CrockpotandGravel

2404 Austin Street

A discussion on this property has been ongoing in the More coming to Midtown thread.  For the sake of keeping everything related to a specific property in one place, here is a thread devoted to 2404 Austin Street in Midtown.

2404 Austin St in Midtown Houston

c5u07db.jpg

From RealtyTrac.com:

2404 Austin St is a miscellaneous (commercial) located in Houston, TX 77004. Built in 1959, this property features 5,000 sq ft lot, and 2,964 sq ft of living space.
https://www.realtytrac.com/property/tx/houston/77004/2404-austin-st/165081260

Photo from 2005 on Loopnet:

LOgwKIh.jpg

More recent photo from Google Maps of the building when it was the CORE Church Midtown:

2xeOajG.jpg

ZqS5Ncb.jpg

Discussions on 2404 Austin St from More coming to Midtown thread.

On 7/3/2018 at 10:34 AM, corbs315 said:

Couple things I noticed on the permitting website today:

Something called "The Gypsy Poet" marked as a remodel on 2404 Austin (the old Core Church)

On 8/27/2018 at 0:53 PM, phillip_white said:

I found a website for The Gypsy Poet:

http://thegypsypoetstudio.com/

Looks like it's going to be an artsy cafe.

On 8/27/2018 at 1:00 PM, corbs315 said:

Cool! That area could use a cafe.

On 8/27/2018 at 1:34 PM, chuck101 said:

can't wait for The Gypsy Poet!  Right up my alley :)

21 hours ago, phillip_white said:

I spoke to the people at the Dog Boarding/Training facility across the street and their realtor confirmed that a pizza place is going in at 2404 Austin.

This was on the Gypsy Poet Instagram story this morning:

https://flic.kr/p/PjenVG

Slow moving, but progress being made.

Church becomes a bar.  Just as the Christ Scientist church downtown became an EDM Club.  Soon, when the Catholic Church completes it's auto-annihilation, the Co-Cathedral will serve as a most awesome disco. 

1 hour ago, _nataliepw said:

TABC signage up for The Gypsy Poet! Story added to it’s Instagram page @thegypsypoetstudio 

Thanks. I took a screenshot, but forgot to post.

44501676834_81f74fa526_b.jpg

2 hours ago, Naviguessor said:

Church becomes a bar.  Just as the Christ Scientist church downtown became an EDM Club.  Soon, when the Catholic Church completes it's auto-annihilation, the Co-Cathedral will serve as a most awesome disco. 

And one of the Baptist megachurches could transition to a sex robot brothel of the kind that recently sent our municipal elected officials into a pre-emptive spasm of pearl-clutching. On second thought, Lakewood would work just as well, and have the added benefit of returning the building to something a bit closer to its roots as the Summit. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Another Instagram story photo, with this one showing 3 different types of pizzas. I took a screenshot, but too lazy to post right now. Let me know if you're interested and I will post later.

They recently installed a grease trap and appear to be working on finish out of the interior now. Supposedly going to be open by the end of March.

• Like 2

@corbs315, click the instagram link in my post above. The last clip shows what appears to be a very large AC unit going onto the building.

My guess is they're delayed, not gone.

• Like 1

Insta story 30 minutes ago saying opening soon too. Sorry for my earlier panic!😂

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, corbs315 said:

Insta story 30 minutes ago saying opening soon too. Sorry for my earlier panic!😂

The photo from the video of The Gypsy Poet Studio from Instagram stories today:

8BAK7LQ.jpg?1

• Like 3

Lots of activity on their instagram account lately, including confirmation of the previously noted soft opening on June 7th, 5pm-10pm! 

• Like 2

Good and unique pies. Will be curious to see what they do pricing-wise - right now they are more expensive than, say, Dolce Vita. Will be interesting to see if they can carve themselves a niche. Pizza is a hard business to figure out I'd think.

Posted (edited)

congrats.gif

^^^ @thegypsypoet. upon your opening!  please do not hesitate to ALERT US of your official GRAND OPENING... i shall like to stop by...

Edited by gclass
  • Like 1

Ordered a pizza (to go) last weekend and was very satisfied with both the quality and price. 

• Like 1

Completed transformation of the previous CORE Church Midtown at 2404 Austin St in Houston, which is now the Gypsy Poet.

Photos are from Yelp.

Exterior

vVqAAG9.jpg

E6tCJsM.jpg

Interior

ImvDaGk.jpg

WORk3tV.jpg

uDy1Gwt.jpg

• Like 2