Sign in to follow this  
CrockpotandGravel

2402 Austin Street

Discussions on 2404 Austin St from More coming to Midtown thread.

On 5/29/2018 at 9:37 AM, phillip_white said:

Going in next to Midtown Common at what is currently the Fast Traffic body shop. Article says it should be open by late summer 2018.

Dubbed Next Level, a 7,000-square-foot esports and gaming venue will open in late summer in Midtown at 2402 Austin St., according to a press release. Investment costs for the multilevel facility will be between $325,000 and $340,000, a spokesperson said

Currently, the ownership group — which consists of “lifelong gamers with regular day jobs” — have committed $230,000 and secured an additional $45,000 from investors, the spokesperson said. But to get to their monetary goal, they have started a crowdsourcing campaign on Indiegogo to raise $65,000.

“We want to create a place that offers a great gaming experience, but more importantly, we want to create a home for our gaming community,” principal owner Njsane Courtney, who is a human resources executive with over 15 years of experience including helping startups, said in the release. “Given our community’s size and the enthusiasm of the gaming community here, we’re excited to provide a true gaming haven to Houston.” 

Design plans so far include:

• 40 gaming PCs
  • 12 or more gaming consoles such as PS4 and Xbox
  • Virtual reality gaming rigs
  • Competition stage 
  • Custom tabletop gaming tables in a special tabletop-focused area.
  • Full bar with food 

Construction on the building’s remodel is expected to begin next month, according to a Facebook post. Castile LLC is the general contractor, and the architect is Katy-based DWP Architects, the spokesperson said.

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2018/05/25/esports-arena-to-open-in-midtown-in-houston.html

On 5/29/2018 at 3:09 PM, Diaspora said:

Will be an interesting to watch the transition from one of the last standing automotive repair hubs in Midtown to gamer mecca.

On 5/30/2018 at 10:55 AM, j_cuevas713 said:

Woah this is HUGE! Can we get a new thread for just that?

More on Next Level ESports, replacing the Fast Traffic Autoworks warehouse in Midtown at 2402 Austin St.

From Swamplot:

Now gunning for Fast Traffic Auto Workshop’s garage and adjoining apartment on Austin St.: Next Level, Houston’s second planned but not-yet-open eSports venue. Following the auto shop owner’s retirement, the competitive videogaming hub has plans to stock the place with virtual reality gaming rigs, 40 PC setups, and a dozen or more gaming consoles — all of which will plug in somewhere between a planned competition stage, full bar, and “custom tabletop gaming tables” for lower-tech games.

More here:

http://swamplot.com/let-the-video-games-begin-in-fast-traffics-midtown-garage-and-apartment-on-austin-st/2018-05-29/

Shoot. I was looking forward to seeing this block revitalized. First the Midtown Common project went kaput, and now this. 
Hopefully, the nearby developments of apartments will attract enough residents to make this property irresistible to developers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dbigtex56 said:

Shoot. I was looking forward to seeing this block revitalized. First the Midtown Common project went kaput, and now this. 
Hopefully, the nearby developments of apartments will attract enough residents to make this property irresistible to developers.

Are you referring to the low income apartments planned for the Midtown Common lot? I'm sure the same NIMBY townhome owners that are actively fighting the Austin Street bikeway will try to kill that as well.

3 hours ago, phillip_white said:

Are you referring to the low income apartments planned for the Midtown Common lot? I'm sure the same NIMBY townhome owners that are actively fighting the Austin Street bikeway will try to kill that as well.

No, I meant the Camden McGowen Station, Caden 2850 Fannin, and whatever this one is called these days (Formerly Milhaus). 
My understanding is that both market rate and low income apartments would be contained in the proposed Caroline Lofts. I wish the NIMBY types would instead assume a "the more, the merrier" attitude, or move somewhere more suitable to their way of thinking (i.e., outside the Loop. WAY outside).
Also, I'm a bit vague on how much of the block the Caroline Lofts would occupy. Would the north portion (Phase II of Midtown Commons) still be open for development?

Posted (edited)
On 4/10/2019 at 9:48 AM, dbigtex56 said:

I'm kinda glad it failed because to be honest I didn't see the sustainability of having a bunch of bars in this part of Midtown that in my opinion would cater to more drunk people on the roads right next to Caroline St. with the planned bike lane. This area seems better suited for small cafes and restaurants.

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 2