Sakowitz Building

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't there already an AT&T store a block away? In the corner of the Reliant Building?
The ATT store in the Reliant building in now gone. Where? Don't know.
Ok......it is not going to be an AT&T store. I am relieved.Les Grivals would make sense in this space. It is indeed right next to the convienance store (which needs to be gone by the time the Pavillions open.....it is an eyesore).
I don't know if we can stand to lose the Chester Fried Chicken from that dump. Something needs to be done about the bums on that block. Just walking along infront of Macy's most days you can smell the piss.

Oh they are there generally, begging and accosting woman. Just the other week I almost got into it with a guy who said "youra fine delicate flower, lets hook up" to a woman! (She seemed upset, yet kept walking.... and I couldn't just ignore it)

I try to not walk near there due to the smell! (I actually saw today someone working on the overhang roof -- some type of repair).

That is prime real-estate, I don't know why something better is not in that corner!

That is prime real-estate, I don't know why something better is not in that corner!

The owner of the convenience store is making money, is happy with the money he's making. He'd like to make the store and vacant space next door (that he owns) a lot better, but wants to find a tenant who could make it work, and with little financial commitment from him. He's open to ideas....

The Sakowitz bldg, I believe, is still up for sale, and a property transaction always slows things down.

The ATT store in the Reliant building in now gone. Where? Don't know.

They moved in to the old Krispy Kreme location @ McKinney & Main.

EDIT - Hizzy beat me to it. Tough to read through the long threads.....

On a related note, I noticed that an art gallery (I think) moved in to a spot in the Humble Oil/Residence Inn/Courtyard Marriott building. It looked like all they had were a bunch of oddly colored Nike's and a suit of armor, so they might be a wierd shoe store.

Edited by Nate99
Haha yeah it's a shoe store that looks like an art gallery.

Ah, makes more sense that way, I suppose. I just didn't see any indication that they were selling shoes on their signs, just a reference of some kind to art. I need to pay more attention. Seems like a tough place for retail at the moment, but maybe selling something so specialized will bring people in. Should be better one the HP open up, hope that they can make it that long.

If anything, retail will probably hold it's breath in the area until HP opens up. There are too many disruptions and not enough foot traffic at the moment to fully justify a location there.

once HP opens up and they see people are walking around, then I would expect more proper retail.

That reminds me (and I know this is the wrong thread for it), but I wonder if that convenience store on walker and main will thrive or not survive the construction at Mainspace.

That reminds me (and I know this is the wrong thread for it), but I wonder if that convenience store on walker and main will thrive or not survive the construction at Mainspace.

Is that the "Just a $1.19" store? One might hope that it does not make it given the crackhead congregation that hangs around out front, although with as many construction workers as it will take to build that tower, I imagine that it could do very well selling gatorade and cigarettes by the truckload during the summer.

If anything, retail will probably hold it's breath in the area until HP opens up. There are too many disruptions and not enough foot traffic at the moment to fully justify a location there.

once HP opens up and they see people are walking around, then I would expect more proper retail.

My thoughts exactly.

I walked by again today and noticed some new postings. They are advertising the space as the "Grand Louvre" (you know......kind of like Paris), encompassing 10 individually leased booths for everything from "sunglasses, perfumes, to souvenirs."

I don't think this is the ideal kind of development to augment the Pavillions.

Well, you would imagine that it would be timed better, like within a month or so of HP's opening.

I'm not entirely sure how it would work out, but it should be interesting to watch, but their timing might be their own undoing.

QUOTE(The Great Hizzy! @ Wednesday, November 7th, 2007 @ 8:47am)

Probably just small, cosmetic changes.

The owner is fixing it up for future occupancy, is looking for potential tenants. Any ideas?

Well for starters he may want to get rid of his store next door. That place is a vagrant vestibule.

I finally got to go to an American Apparel recently in Chicago. I'm sorry to say that it was unimpressive, to say the least. At first I thoght American Airlines had opened a ticket office, but then I realised American Apparel just uses the same font for their name.

I disagree... I like American Apparel... they have great body-fitting t-shirts and fun, colorful underwear... among other things. :)

I'm with you... I'm not sure I've ever described any pair of underwear I own as "fun"
Well I feel sorry for you! :P he he

On another note... I see they updated their "opening" date to fall 2007... kind of stupid since fall 2007 is almost over already and they haven't even started on the store. :rolleyes: ohwell

Edited by HtownWxBoy
  • 3 weeks later...

