Dot Coffee Shop At 7006 I-45 S.

EastEnd Susan

Is the Dot Coffee shop still there? I remember it being in front of Gulfgate mall right off 45. It was a nice place to go for breakfast before we went shopping. The people there were so friendly and they didnt serve your bill with your breakfast like so many places do now. What a nice way to say "hurry up, eat and get out of here."

it is still there - but the last couple times i went, i either never got seated or never waited on. so i left. :(

the waitstaff there completely ignored my party and another couple that had come in about the same time as we did.

edit - thinking back, i am pretty sure it was a sunday late morning/early afternoon. i should know better than to compete with the church crowds. :rolleyes:

Yep. We eat there about one a quarter.

Good stuff.

Do you remember if this was a Kip's before? Nobody in my family can seem to remember.

My wife and I eat breakfast there every once in a while. Weekends are definitely busy...there's often a line out the door, so don't feel too bad Sevfiv. You may want to take up smoking...that sometimes helped us get a table. :D

Midtown, I swear that place used to be a Kip's Big Boy, but I thought someone here said it was always a Dot Diner. I have a memory of coloring in my "BJ and the Bear" coloring book while sitting at the Big Boy...and of course I remember the "Big Boy" outside the window.

Weekends are definitely busy...there's often a line out the door, so don't feel too bad Sevfiv. You may want to take up smoking...that sometimes helped us get a table. :D

well, i don't think that was quite the issue (we requested smoking to begin with and were sat, given the cold shoulder thereafter), but that's another topic for another time in a far away land...heh

My wife and I eat breakfast there every once in a while. Weekends are definitely busy...there's often a line out the door, so don't feel too bad Sevfiv. You may want to take up smoking...that sometimes helped us get a table. :D

Midtown, I swear that place used to be a Kip's Big Boy, but I thought someone here said it was always a Dot Diner. I have a memory of coloring in my "BJ and the Bear" coloring book while sitting at the Big Boy...and of course I remember the "Big Boy" outside the window.

I don't remember it being a Kips but its could have been. I went there in the 60's and 70's. The only Kips I remember was on Griggs diagonal from Palm Center and next door to the Shakeys Pizza. Kips had the best sauce on their burgers. Yum.

I may be saying something you all know...but I believe it's owned by Pappa's Restaurants.

nothing is mentioned of it on the pappas' main site...

hcad lists the owners as:

DETERING TRUST NO 2

JOINT VENTURE

PO BOX 27339

HOUSTON TX 77227-7339

what the heck is that? :)

----------------------------------------------

EDIT: the next property, 7050 Gulf freeway, is also owned by Detering Trust, and it is a Pappas BBQ...bleh

I remember a kips big boy at monroe and 45 which is now a connies seafood. Ghetto dogfood.

Man dots was my joint before the prices went up. Fried cheese and chicken strips after drinkin all nite was the best drunk food ever before they started chargin 12.95 for it.

nothing is mentioned of it on the pappas' main site...

hcad lists the owners as:

DETERING TRUST NO 2

JOINT VENTURE

PO BOX 27339

HOUSTON TX 77227-7339

what the heck is that? :)

----------------------------------------------

EDIT: the next property, 7050 Gulf freeway, is also owned by Detering Trust, and it is a Pappas BBQ...bleh

I'm pretty sure the Dot is a Pappas venture. My next door neighbor is a cook there and he is always wearing Pappas paraphenalia.

It used to the on the Pappa's Web site.

I know, becuase I used to get Pappa's BBQ phone number off there for take-away when I lived in Midtown.

But it appears the Web site has been totally overhauled.

But all you have to do is look at the packs of Sugar. Still says Pappadeaux.

But now that I think about it, you don't see Luby's on the new site either, and Pappas owns the, too.

It used to the on the Pappa's Web site.

I know, becuase I used to get Pappa's BBQ phone number off there for take-away when I lived in Midtown.

But it appears the Web site has been totally overhauled.

But all you have to do is look at the packs of Sugar. Still says Pappadeaux.

But now that I think about it, you don't see Luby's on the new site either, and Pappas owns the, too.

Recent Chron article discussing Pappas relationship with Luby's (it also mentions Dot):

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive....id=2005_4002834

I remember a kips big boy at monroe and 45 which is now a connies seafood. Ghetto dogfood.

Man dots was my joint before the prices went up. Fried cheese and chicken strips after drinkin all nite was the best drunk food ever before they started chargin 12.95 for it.

