H-Town Man

Future of Downtown

13 minutes ago, Luminare said:

I think this has been both a clarification and communication issue. I was merely using your quote as a launching point to a more general discussion about several threads which have discussed Forever 21's bankruptcy which was to be used as a more broader discussion on how some seem to be spelling doom of retail in downtown due to this one companies incompetence. Also people seem to be overly sensitive to the topic of retail in downtown.

You seem to be looking to discuss Forever 21 more in-depth which is not what I was looking to do in my statement. That is something that should have been pointed out and clarified. That is on me in that instance.

Other than that I stand by my general statement about what I'm seeing, and my focus is on that and not on Forever 21 specifically. That help?

Not really helpful, no.    You stated:

37 minutes ago, Luminare said:

...but all the sudden one retailer closes its doors in a retail development ...

Just trying to understand where -you- got that from? Not from any of other threads, that I took a quick glace at. Seems like you just made it up? So far, there is no evidence that the Forever 21 in downtown is closing. It may close in the future, indeed I hope it does not (see my post above), but in any event it seems like -you- where the one making knee jerk reactions. 

Just now, 102IAHexpress said:

Not really helpful, no.    You stated:

Just trying to understand where -you- got that from? Not from any of other threads, that I took a quick glace at. Seems like you just made it up? So far, there is no evidence that the Forever 21 in downtown is closing. It may close in the future, indeed I hope it does not (see my post above), but in any event it seems like -you- where the one making knee jerk reactions. 

No the problem here is that you seem to take everything literally. If you aren't going to accept my clarification which was an attempt in good faith then I'm going to have to infer that you are making your case in bad faith, and I think its just best that we disengage. I didn't even say that it was closing today or into the future, but bankruptcy does present that threat. They will close all their stores across the Atlantic, and might not stop there, but that has left some in a tizzy over it all. Clearly though you are fixated on one word, and if you aren't even going to look at the broader scope of what I said then I don't feel like this is a conversation that we can reasonably have or make productive.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Luminare said:

I didn't even say that it was closing today or into the future, but bankruptcy does present that threat.

You literally did. It's like I'm talking to Trump. We can all read what you posted.

Anyways, for those interested in -facts-, as of right now the downtown Forever 21 has been spared. Very good news for downtown. I would suggest we all try to limit our "knee jerk" reactions before facts are posted. https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2019/10/01/forever-21-closings-list-these-178-stores-could-close/3833982002/

9 hours ago, 102IAHexpress said:

You literally did. It's like I'm talking to Trump. We can all read what you posted.

Anyways, for those interested in -facts-, as of right now the downtown Forever 21 has been spared. Very good news for downtown. I would suggest we all try to limit our "knee jerk" reactions before facts are posted. https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2019/10/01/forever-21-closings-list-these-178-stores-could-close/3833982002/

Considering your post history this seems to be how you normally engage with most which is rather unfortunate. I probably should have further clarified that it would have been a "potential" closure. That would be fair, but again you aren't asking for that in good faith. You are so militant, and being such a royal prick, that instead of making that clarification I'm simply going to state that, for your sake, I hope they all close just to take the piss out of you haha. You clearly are overly sensitive to the point you can't handle people approaching things in a way that isn't exactly how you wish to approach them which essentially makes you look like a child. Post away, but this isn't worth my time. Wish you the best.

• Like 3

As of now, Forever 21 in Downtown is NOT closings its doors, Forever 21 has not died. These are just facts. I have no idea why Luminare claimed otherwise? This may be better suited for another thread on declining societal norms, but for some reason people can’t admit when they are wrong anymore and instead engage in ad hominem attacks and get defensive. HAIF can do better. 

3 hours ago, Texasota said:

Nice touch talking *about* him rather than *to* him. That's just *chef's kiss* level of dickishness.

I appreciate it Tex, but I think its more the fact that apparently the community is at fault in all this? "HAIF can do better". How dare HAIF give a platform to those with differing opinions! HAIF shall remain pure! HAIF can do better....like Twitter! Shame on me. Shame on HAIF! haha The community and I must repent Tex haha.

Feel good redemption story on how Downtown went from office buildings and parking lots, to an actual neighborhood. Also talks about how building residential in Downtown isn't a pioneering effort anymore, and the fact that residential life is finally taking root.  

https://www.bisnow.com/houston/news/multifamily/no-longer-pioneering-downtown-living-is-finally-taking-root-101107

• Like 5

18 hours ago, HoustonMidtown said:

Downtown Forever 21 closing....

49008763783_4912dad547_k.jpgUntitled by Houston Midtown, on Flickr

Not sad... did anyone ever really go there? Feel like we can put something better there...

3 hours ago, Triton said:

Not sad... did anyone ever really go there? Feel like we can put something better there...

It’s a loss no matter how you slice it IMO, one of the few “major” retailers Downtown.  Realistically what would you like to see?

• Like 4

Not as many people go to Forever 21 anymore though, hence the bankruptcy. You need a large amount of retail to enter that market at the same time so you have a viable place for people to go to, to walk around for clothes shopping.

4 hours ago, nate4l1f3 said:

It’s a loss no matter how you slice it IMO, one of the few “major” retailers Downtown.  Realistically what would you like to see?

I think Zara would do better. Whenever I travel and visit Zara, it’s busy and would probably fit the DT residents, workers and tourists. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, quietstorm said:

I think Zara would do better. Whenever I travel and visit Zara, it’s busy and would probably fit the DT residents, workers and tourists. 

I feel like Zara, Forever 21, and H&M all have the same customer base. I would love a Zara here though. 

• Like 1

Yup. Reasonably priced with styles similar to H&M and Zara. They’re only doing 10% off denim at this location right now. 

Edited by nate4l1f3

That store was always empty.

I remember walking around downtown when my family was here during the summer and taking a break to cool off inside the store. There was almost no one there other than the employees at the front counter. 

Isn't the LifeTime Fitness taking over this space as well, or a different section?

31 minutes ago, CaptainJilliams said:

That store was always empty.

I remember walking around downtown when my family was here during the summer and taking a break to cool off inside the store. There was almost no one there other than the employees at the front counter. 

Isn't the LifeTime Fitness taking over this space as well, or a different section?

Lifetime is going into the space next door to it that used to house Books-A-Million