Looking For Holiday Light Grinches

editor

I have to agree with Santa that white lights are boring. I much prefer color light displays, but they don't seem to be that popular new. I wonder why that is.

I personally think they are tacky, but that's me. A white light Christmas tree has a more classier vibe than the colorful lights.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah, well that explains it! I think I am a remarkably poor judge of what constitutes tacky. :lol: I am doomed to bad taste! :lol:

If you think about it though, Christmas is kind of tacky to begin with. Trying to make it tasteful kind of strikes me like trying to make a circus tasteful. But then again I admit I'm not the right boy to ask.

Editor, I drove by Exxon HQ downtown last night on the way home and they have their display up. Nothing new or fancy, just the same simple classy display they've had for years. Of course it helps that they actually have trees and shrubs on their multi-tiered plaza that allows them to place christmas lights all over instead of a vast expanse of concrete.

Off topic, but have y'all seen http://www.uglychristmaslights.com?

:lol:

A couple of years ago, some people in my sister's neighborhood had a mechanical santa up in a deer stand with a rifle waving it down in the direction of a mechanical Rudolph. Some neighbors complained it was scaring some of the little kids and politely asked them to maybe remove the rifle. Instead, they actually repositioned santa for a better shot and increased the illumination on Rudolph. Needless to say, these people aren't invited to many neighborhood Christmas partys.

Santa pickin' off Rudolph...you would have had to see it... :lol:

B)

Look at this one. lol!

http://www.uglychristmaslights.com/2004_co..._permieter.html

If I were a little kid, I'd be scared to walk through this yard.

http://www.uglychristmaslights.com/2004_co...hess_board.html

Daaaaaang!

http://www.uglychristmaslights.com/2004_co...ght_siding.html

I'm sorry for highjacking this thread, Editor. I'll open a new one for this on the off topic forum.

"classier vibe"?!!

Do you not know what holiday this even IS?

Classy my red suited ass. We got a supposed savior being born in a barn (historians actually put his birthday somewhat later, march i believe). A old guy in a Red suit, being slung around the world by deer.

Garland, reefs, pinecones, chocolate, tacky gifts, kids begging for presents, panhandlers wearing santa hats (God I love that!) We Cut down literally THOUSANDS of live trees to be then stood in your living room covered with your old crap from past years.

I mean, this is THE holiday for kitsch. Kick classy to the curb Brother, Its our time to shine. We may not be your classy but we are colorful classy and certainly not boring.

You also may wanna leave the 'tude at home when ya go check out the neighborhoods off of Scott and Yellowstone. They got the Spirit. Although something tells me you would never be found in that neighbor hood after dark.

GOD I LOVE THE HOLIDAYS.

Bwaaa ha haaa.

I mean, Ho Ho Ho

Santa

I personally think they are tacky, but that's me. A white light Christmas tree has a more classier vibe than the colorful lights.

Lights in the Heights isn't TOO bad. Still a tad of a yawner for me. The best part is the group of drunken Santas that tend to crash it each year. Listen to their song lyrics. heh heh

And I don;t know why they call them Ugly at uglychristmaslights.com. I would be Proud to have any of the houses on Ugly Lights to be my Neighbor. Jeez, what country are youse guys from anyway? Russia? China? CANADA?!!!

Me? I am an American. Red, White and Blue flashing twinkling lights American. With glow in the dark Madonnas and a Rudolph whose nose lights up.

If any of you would like to join my free tour next week of great Houston sites then email me for time and location. bring the kids, the grandparents and all enlightened individuals.

get it? enlightened? Bwaa haa haa. God I kill me.

Papa Claus

Added to the Calendar.

"classier vibe"?!!

Classy my red suited ass. We got a supposed savior being born in a barn (historians actually put his birthday somewhat later, march i believe). A old guy in a Red suit, being slung around the world by deer.

Garland, reefs, pinecones, chocolate, tacky gifts, kids begging for presents, panhandlers wearing santa hats (God I love that!) We Cut down literally THOUSANDS of live trees to be then stood in your living room covered with your old crap from past years.

I mean, this is THE holiday for kitsch. Kick classy to the curb Brother, Its our time to shine. We may not be your classy but we are colorful classy and certainly not boring.

You also may wanna leave the 'tude at home when ya go check out the neighborhoods off of Scott and Yellowstone. They got the Spirit. Although something tells me you would never be found in that neighbor hood after dark.

GOD I LOVE THE HOLIDAYS.

Bwaaa ha haaa.

I mean, Ho Ho Ho

Santa

nmainguy suggests santaclauser lay off the cheap scotch laden egg-nog, the crack cocaine and turn in for a long winter's nap-and keep all heavy machinery away from him.

B)

"classier vibe"?!!

GOD I LOVE THE HOLIDAYS.

Bwaaa ha haaa.

I mean, Ho Ho Ho

Santa

LOL. Love the contrast in your post and screen name. Minus the car. Whatever the hell that means. ;)

nmainguy suggests santaclauser lay off the cheap scotch laden egg-nog, the crack cocaine and turn in for a long winter's nap-and keep all heavy machinery away from him.

B)

Hey Nmainguy, I got your heavy machinery. OK, not even sure what that meant.

