Looking For Holiday Light Grinches

editor

I've been thinking about how Houston decorates for the holiday. Many buildings go all out with huge light displays like Foley's, or that development over by the Galleria that's always lit up light a winter wonderland. Sometimes even skyscrapers get into the act. Some years the Williams Tower has a Christmas tree lit on on its sides. I remember at least one year the (now) Fullbright Tower downtown had one made of red and green lights on the southern face. It was pretty cool.

So, what I'm looking for is a list of the best and worst holiday displays. And by worst I mean real Grinches. Buildings that are high profile or have high profile tenants who don't decorate for the holiday or do a really crappy job at it.

Over the next few weeks keep your eyes open and tell me the best and worst buildings. We'll compile a list and put out a press release for the holidays. Who knows? Maybe we might be able to shame some of these buildings into the spirit of the season.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I noticed that Highland Village was putting up their big red bows on top of buildings today. The effect is both traditional and chic, cheerful and appropriate to the buildings. Tasteful and original! One of my favorites.

River Oaks Shopping Center on W. Gray always wraps their palm trees in lights. It looks elegantly festive.

On the other hand, my brother's neighborhood in The Woodlands (near McCullough) outlines their properties with green "rope lights" every year. It keeps growing. The neighborhood has won best decoration for the last several years, even though it is a gaudy display. They call it their "Griswald Family Christmas" display. :lol:

I'm afraid I have lost my appreciation for most of these decorations, so I guess I am Grinch number 1! A few years back I helped a friend that owns the company that does them. I supervised the distribution of the decorations and after working the mad 16 hour days trying to get all that stuff out basically at once, I never wanted to see it EVER again! They have so many of the big accounts and of course everyone wants it installed around the same time. (Highland, River Oaks, Meyerland, Champions Village, Woodlands, Deerbrook, etc) I really don't know how they do it and stay sane. Now knowing more of what is involved in making it happen, I just can't look at them the same!!

Can anyone tell me the neighborhood NW part of Houston that really get into the decorating, I may be confusing it with a neighborhood just north of 610 and TC Jester. Can someone help me? ^_^

Shepherd Park Plaza always out does itself. It is between Ella and Sheperd north of 43rd and south of Pinemont.

B)

• 2 weeks later...

There is a house just off of Memorial outside the Loop on Holly Rhode Ln. Its the fourth right heading out past 610. Its a dead end and I am betting he is really irritating ALL of his neighbors.

Plus the neighborhoods off of Yellowstone and Scott St are really great. Not boring like Oak Forest. White Lights, I get it. over and over and Yawn. Add some color Oak Forest.

And the very best is in Pasadena at the corner of Sycamore and Lilac just off the Beltway. It is truly truly awesome and has a huge miniature holiday themed train exhibit.

Tell em the art cars sent ya.

Rev Bryan

I've been thinking about how Houston decorates for the holiday. Many buildings go all out with huge light displays like Foley's, or that development over by the Galleria that's always lit up light a winter wonderland. Sometimes even skyscrapers get into the act. Some years the Williams Tower has a Christmas tree lit on on its sides. I remember at least one year the (now) Fullbright Tower downtown had one made of red and green lights on the southern face. It was pretty cool.

So, what I'm looking for is a list of the best and worst holiday displays. And by worst I mean real Grinches. Buildings that are high profile or have high profile tenants who don't decorate for the holiday or do a really crappy job at it.

Over the next few weeks keep your eyes open and tell me the best and worst buildings. We'll compile a list and put out a press release for the holidays. Who knows? Maybe we might be able to shame some of these buildings into the spirit of the season.

Shepherd Park Plaza?!!! You have got to be kidding? BOR-ING!! Block after block after block of white lights. I get it, Its meant to look elegant but everything looks the same. Again....BOR-ING. For some true diversity go check out the streets just off of Yellowstone and Scott St. WOW!!!

Shepherd Park Plaza always out does itself. It is between Ella and Sheperd north of 43rd and south of Pinemont.

B)

Archived