House In Katy At 2 Hilshire Green Dr.

Reefmonkey

This is a house that happened to catch my eye as I was driving northbound on Wirt between I-10 and Westview:

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7883189,-95.4852996,3a,75y,3.27h,81.68t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sW4KsuF9-j_OA-jt2mDP6pA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I've often thought that architectural choices in the Memorial Villages demonstrate the old adage that money doesn't buy taste. One pet peeve of mine is homes that choose a particular vernacular style that doesn't fit with its surroundings, both natural and manmade. Particularly, the proliferation of Mediterranean-style houses in the Villages. Obviously Mediterranean-style houses look most congruous in semiarid environments similar to the Mediterranean, like the Southwest, Southern California, even the Hill Country; they can work for a Miami-style look with a lot of lush tropical landscaping, but again natural surroundings as well as nearby buildings need to be taken into consideration. Trying to shoehorn a Mediterranean-style house in to the Villages, surrounded by mostly traditional American styles and a dense mixed pine-broadleaf temperate riparian forest is usually a fail IMO.

As bad as I think Mediterranean houses look in that area, I never thought I'd see someone try to get away with an honest-to-goodness full-on adobe-style house, straight out of Santa Fe, complete with viga poles at roofline. Or should I say little stumps glued on at the roofline to look like viga pole ends, most of which have fallen or rotted off (not surprising given Houston's wet climate.)

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/24/2018 at 11:14 AM, Reefmonkey said:

This is a house that happened to catch my eye as I was driving northbound on Wirt between I-10 and Westview:

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7883189,-95.4852996,3a,75y,3.27h,81.68t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sW4KsuF9-j_OA-jt2mDP6pA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I've often thought that architectural choices in the Memorial Villages demonstrate the old adage that money doesn't buy taste. One pet peeve of mine is homes that choose a particular vernacular style that doesn't fit with its surroundings, both natural and manmade. Particularly, the proliferation of Mediterranean-style houses in the Villages. Obviously Mediterranean-style houses look most congruous in semiarid environments similar to the Mediterranean, like the Southwest, Southern California, even the Hill Country; they can work for a Miami-style look with a lot of lush tropical landscaping, but again natural surroundings as well as nearby buildings need to be taken into consideration. Trying to shoehorn a Mediterranean-style house in to the Villages, surrounded by mostly traditional American styles and a dense mixed pine-broadleaf temperate riparian forest is usually a fail IMO.

As bad as I think Mediterranean houses look in that area, I never thought I'd see someone try to get away with an honest-to-goodness full-on adobe-style house, straight out of Santa Fe, complete with viga poles at roofline. Or should I say little stumps glued on at the roofline to look like viga pole ends, most of which have fallen or rotted off (not surprising given Houston's wet climate.)

Thats not Mediterranean at all in any shape or form. Other than that I agree with this statement.

On 10/3/2018 at 3:29 PM, Luminare said:

Thats not Mediterranean at all in any shape or form. Other than that I agree with this statement.

I didn't say it was Mediterranean, I was saying all the Mediterranean houses in the Memorial area are bad enough because that style doesn't really fit there, but this adobe house is even worse, because the adobe style is even MORE unsuitable for the area than the Mediterranean style.

• The title was changed to 2 Hilshire Green Dr. House In Katy
  • The title was changed to House In Katy At 2 Hilshire Green Dr.

Archived