From an article on GlobeSt.com:

Younan also is looking into converting the first floor of the attached garage, totaling 25,000 sf, into retail space. He says the team is performing due diligence to determine if the estimated $2-million to $3-million conversion tab will be cost-effective in the long run.

http://www.globest.com/news/1047_1047/houston/166448-1.html

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This morning I saw someone measuring the windows and such. (He looked to be in the construction field)

I would certainly hope so.

If it was someone in the law (Red?) or a homeless guy, I'd be greatly concerned.

This morning I saw someone measuring the windows and such. (He looked to be in the construction field)

Very soon will become the site for very lavish events. Sounds way off but it's true. Can divulge later. There is at least one very grand deal that will be held there in about 2 months, so there must be plans for a reception & dance area. No joke. :)

Very soon will become the site for very lavish events. Sounds way off but it's true. Can divulge later. There is at least one very grand deal that will be held there in about 2 months, so there must be plans for a reception & dance area. No joke. :)

Reception Hall and dancing? Throw that awesome parking ramp and you're talking a considerable amount of fun.

Imaging doing the Samba while cars zip up and down the ramp.

Reception Hall and dancing? Throw that awesome parking ramp and you're talking a considerable amount of fun.

Imaging doing the Samba while cars zip up and down the ramp.

Anything is possible after a few Martini's! :ph34r::lol:

It's possible it will be on the roof? All is know is AIA is having annual Gala Celebrating Architecture 2008 Window Shopping. Attire, cheeky vintage/black tie, live orchestra, valet parking , etc. Someone better get a hammering & nailing...it's this weekend! Yeoeee!

Strike up the band!

I read in this month's envy mag, that AA is going to be at 909 Texas (Rice Lofts). I cant remember if there are any open spaces at the Rice, does anyone know if one of the restaurants is closing?

I saw that too. The AA website still says Main St. so who knows. I don't see the 909 Texas location as an ideal place.

I read in this month's envy mag, that AA is going to be at 909 Texas (Rice Lofts). I cant remember if there are any open spaces at the Rice, does anyone know if one of the restaurants is closing?

Interesting... the Main Street location would be better since it's right across from HP... but scattering retail around Downtown is also good.

It's a gala for RDA or something.

www.architectureweek.com/cgi-bin/calendar.cgi?id=18936

ArchitectureWeek Calendar

This design and building Events Calendar is provided by ArchitectureWeek. FFFFFF.gifFFFFFF.gifgrey_dot.gif

AIA Houston Presents Celebrate Architecture 2008

Former Sakowitz Building

1111 Main Street Garage

Houston, TX, USA

The American Institute of Architects, Houston Chapter, is pleased to announce the 2008 Celebrate Architecture Gala, benefiting the Houston Architecture Foundation, will be held in the historic 1951 Sakowitz Building. For one night only, the space, now known as 1111Main Garage, will evoke the glamour of the 1950s Houston Main Street shopping experience. It will include elements of the original interiors, as well as the trademark Sakowitz shop window vignettes, with live models showcasing authentic period fashions. Robert Sakowitz is expected to be in attendance. Partygoers will dine on a southern-inspired menu, groove to southwest soul sounds, and have the opportunity to bid on a range of high-end items through a silent auction. AIA Houston Firm of the Year and Young Architect of the Year honorees will also be announced. 7 PM - 12 AM.

April 26, 2008

www.architectureweek.com/cgi-bin/calendar.cgi?id=18936

ArchitectureWeek Calendar

This design and building Events Calendar is provided by ArchitectureWeek. FFFFFF.gifFFFFFF.gifgrey_dot.gif

AIA Houston Presents Celebrate Architecture 2008

Former Sakowitz Building

1111 Main Street Garage

Houston, TX, USA

The American Institute of Architects, Houston Chapter, is pleased to announce the 2008 Celebrate Architecture Gala, benefiting the Houston Architecture Foundation, will be held in the historic 1951 Sakowitz Building. For one night only, the space, now known as 1111Main Garage, will evoke the glamour of the 1950s Houston Main Street shopping experience. It will include elements of the original interiors, as well as the trademark Sakowitz shop window vignettes, with live models showcasing authentic period fashions. Robert Sakowitz is expected to be in attendance. Partygoers will dine on a southern-inspired menu, groove to southwest soul sounds, and have the opportunity to bid on a range of high-end items through a silent auction. AIA Houston Firm of the Year and Young Architect of the Year honorees will also be announced. 7 PM - 12 AM.

April 26, 2008

So do you think 50 years from now when (hopefully) Main Street in Downtown Houston is filled with shops and people once again they will have a party to evoke the "glamour" of 1990s/2000s Main Street Houston when there were no shops or people and people had to have parties to evoke the glamour of 1950s Houston.... just wondering. ^_^