I must be thinking about the one at Monroe. Thanks for clearing that up for me...

By the way, I think Connie's changed their name to Mannie's Seafood. They took the "CO" off the Connie's sign and added an "MA". I always laugh at the sign when I drive by on the Gulf Freeway...never been there. Is that what you're referring to as ghetto dogfood?

• 1 year later...
Is the Dot Coffee shop still there? I remember it being in front of Gulfgate mall right off 45. It was a nice place to go for breakfast before we went shopping. The people there were so friendly and they didnt serve your bill with your breakfast like so many places do now. What a nice way to say "hurry up, eat and get out of here."

Nowadays Starbucks and Waffle House are slowly replacing the privately-owned "mom & pop" coffee shops and diners. Starbucks has so many different favors of "coffee" that a lot of people who go there probably have never drank a cup of regular, straight java. But at least Waffle House waits to give you your check after you've finished eating your meal.

Pappas brothers had the two Dot Shops first, Gulfgate and downtown, then the first two Brisket Houses, Gulfgate and downtown. They had the Strawberry Patch, followed by Circus, which didn't make it and they changed it to Pappadeaux. After the Circus came the first Pappas Seafood at Sharpstown. Then the ball really got rolling. I worked for them way back when and helped Chris Pappas put together the Circus. The Pappas family is very hard working and deserves all the success they have gotten. It was not unusual to see Chris or Harris filling in for an absent cook or eating his lunch with the busboys. Harris's twin sister, Vicky, started a business making uniforms for the family's restaurants' employees and also awnings. Chris told me that when they were putting together the Patch, awnings were so expensive, he decided to make his own. So, he bought a used industrial sewing machine and got after it. Good people.

Nowadays Starbucks and Waffle House are slowly replacing the privately-owned "mom & pop" coffee shops and diners. Starbucks has so many different favors of "coffee" that a lot of people who go there probably have never drank a cup of regular, straight java. But at least Waffle House waits to give you your check after you've finished eating your meal.

Waffle house? I havent seen one but on college? and 45. The one in Pasadena closed.

i think that's a taqueria tapatia now

Last time I drove down College, it was still there. There was one on Shaver in Pasadena/South Houston. It's closed, and got moved to a new location on Fairmont Pkwy, between BW8 and Preston. There's also another one further down Fairmont in La Porte. It's just West of Hwy. 146. The Tapatia is in an old Kettle, on the corner of I-45 & Airport.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o54/solar-fed/Waffle.jpg

(I'm at work, so I only have MS Paint. Sorry.)

Last time I drove down College, it was still there. There was one on Shaver in Pasadena/South Houston. It's closed, and got moved to a new location on Fairmont Pkwy, between BW8 and Preston. There's also another one further down Fairmont in La Porte. It's just West of Hwy. 146.

gotcha...we must be talking two different things. this is on the airport side on the same corner as denny's, next to the old gemco/sams.

EDIT: now i'm thinking it was a kettle. my bad.

i think that's a taqueria tapatia now

We have the absolute worst Waffle House in the world in League City. Its so bad we call it the Awffle House. If I get mad at anyone I threaten to take them to Awffle House. Its located right off the Gulf Frwy League City exit and right on 518. Its very tiny and the food is just nasty. I think the only reason its there is for the old timers to sit, smoke and visit. Even the yellow roof is covered in mold. Eeeek!!!!

Wev'e been going to Dot's for so long I cant even remember when we 1st walked in the place. To this day we still discuss how nice and spacious it was made really modern for its day. The interior is just as nice and plenty of room for those TV's overhead. The only thing we gripe about is how expensive it has got! Too much. The hamburger meal used to be less than $5.00 about 6 years ago now its almost 7-8 bucks for 1 burger alone that's ridiculous. This is the reason people hit buffets instead. They figure is same price may as well stuff ourselves? Now I do love their coffee can never get enough! :P

PS Waffle House sued to be very reasonable too, but they have gotten ridiculous with prices too. They are also so far away from us here! :unsure: Build one on Lawndale...please... someone!

It appears that I was wrong. I assumed that a big city like Houston would have a lot of Waffle Houses.

There are a few around. Two I know of are BW8 @ Hardy Toll Road (airport area) and 1960 just east of I45. I have the impression there is, or was, one in Baytown near SJ mall (we used to go to Cracker Barrel there), and that there may be one on I45 N towards Conroe.

Archived