But seriously (ok hardly ever) I ain't got time to nap. Things to do, like rehearsals. Come to Warrens this wednesday the 7th to see my annual presentation of a Historical Reinactment fo the Bombing of Pearl Harbor starring 40 or so Santas. Bring the kids, I said it was historical. 9pm at Market Square or come an hour early and watch the santas play at Warrens. Wear a suit and join them. They may not even recognize you.

I do realize I may have been a tad harsh on some of ya but seriously its the holidays. If we take them too seriously you end up being one of those folks on Fox news where the neighbors go on and on about how you seemed like a nice person but kept mainly to himself.

Lighten up and Raise some hell. It Freaking Christmas time. Ho Ho Ho

uhm, how often does someone get kicked off this forum?

no reason, no reason.

I do realize I may have been a tad harsh on some of ya but seriously its the holidays. If we take them too seriously you end up being one of those folks on Fox news where the neighbors go on and on about how you seemed like a nice person but kept mainly to himself.

OK, for that remark alone, I will be at Warren's next Wednesday. :lol:

Besides, it's the day after my 46th birthday. I think I'll need the laughs.

Hey Nmainguy, I got your heavy machinery. OK, not even sure what that meant.

But seriously (ok hardly ever) I ain't got time to nap. Things to do, like rehearsals. Come to Warrens this wednesday the 7th to see my annual presentation of a Historical Reinactment fo the Bombing of Pearl Harbor starring 40 or so Santas. Bring the kids, I said it was historical. 9pm at Market Square or come an hour early and watch the santas play at Warrens. Wear a suit and join them. They may not even recognize you.

Lighten up and Raise some hell. It Freaking Christmas time. Ho Ho Ho

uhm, how often does someone get kicked off this forum?

no reason, no reason.

You may not want to invite nmain access to your "heavy equiptment", he may take you up on it. ;):P:lol:

You may not want to invite nmain access to your "heavy equiptment", he may take you up on it. ;):P:lol:

Not to worry, santa...I'm a one-machine guy and he's in the other room. :)

As for you, TJ' well you're just a TROUBLE MAKER!!!! :angry::lol:

I must go now; my heavy machine becons. [probably to string more xmas lights or peel some grapes]

B)

Now, now, TJones, that sounded slightly judgemental and as we all know that type of thinking is not acceptable in the fair minded realm of architecture.

Judge not, lest ye be made part of a class action suit.

But seriously, I am going to go against better judgement, I do that a lot, and invite the bunch of you wild cats to join me on Sunday, Dec 11th, as I lead a caravan of art cars and others around the city to see MY favorite lighted houses and neigborhoods.

Just join us at Dan Electro's in the Heights around 7pm. You can arrive earlier and enjoy the New Birth Brass band that plays there every sunday. They be the real deal.

If you are interested in seeing these remarkable holiday homes email me so I can make sure i have plenty of itineraries.

yours in illumination,

Santa Car

Not to worry, santa...I'm a one-machine guy and he's in the other room. :)

As for you, TJ' well you're just a TROUBLE MAKER!!!! :angry::lol:

I must go now; my heavy machine becons. [probably to string more xmas lights or peel some grapes]

B)

It might be a Merry Xmas afterall. ;):lol::lol::lol:

Come to Warrens this wednesday the 7th to see my annual presentation of a Historical Reinactment fo the Bombing of Pearl Harbor starring 40 or so Santas. Bring the kids, I said it was historical. 9pm at Market Square or come an hour early and watch the santas play at Warrens.

sounds like fun :D

sounds like fun :D

Did any of you actually make it out to the reinactment? Someone from the list came out for the light cruise sunday night but we lost them in the first hour.

They may have been afraid to go to the second stop.

But if you still have the directions I really think you should go check out the site in Pasadena. Absolutely amazing. beyond belief. Stunning and festive.

Papa Claus

O.K. Time to get serious. Here's the lists:

Best Christmas Displays

1. Foley's Downtown

2. Highland Village

3. Four Oaks Place

4. River Oaks Shopping Center

5. Exxon Building (downtown)

Christmas Grinches

1. Pennzoil Plaza

We need to rank the first list, and add to the second one.

O.K. Time to get serious. Here's the lists:

Best Christmas Displays

1. Foley's Downtown

2. Highland Village

3. Four Oaks Place

4. River Oaks Shopping Center

5. Exxon Building (downtown)

Christmas Grinches

1. Pennzoil Plaza

We need to rank the first list, and add to the second one.

FOLEYS?!! Poo on them ever they replaced the window displays of all the Santas from around the world. I really liked that for some reason.

Also in the Best list you did not mention my car. If i knew how to post a photo I would. Otherwise you will just have to take my word for it.

Anyone wanting directions to the site in Pasadena just let me know and I will send it to you. Merry Freaking Christmas. There I said it.

That holiday greeting goes out to ALL my friends. the Jewish ones, the Buddhist ones, my wonderful Hindu nieghbors, all my Muslim brothers and especially all my agnostic and pagan Bros and Sisses. And look, saying Merry Christmans publically and the world keeps spinning, commerce continues to thrive, babies being born, taxes being collected. Huh, guess it really can't hurt to wish someone Merry Christmas. Up Yours Grinches!! And get a grip.

Uhm, new meds should be arriving any day now.

Also in the Best list you did not mention my car. If i knew how to post a photo I would. Otherwise you will just have to take my word for it.

He is right you know, if he is that crazy dude that teaches defensive driving at the Joking Defensive Driving. That car is just festering with chrismas joy!

Archived