit motive to do that?

Houston did just pass that landmark ordinance that is voluntary but will stay with the building as it changes hands. It might be considered soft by some but I think it's fair. In a century or so, we might have a decent collection...............of early 21st century townhomes anyway.

We're drifting off topic though. Rice Village would've been one worth saving...somehow.

But if political groups are able to muster enough interest to get their neighborhood protected under a preservation ordinance, then they are no longer "special interests" but "the market".

Since when do politicians become or define the market? The people are the market. I can think of numerous examples of politicians that go against the will of the people. You probably can, too.

From what I've seen and read, a lot of the areas that have a historic designation end up going up in value and becoming islands of high-desirablity.

Old housing build for the middle-class can be turned around like this. But I'd doubt that shotgun shacks (old housing built for poor people) will ever get the same treatment. There are numerous neighborhoods that may be historic, but that can never be quaint in their current form.

The dynamic juxtapositions usually work out, but an entire city of them borders on visual chaos. Wouldn't a little continuity bring some calm relief?

I prefer things just the way they are, thank you very much. If you want continuity, repetition, predictability, move to the burbs. I like having surprises around every corner.

And come on, do I need to explain how a city can have taste?

Yeah, you are going to have to explain this one. It is one thing if a design team works on a single project. It is a whole other thing when a million property owners have their own little thing going. Having a few folks at the City level in charge of 'aesthetics' just means less variety. I'd rather see that money put toward infrastructure improvements. Culverts, sidewalks, street repairs, street lighting, etc. That's a creative process rather than a restrictive one.

too far to be significant for this development. (in reference to the Univ rail line)

In fact, the existing rail line is probably closer. You just have to walk a mile (or something) from Main/Fannin.

In fact, the existing rail line is probably closer. You just have to walk a mile (or something) from Main/Fannin.

Oh yes, it's a lovely walk from the rice station down a lovely tree covered path where you can watch the co-eds bounce by in their (mostly) taunt bodies, then you go past greenbriar and you're almost there! :)

Tell ya one thing, one of those pedia cabs will make some bucks once that development is complete.

• 4 months later...

I use to live in a duplex style apartment near the Contemporary Arts Museum off of Bayard when I lived in Houston, only a block or two from the rail line, and that walk was hell.

That pic Pumapayam uses above gets me every time. Man, that's funny.

The Pre-sales ads typically mean they are trying to get a certain number of contracts (not reservations like 2727, but i digress) so they can move forward with construction. I called number and spoke to sales lady who tells me actual project launch is in March. Lots of buzz on this project though. Hope it goes!

• 4 weeks later...

So what. Is this project dead? I thought construction was supposed to in the near future. Has anyone heard any promising news?

Edited by C2H

So what. Is this project dead? I thought construction was supposed to in the near future. Has anyone heard any promising news?

Randall Davis has such a succesful track record that he has a hoard of investors following him anywhere he goes - of course when I say succesful I'm talking about the investor point of view, and NOT the architectural point of view!!!

That rendering from the ZCA postcard shown above is over two years old. In the meantime, he must have done his due dilligence, refined his market study, talked to his investors and his lenders, redesigned the building to look like the newer rendering (based on the market response) and finally launched his website and presales effort, which is probably a requiremnt from the lenders.

As ugly as most of his buildings are (yes, that is my opinion) at least he knows what he's doing. I would say that if he's gotten this far in the course of two years it means the project is definetly not dead.

From the article:

"I just hope that it doesn't attract people who are going to stay up all night driving down our streets keeping everybody awake," [Joe Hightower, vice president of the Southampton Place Extension Property Owner's Association] says.

So let's get this logic right.

The Village is home to lots of bars & restaurants.

The developer puts up a sign hoping to appeal to customers who might like to live near said bars & restaurants.

...And the civic club guy is worried that the sign is going to attract the wrong kind of people to his neighborhood?

it's just a corny advertisement

Bill Fogarty of local ad agency Fogarty Klein Monroe sees the sign as an effort to define Sonoma's market.

"That sign tells me that the project is being built to appeal to people who follow a certain lifestyle because bohemians and hippies follow similar lifestyles, and I guess adding attorneys implies that they recognize that attorneys have the income to live there," Fogarty says.

:rolleyes:

i think this one is the one to be worried about, though:

We didn't create West U living, we're just perfecting it

Edited by sevfiv

The Rice Village Arcade is NOT in West U. It is in the City of Houston!

As for the parking, do you really think parking will continue to be a breeze as Houston continues to grow? It's about the easiest big city in the country to drive in but it wont be for much longer as we add an estimated 3 million more people to the metro in the next 25 years. Of course, I also don't think it's such a bad thing for parking to become harder. People will just have to make choices on where to live and shop and developers will have to start building things beyond the faux Spanish strip mall and big box developments!

As for the parking, do you really think parking will continue to be a breeze as Houston continues to grow? It's about the easiest big city in the country to drive in but it wont be for much longer as we add an estimated 3 million more people to the metro in the next 25 years. Of course, I also don't think it's such a bad thing for parking to become harder. People will just have to make choices on where to live and shop and developers will have to start building things beyond the faux Spanish strip mall and big box developments!

i agree that parking will become more critical and choices will have to be made by consumers. I know i usually stay clear of the village for that reason except for a couple of restaurants i frequent with their own parking. parking will be around as long as the car is.

we were at the dietrich's on montrose a few weeks ago and people were complaining about the parking situation there.

Edited by musicman

aren't the children of the sixties now attorneys, ad execs, investment bankers and so on? i think the advertisement is meant to provoke feelings of nostalgia to those who once were bohemian or hippie, and who can now afford a high standard of living. the responses by the civic associations were missing the point.

aren't the children of the sixties now attorneys, ad execs, investment bankers and so on? i think the advertisement is meant to provoke feelings of nostalgia to those who once were bohemian or hippie, and who can now afford a high standard of living. the responses by the civic associations were missing the point.

Ditto. Bohemians and hippies can't afford this place.

• 1 month later...

I really cannot get excited about this project. Traffic and parking are already ridiculous in the Village. Also, as in many of Randall Davis's other developments, the architecture is cheesy to the point of being downright ugly. The development will definitely put another nail in the coffin of the Village's unique character, but it will probably be financially successful - the sole virtue to which all Houston commercial buildings aspire. <_<

I really cannot get excited about this project. Traffic and parking are already ridiculous in the Village. Also, as in many of Randall Davis's other developments, the architecture is cheesy to the point of being downright ugly. The development will definitely put another nail in the coffin of the Village's unique character, but it will probably be financially successful - the sole virtue to which all Houston commercial buildings aspire. <_<

I completely agree. This will turn into another ugly, banal enclave for those who wish to spend big bucks on poor quality. Again, don't 'cha just love Houston developers. "Please, give us your first born for mediocrity. For mediocrity's sake...."

Edited by Subdude
Language

My only real concern is the traffic flow in the area, the parking will be resolved after the construction is complete, it will be interesting to see what traffic solutions are going to be implemented in the area.

I'm not really for or against the project specifically, but I do think that it will bring some a positive change in Rice that will probably occur to the rest of the village over the next couple of decades.

I completely agree. This will turn into another ugly, banal enclave for those who wish to spend big bucks on poor quality. Again, don't 'cha just love Houston developers. "Please, give us your first born for mediocrity. For mediocrity's sake...."

This overgeneralization isn't fair at all. Houston-based developers have and continue to build top-notch projects here and elsewhere. Finger and Hanover are 2 of the top multifamily developers around, building interesting luxurious apartments. Borlenghi has done some nice stuff, as have many others. and lest we forget Hines. Sure, Houston developers also build some crap, but the quality of product produced by many Houston developers stacks up with anybody out there.